Hitch mount Moto racks Any opinion?

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Jim McCulloch, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Jim McCulloch

Jim McCulloch New Member

United States
    Map
    After a near disaster unloading a VFR800 from the back of my truck, I am looking to alternatives.

I was thinking a trailer, but I see these hitch mount moto racks all over. They usually have dirt bikes on them.

They look convenient and it seems you could drive the bike right up on them.

Anybody actually use one? Opinions?

Boosh63 likes this.
  2. Boosh63

Boosh63 Member

Canada
    Map
    I'm going to watch this thread as well.

Boggles my mind how some people are able to load and unload their bike unassisted with ease and without incident and every time I try...my lower sphincter puckers up.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Jim McCulloch likes this.
  3. Colddevil

Colddevil Member

United States
    Map
    Bought one last year. Didn't feel confident with it at all with either the TW200 nor KE100 I wanted to put on the back. Sold it on Craigslist for half of what I paid a few weeks earlier. Granted, the KE100 was too short to fall into the wheel drop spots, and the TW200's ATV rear tire was too wide. I just did not feel comfortable with how you had to strap the things down.

So after that I nutted up and just learned how to walk the bikes up a pair of ramps into the bed. A 300lb bike is pretty simple with some practice. But 400+? I'm done with that. Too scary. I mentioned in another thread that I'm certain I'm going to dump the bike one of these times and hurt myself. I've got a 1720# Harbor Freight folding trailer on order that seems to be pretty highly recommended. I've never towed a thing in my life before. I'm sure I'll screw this up somehow.

2020-07-08 20.45.28.jpg

My buddy just picked one up as well. His sentiment was similar to mine, hah.

I wouldn't feel comfortable at all putting a VFR800 on a hitch carrier. Maybe they've got some really built up ones and you've got a heavy duty hitch.

Attached Files:

4. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    I definitely would not put a VFR on one. I am sure the manufacturer has weight limits. It is not just the static weight, but the force created if the vehicle hits a speed bump or large pot hole, could easily break a weld. Then you have the weight distribution imbalance of the vehicle which drastically change the handling.

5. Jim McCulloch

Jim McCulloch New Member

United States
    Map
    Yipes! This seems really sketchy.

I have a hitch mount rack for my mountain bike. With (2) bikes on it (they weigh maybe 50 lbs together) the hitch moves all over the place.

Scares the shit out of me every time I look in the rear view mirror. These MTB's cost as much as a regular dirt bike BTW and I sure don;t want to lose one.

I think I am tapping out on the hitch rack idea unless some new info comes up.

6. Colddevil

Colddevil Member

United States
    Map
    Jim, you wouldn't believe it... but I was sitting at an intersection today and I just happened to think of this post. I think I found a way to alleviate some of the weight on the hitch. Well, I didn't figure it out--this person did. I'm just passing the information onto you.

:Rofl:

jim.JPG

Jim McCulloch and skimad4x4 like this.
  7. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    Dirt bike OK as they max out at 300 lbs. I wouldn't go any heavier, certainly not a VFR. I walk a bike up two ramps, but make sure they are tied forward so they don't go slippin' sideways... a spotter helps calm the nerves. A small trailer better.

8. Jim McCulloch

Jim McCulloch New Member

United States
    Map
    LOL, They drive an SUV, it would probably fit in the back! Just wow!

9. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    I had wanted a Versa Haul for the occasional vintage bike on the back of my Honda Element. I think they are probably one of the best ones made.

[​IMG]

They are stout. The outriggers for tying down the bike are essential on these things. These happen to be adjustable too. And a stabilizer makes all the difference.

[​IMG]

But when this one came up on CL "used" (but never actually used) I decided to give it a shot. For the money I couldn't lose. It is also stout and rated to 600 lbs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now I wouldn't put one of my bigger VFRs on it and take off over the mountain pass, but I would probably put a Hawk or a 500 Interceptor on it. But I have a Yacht Club 3 rail MC trailer for those. This is just for dirt bikes, mini bikes and vintage bikes when I don't want to tow.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
    raYzerman and Jim McCulloch like this.