Help with clutch??

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by CatHerder, Feb 21, 2016.

1. CatHerder

CatHerder New Member

United States
    Map
    Bought my 2000 late last fall. First time with a bike hydraulic clutch. Noticed that my disengage/engage point is almost right at the beginning of pulling the lever.
    I've read several threads, but can't seem to get the engagement point any better.
    Bike has 13,000 miles, and had seen limited use for the last two years or so. I changed out the fluid and removed the slave cylinder, checked and lubed the rod, and bled the system.
    No change.
    Took it for a short ride yesterday, and the way I was riding seemed like the first time I'd ever been on a bike and that was 48 years ago...
    I've removed the clip in the master that covers the return hole and siphoned out some of the fluid to see if there is any movement. Working the lever, I see no fluid movement out of the small hole.
    How much should I see? I've attempted to clean the hole with a small wire, but seem to get nowhere.
    What I can see of the plunger/spring assembly through the larger doesn't seem to show any huge amount of buildup or contamination.
    Spring is around the corner and I sure as heck don't want to pop for a new master.

2. mofo

mofo New Member

United States
    Map
    I wouldn't worry about it. Mine is the first hydraulic clutch bike that I own and noticed that right away as well.
    Talking with owners of different bikes and having ridden a few others, seems to me that's how they are. Not sure if there is something you can do to get the friction feel like a clutch cable.

3. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    change the fluid

4. CatHerder

CatHerder New Member

United States
    Map
    Already done. I replaced the fluid and bled the system when I removed the slave cylinder to make sure the clutch rod was clean and lubed.
    No fluid movement has me wondering if the small hole is plugged and that will cause the clutch not to fully engage or slip.
    When I first rode it last fall, I thought there was a slight, occasional slip. It was never consistent though. I may have had slight pressure on the lever.
    Like mentioned..... Always had a clutch cable before.
    Thanks for the input

5. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
  6. CatHerder

CatHerder New Member

United States
    Map
    Update.....
    I did get the fluid moving, and boy does it move! I tried a better wire and small needle nose pliers to grip it better and got the small hole cleaned out. Shot a blurb out-missed everything and landed on the garage floor.
    I had the bike covered with plastic and toweled just in case. Put the clip back in place, and didn't see movement so removed and tried again, same result. Reinstalled clip and refilled, hopefully good to go.
    I guess the wire wasn't stiff enough and I had to push harder (have fun with that)...
    Thanks for the quick replies and help. Appreciate it