History/Chronology of the VF/VFR Series

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Pops, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Pops

Pops New Member

Hey folks, as a recent inductee (victim?) into Interceptor ownership, I'm looking for wisdom, and quickly realized that VFRW is the place! A couple of weeks ago I rescued an 83 VF750F from a life of neglect and abuse. I posted in the Gen 1 forums to introduced myself, thanks for the warm welcome. I've always been a fan of the Interceptor line, but have never been motivated to dig into the chronology of the models until now. Is there a specific thread or group of threads here that document the different revisions of our bikes? Or is there another blog or website that does that? I'm interest in the tech specifications (for instance, timing chain vs gears) and model differences as the bike has evolved.
    I'm also extremely interested in researching the challenges Honda had with the Gen 1 bikes and what specifically I should be on the lookout for as I attempt to revive my project bike. Thanks folks!

2. invisible cities

invisible cities New Member

United States
    Map
    If I could suggest, pick up a copy of Julian Ryder's book, Honda's V-Force.

A great read and a must have for the library shelf, IMO.

3. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey Pops. If you look at the top left of your screen and click on teh "forums" button, then scroll down, you will see the various threads on the different generations. There's also a thread for specifications. You could probably find most of what you're looking for there.

As far as your restoring project goes, be prepared for a few things: 1. The naysaysers that will tell you its a waste of time and money. 2. Having difficultly finding parts. 3. Putting some cash into it. But the bottom line is that its your project, and if you want to do it, fuck what everyone else says.

4. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    just because I have something to say does not mean I want to get fucked

Honda VF History

5. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm sorry, your fingers were typing but all I heard was "blah blah blah I'm a filthy little whore". :)

6. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    :pound:

ok, it's true

@OP - good luck with your bike

7. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map

okay I almost spit coffee on my screen..... but it is true... Tink is a filthy little whore....

8. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    You can pretty much get a bit of the history here as we keep our message around forever. My original post when I joined the forum is here as are most of the regulars now. The site has been running continuously now for about 8 years I think. I also believe Michael (the owner) saved the archives from what was hondavfr.com (name was changed due to copyright by the big H). Another book about the history was by a neighbor of mine who writes (or at least used to) for Rider magazine. His name is Clem and I think the book is Amazon.com: Honda VF and VFR Interceptor (Whiteorse Press Collectors) (9781884313349): Clement Salvadori: Books

9. Pops

Pops New Member

Thanks for the quick responses guys, I appreciate it. Useful links and tips, I'm sure I'll be busy reading up for a while! Hopefully over time I'll be welcomed with the same warm enthusiasm I see you guy already share for each other. Truth is, I've been lurking here off and on for a number of months and have already followed a number of builds and resurrections - very impressive. It's obvious there are quite a few of y'all that really know your sh*t, and true to most forums, there are also a few wiseacres that are simply taken with a grain of salt. What really impresses me are the parts exchanges that sometimes happen, often for no more than snack cakes and postage!!!
    Back to bikes. Truth be told, if funds weren't a BIG issue in my house, I probably would have sprung for a later model Viffer. But since I'm an official Notoriously Cheap Bastard, I had to go for the Gen 1 advertised locally for 500 bux. Yes, I offered a lot less. Yes, he accepted my first offer. Maybe I should have taken that as a cue to quickly get back in the truck... but I couldn't bear the sight of the bike sitting out in the elements like that. I knew I had to rescue it.
    So please bear with me, I'll be back frequently for advice, encouragement, parts and the occasional beer. I've already downloaded the service manual. I think I'll also buy one off eBay...there's nothing quite like thumbing thru grease stained pages...

10. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Well if you've been lurking for a few months, you know we also like pictures. This site is kind of like Playboy magazine; we all SAY we're here for the articles.

Make sure you get some before and after pictures too. Post one up now as a matter of fact!

11. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    If the newer bike is what you'd prefer, you always have the option of parting that one out for profit. Keep your ear to the ground for the next steal.

Otherwise, just watch what you spend on this project. Get it running and rolling safely with the least amount of investment and you've always got the shot at doubling your money. Don't buy things that don't add any significant value to the resale of the bike (i.e. tires or a chain) compared with cosmetic items like broken panels, torn seats, and dented tanks.

12. Pops

Pops New Member

Okay, but I'm warning you...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  13. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    as a "notorious Cheap Bastard", that thing is likely to be a money pit.

first thing you need to do is pop those valve covers off and do a thorough cam inspection before spending a dime.

14. invisible cities

United States
    Map
    +1 on the above.

I'm a big fan of V4s but restoring this bike is a Sisyphean task, IMHO.

15. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    No need to resort to name calling :crazy:

16. invisible cities

United States
    Map
    I do hope this works out of the OP but wow, this bike is a real winter project!

[​IMG]

17. Pops

Pops New Member

That's why I bought it...gotta have something to keep the hands and mind busy. It gets cold here in Virginia!

But seriously folks, what's the best way to "check the cams"? Will a simple visual inspection tell me what I need to know? Do I need to measure the overall "lift" dimension - if so, is that possible without removing the cams?

18. invisible cities

United States
    Map
    The FSM will help guide you here.

You'll be able to see if there is wear on the surface of the cam lobes. While you have the covers off also check the valve lash. There is plenty of info on VFRW regarding the various techniques for this.

For reference, what you don't want to see is something like this (from a previous thread here covering a VF1000F rebuild)

[​IMG]

Good luck!

19. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    I have a PDF of the 83-85 700/750 FSM on my pc. If someone knows of a place I could down load it for anybody to up load let me know and I'll put it there. It is 37mb.
    I have a 83 only FSM and have found a few differences from the 83/85 manual. Just minor ones so far.

The 1983 is different bike in some areas compared to 84/85 that I've found. One being it came with tapered roller bearings in the steering stem. The handle bar switches are different in shape and the right one is wired different. Along with the taillight module box in the back being wired different. Carbs are jetted different. Alt side cover is different. The 83 has the nicer one IMO.

Doesn't look all that bad for a project bike. Total tear down and paint frame, motor etc. Solder the RR wires together instead of having a connector to join them. You'll never have RR problems that way. I have some parts stashed that I might let go if you need something. Let me know.

Good luck and have fun working on it.

Oh yea, SS brake lines are a must with competition pads. Along with a GOOD rear shock like a Fox Twin Clicker. Conti-Go tires work great seeing their is little choice. Stay away from Dunlop 501's. The rear is fine the front sucks the big kahuna on this bike. Which is was one my bike in the photo gallery. So you can see what not to buy.Nothing with a center line groove for one.

20. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    if you are leery about removing cams, this may not be the project bike for you.

start with the visual inspection per the info shown by Invisible Cities.

This bike will also require a tear down of the carbs and complete cleaning. Carbs on V4 are not "easy". Most novice mechanics with limited carb knowledge remove, clean, and reinstall the carb assembly five times before they get it right.

FYI - I'll just say it now - DON'T remove the plenum plate off the carbs! All four carbs must be removed as one assembly mounted on the air box plate and not removed individually.