Help with hid kit

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by arond006, Feb 9, 2013.

1. arond006

arond006 New Member

United States
    Map
    Who can recommend a good hid kit for a 2003 vfr. Thanks

2. soloii-74

soloii-74 New Member

United States
    Map
    I had good luck (so far) with the ones I got from Coremoto.

Here is the write up I did last summer.

I have ridden at night, and have been pleased overall with the performance & the overall illumination I have - in spite of what some have posted regarding the focal length of the reflectors and the poor positioning of the HID lamps, etc.. :unsure: I am well versed in the physics involved in optics, but this still seems to work pretty well. I almost never get flashed by oncoming traffic, but it does seem that those in front get annoyed at some dazzle from their mirrors. :boink: :hand: It is pretty obvious that overall I am way more visible than with standard halogen lamps. :attention: :thumb: On cloudy days I can see obvious reflection back from road signs - from ground level up to stop sign/speed limit sign height. :thumbsup:

http://vfrworld.com/forums/6th-generation-2002-2009/39123-07-rwb-modifications-exhaust-hid-low-beams.html#post365077

Good luck.

3. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Scubalong is the HID guru here so hopefully he will chirp in. I put on a complete set of Nova HID a couple years back. Complete four light set. DON'T DO IT! Nova seems to have a huge problem with their ballasts when mine were manufactured. They do have a lifetime warranty but the number of times I have burned out a ballast, it is a real pain in the ass.

One thing you need to keep in mind with the HID's though, especially on the 6th gen with its four light system, even though the HID draws considerably less power to run than the regular incandescent lamps, they do draw far more while they are heating up which takes upward of 12 - 14 seconds from cold. That is no problem with just the low beams but if you fire it up with all four lights on, you are going to blow the fuse. Unfortunately all four lights are on one fuse. Simply a stupid design but that is what Honda did. Some up the amperage of the fuse, but that is wrong. SO just make sure when you shut the bike down, you turn off your high beams if you are using them.

Before you buy, look at the Pias lights. They may be a better choice. I also put the same HIDs on my truck. Lows highs and fogs. If I were to do that over again, for the truck anyways, I would go for the Pias. With the HID, if you find that you suddenly need your high beams, you have to wait the 12 seconds for them to warm up. On the bike it isn't to bad because you still have your low beams to use, but the 03 GMC and Chevy trucks, the low beams go out when you hit the highs. Major ass pucker in the dark first time that happened to me.

4. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    If you want just the low beam with a budget try DDM tuning. They are plug and play small hand needed for install without removing the front fairing. If ou want better quality plug and play go with philllip
    If you want to do it right then project dome would be the way to go. Couple members here did the Reflector dome and they look sick.