Honda 90 - September, 1965

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by SCraig, Dec 14, 2008.

1. SCraig

SCraig New Member

Just happened to run across this at my mom's yesterday and thought it was interesting.

[​IMG]

The photo was taken in September, 1965 and is me on my second bike (my first was an Allstate Moped), a 1964 Honda 90 (C200, I think). I was 13 at the time (turned 14 in October) and we were limited to 5 horsepower until we were 16. The Honda 90 was right at 5 hp, I think the Honda 65 (with an overhead cam engine!) was a little more and the Honda Sport 90 was WAY more with its overhead cam engine. I think they had about 7.5 hp.

I still remember it so well, I must have put a million miles on it. I rode it every, single day. No excuses except snow and ice. I remember coming home with my jeans literally frozen stiff from sleet. For some reason I also remember that it cost $287 brand new.

That is also my 1965 version of ATGATT. It was before Tennessee enacted a helmet law, and I didn't wear one very often. At age 13 I was invincible so I didn't need a stinking helmet!

2. Molsan

Molsan New Member

Map
    Awesome.
    I'm way to young to remember any of that being an entire 26 years old....

However i also recently came in contact with 2 cub 90's, i think one is the sport.
    I came to them through marriage as they are my mother in law's bikes. They need a little TLC as they have been sitting but they are in good shape. can't wait.

3. SCraig

SCraig New Member

The "Sport" or "Super" 90 is easy to tell since the can is up high and the tank has a teardrop shape to it. Here's A Link to a photo I took of one at the Barber Museum a couple of years ago.

I just noticed that in my original post I did call it the "Sport" 90 but it was in reality called the "Super" 90.

I'm jealous, I'd really love to have mine back now just for sentimental sake.

4. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    That sounds familiar. :) My first bike was a Honda 65 in 1964, my second bike was also a Honda S(uper) 90. Rode the hell out of both of them.

5. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    The first bike I ever rode was a Honda 50. I was 5, so had to be 76, the bike was brand new.
    Dang near killed my 5 year old self. Never rode again until I was 36. Couldn't hardly wait to get back on it though.

6. Molsan

Molsan New Member

Map
    i'll have to look but won't be able to till summer.

7. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    I remember my first bike when I was 10 years old. It was 1983 and I had recently graduated from riding go-carts. My pops bought us a bike identical to the one below (1975 Yamaha TY-80.) The bike only cost a few hundred dollars but the first ride on that thing had me hooked for life. That bike took a beating over the years from me and my younger brother! Even the memories of us wrecking while riding 2 up on a single seat trials bike brings a smile to my face. From that point on I was always on bikes and owned many dirt, dual-sport and street bikes (Honda CR-80, Kawasaki KX-125, Suzuki SP125, Honda XL350, Suzuki Katana 600, Kawasaki ZX-7, Suzuiki Bandit 1200) I always dreamed of owning an Interceptor nd came close to purchasing several over the years. I finally picked up the Anniversary edition last Feb. Now I'm looking for a 3rd GEN in Pearl White.

[​IMG]

Regards,
    Rollin

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  8. ROJ

ROJ New Member

I learned to ride on a 1964 Honda 90 Trail. We've got 3 of them in running condition, one of which is in near mint condition. They are a blast to drive even though they are a full 20 years older than me, I still take one out every now and then for a quick run through the trails. The pic isn't one of ours, but almost identical (except for the ripped seat).

Attached Files:

9. JR Jackson

JR Jackson New Member

Wow, the thoughts pictures like this invoke. My first.... (and for some reason, in many ways still my favorite) a '75 Honda XR75. Seems like life can be broken down into two parts, before I had a motorcycle and then everything after...
    Of the more than 15 motorcycles I've owned since, if I could snap my fingers and have only one of them back, that would most likely be the one. I had to buy my son an XR80 just so I could ride it and pretend I was "back in the day".

The look on your face is classic, I would bet if we all pulled the old pictures out you would find some great "this thing makes me so much cooler" looks.

Thanks for sharing this one, it made my day just thinking back.

JR

10. SCraig

SCraig New Member

Yeah, a real Hells Angel in the making :tongue:

I'm glad you guys enjoyed it. There is a topic around here somewhere about old bikes we used to own that I was going to post it in but I couldn't find it. If you can run that one down it seems like it has a number of old photos like that in it.

Old photos like that are interesting. I started looking at it and remembered so many little details about that bike. I remembered all the times I dumped it. I remembered where some of the scars I still have came from. I even remembered some friends from way back then that I haven't seen in decades. I look at it's great, great, great, great grandson sitting in my basement and wonder how bikes could change so much and what they are going to be like in another 40 years or so.

11. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Sweet, some one else with a remember the good ole days Yep i got my very first motorcycle ride and on a 64 super sport 90, man thought I'd died and gone to heaven, never been the same since.

12. pm_wizard

pm_wizard New Member

Map
    My first ride was an S-90, red just like the photo you attached. I went on to a 65 305cc Superhawk and thought I had died and gone to heaven. i wish I could recapture the incredible feeling of that first bike. Everything since is fun, exciting, but not the same... hmmm sounds like girls too...

John

13. Richard Thompson

Richard Thompson New Member

Map
    my first ride was a Honda SL125 trail bike, not mine but a buddies. I learnt to ride on it and within about a month i'd bought my own little trailie, a yamaha DT 125. About 6 months after that i bought kawasaki's then all new KDX 175 enduro. It was a slippery slope in deed since then.
    The bikes...they just kept a coming...

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  14. R.W.

R.W. New Member

United States
    Map
    After my mini bike, my Grandpa’s automatic trail 90 was the first bike I ever rode, I remember him getting mad at me because I would rev it up and slam it into first to do my first wheelie :heh:

15. Richard Thompson

Map

Attached Files:

16. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    Stolen from another site:

[​IMG]

17. SCraig

SCraig New Member

Richard, you are my hero. That's the topic I was looking for originally.

Drewl, that is a cool Trail 90. It would be a hoot to play with.

18. Jimtt

Jimtt New Member

Map
    Love that pic; my first bike was a CL90 so I relate. JIM

19. Richard Thompson

Map
    time to bring back this old chestnut....

dug this out the other day to add to my facebook page...

i have no idea what that suzuki is, anyone else able to identify it?

i believe it was a 250. being as i was only a passenger, i really didnt pay too much attention.

im thinking that 'pudding bowl' helmet is pretty natty tho...

Attached Files:

20. eddie cap

eddie cap New Member

Yes, they were the days, I hope I can find it, but I have a picture of my 1965 Honda
    believe it was a CB-50. I guess because it was the first ,it was a memorable machine.
    Absolute fastest it would go was 59 MPH,that was on a level with a tail wind and my
    120 lb body. This may sound like BS , once I forgot to install the spark plug gasket on the bike and I suppose I increased the compression a molecule or two, the bike and I set our personal best MPH of 60. And those Super 90's were so fast. eddie