Hi Guys

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Derby Donkey, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Derby Donkey

Derby Donkey New Member

United Kingdom
    Purchased and restored a 1989 interceptor and everything went well until I discovered caramel in the engine, like an idiot I restored the bike on the basis it had an Rc24 engine but discovered it had an Rc07 engine. The confusion came about because it has gear driven cams where as the sabre rc07 engines have chain driven, I think the problem happened because the heads were torqued to 37nm as per the rc24 engine.
    So guys has anyone heard of an rc07 engine in the VFR or did I by a pig, and if not which model parts and torque settings should I use. Trawled the net for weeks with nothing but conflicting information, Honda reckon it's a Vf750 interceptor engine but they have chain driven cams were as my are gear driven.
    Any factual information would be extremely useful so I can rebuild correctly, cheers guys.

2. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hi DD and welcome to the Madhouse:Welcome:.

I cannot advise on Sabre engines but I wonder if you have some sort of breakers yard special? Certainly people do get creative if they have time and access to cheap/free parts so I am not suggesting it is a total mongrel - just someone's custom solution. As for the top being from a gear driven engine - is there any chance it is from an RVF750R? They are very rare homologation special beasties hence most parts are now unobtainium so it alone may be worth more than the rest.

It may be easier if you post up pictures of the bike/engine (click the upload a file link & follow the prompts to select and upload photos from your computer).

Take care

SkiMad

3. Derby Donkey

Derby Donkey New Member

United Kingdom
    Thanks SkiMad,
    Wish it was an RVF but that engine had fuel injection and the cam gears were moved to one side of the cylinders instead of central.
    Will post some pics soon, in the meantime forgot to mention that my rc07 also has a cam sensor in the front head.
    Cheers