Horn circuit causing engine hesitation --- fixed. -- Horn circuit relay added to a 5th gen

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by mello dude, Aug 23, 2012.

1. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Just passing along some info ---- My ride had some quasi short going on where when I hit the horn button, I would get a "hesitation" in the engine. Not good if you want to move out now. Also the stock horn, was a wimpy damn thing so I wanted to change it out too.

Maybe my tweeks will help someone else for their 5th gen, so I'm just sharing the info..... :cool:

The fix was to add a relay to horn circuit, which I mounted in front of the front cowl stay. For the 5th gen it turned out to be a good location. Trashed stock horn and replaced with much larger cruiser horn I had in the parts box mounted in reverse from stock position. How did it all work out? Test ride showed hesitation is gone, gone! New horn is way fricken louder. Mission accomplished. :cool:

Stripped
    [​IMG]

Relay mount ride side view, I just drilled a 5mm clearance hole and bolted it down with a split rubber hose for some vib resistance and a 5mm fastener and bolt. Looks good.
    [​IMG]

Relay mount left side view
    [​IMG]

Test fitting of fairing and relay clearance
    [​IMG]

Fitting up with wiring installed - good clearance everywhere
    [​IMG]

Front view with wire up, top is hot (positive) with fuse to battery (pin 30), stock horn wires are the light green and dark green (pins 85, 86), wire with red paint on it goes to horn (pin 87). Horn lead to ground not shown.
    [​IMG]

Horn job
    [​IMG]

Cheers and beers

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Check your charging voltage

Cuz what you're describing could be caused by a low-charging condition.

3. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    ^^^ I have completely gone thru and revamped my charging system. -- Volts at idle 13.8, Volts at 5k -- -14.3
    Battery at rest 13.3 -- Cant get much better.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm positive that's not it. Anyhoo, with the relay, its not an issue anymore.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012