Honda CBR500R

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by stewartj239, Nov 12, 2012.

1. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    In case you haven't seen the new 500cc sport bike that Honda just released, here is the link:

2013 CBR500R Overview - Honda Powersports

I think this is a great move by Honda. I have often said that they need a bike in this displacement range which is where the VF500 used to be. They also offer two other variations of the bike.

Great job Honda. Thanks for listening.

2. Sparksnorthern

Sparksnorthern New Member

Map
    For a noob like myself, can you explain why its such a good move? 25 more horsepower than the cbr250R, for what, about a grand? And for 5 more grand after that, you get a 600...

Why not just drop the 250 and have the 500 be the weakest one? Wont the 250 and 500 be extremely similar?

3. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    The 250 is truly an entry level bike. It is light and has a confidence inspiring motor. Once a rider learns the basics, they quickly outgrow it. In the majority of the cases, it is not a long term bike. The 500 can be an entry level bike, but it can also be a long term bike as well. The extra 250cc goes a long way especially when running at highway speeds. Also, a 600 is too much bike (motor) for many riders. The 500 is a good displacement for the average "Joe".

4. Durk

Durk New Member

Honda is also one-upping Kawasaki that upped the Ninja 250 to 300cc.
    Honda realizes the economy has sucked and will continue sucking, people aren't going to be dropping $10K-$15K on bikes. This new family of engines has been getting great gas mileage.
    This is a decent bike with a good price point. I'm surprised no mention of this bike in the latest bike mag.

5. Bryan88

Bryan88 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

South Africa
    Map
    I wonder if the X version will out perform the NC700X

6. Rainbow7

Rainbow7 New Member

I guess Honda are trying to achieve two things:
    1) Take some market share from the GS500.
    2) Put a cheap, sporty-looking commuter out there.

I guess if I was commuting a few lazy miles each way, this might be a good option.

7. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    It's aboot damn time. Would have liked to see it in a four cylinder rather than a twin but you can't win e'm all.

8. Keager

Keager Member

United States
    Map
    I was pretty happy to see the return of a 500cc beginner bike as well. In town fun, cheap, cheap to own (insurance, maintenance, MPG) than a 600 or a 1000. Light weight, more for a female rider as well.

9. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    Funny how things change and the old ways become new again. Ah the cycle of life..

There always was a place for a mid sized machine that just does everything but I think this is one of the best looking 500s I've ever seen. If the price is right, it should steal a good chunk of this market segment. I'm surprised at the number of CBR250s I see on the roads around these parts. It bodes well for the future of the hobby.

10. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    hobby?!?!?!?!?!?!

11. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    Honda just unveiled it this past Sunday (2 days ago). I bet you'll be reading quite a bit about it in the coming months.

12. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    I was thinking the exact same thing. It would have been even nicer if it is was a V4 like the VF500, but I imagine it is a lot cheaper to make a twin and I'm sure they had to be cost conscience. However, I have ridden an older EX500 which has the same type of engine and it did have some nice low end. I can't wait for a review.

13. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    Honda is long overdue for making a return to this segment. I too see a lot of CBR250s out on the road around here. I bet that this bike will be the next logical move for those owners. Retail is $5999, so I think they are on the right track. Have you seen the new CRF250L? That bike retails for just $4499. They're now making bikes that people can afford.

14. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
  15. Metallican525

Metallican525 New Member

Map
    I for one am very impressed that we're finally getting some lower displacement bikes over here from Honda. I am dissapointed that it is a parallel twin as I think they sound like shit and that is a big part of motorcycles for me. Shoulda just gone with a regular v-twin IMO but as stated before it's likely a cost issue so they can provide more affordable bikes for the public. It does look pretty nice tho, lil mini CBR that it is.

16. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map

Yah that word really diminishes the impact that these machines and the culture around them has on our lives. It truely is a way of life so perhaps "Lifestyle" would be more appropriate.

17. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Ah, more for a female rider?

Sorry but the FZR400 was one of the best bikes made. Why? Not becasue it was "more for females" but because it could be a commuter, canyon bike, racer (i.e. everything).

Its nice to see a middle sport bike back in the action. Might revive club racing.

BZ

18. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map

+2 on that!
    I would love to have NC35 and an FZR400 just to play with. These bikes were really sweet machines with character and enough performance to have fun in the twisties or on the track. I also want my RZ500 back waaaaaaaaa.

Thinking back on all the bikes I have had the privilege to ride over the last three decades or so, there were some that I spent a lot of time on that just got the job done like my old Seca 750, others that rocked like my CBX550 and fun bikes that were a scream to ride like my 1982 FT500 Ascot. I'm not a huge fan of the parallel twin configuration because, as has already been said, they sound lame but if Honda had figured out a way to get around that issue and the engine pulls good with some carisma, hand me the keys and some sticky tires.:chaingun:

19. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Sound is the last thing I consider imporatant, it's a motorcycle, not an Ipod. The bike is being used in the European Junior Cup Championship next year and the bike looks pretty decent in full race trim. With a good builder and a little messaging it has good potential, even if it is a girls bike (last time I checked there were quite a few ladies riding VFR's) :rolleyes:

20. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    Going to be interesting to see how this will shape the motorcycle market overall. We've all seen what happens when the Japanese get locked into the that never ending cycle of one-ups man-ship when performance is the primary goal. Now maybe they'll get back to basics. Making damn good sensibly priced streetbikes regardless of displacement, engine configuration, etc..