How many of you would buy a VFR 1000

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by R.W., Aug 19, 2006.

1. R.W.

R.W. New Member

United States
    Map

Just out of curiosity, how many VFR riders would buy a VFR 1000...

2. skidvicious

skidvicious New Member

Map
    I would if....
    it came with gear driven cams, single sided swing arm, enough torque to pull tree stumps out of the ground, ohlins front/rear, heated grips, fully adjustable pegs/levers and at least three options for a killer paint scheme on release!

3. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight Well-Known Member

United States
    Map
    I would be interested as well if it had gear driven cams, SSSA, and different paint schemes. But I would have to feel comfortable siting on it too.

4. keet

keet New Member

Map
    ...has anyone in here had a chance to ride a "blackbird?"....that was a bike i was interested in before i got the vfr.....but there wern`t many to be had in the "pre-owned" dept where i live.....and "if" someone has tested one i would be interested to hear your comparo....thanks

5. R.W.

R.W. New Member

United States
    Map
    I tested the CBR 1000, Blackbird and the VFR before I choose the VFR.

1. CBR 1000 Great bike for Power & Cornering but my body would wear out quickly on that bike.

2. Blackbird was a awesome bike, when you hit that throttle it was like you went to warp speed in 4 seconds, handling was O.K. for such a big long bike and the riding position was adequate. It was my #2 choice by a C hair.

3. VFR had it all for me, great riding position, very flickable in the corners, O.K. power, and that great V-4 sound.

The Blackbird is a excellent choice, the reason I choose the VFR over the blackbird was because of the flickability in the corners advantage over the Bird. But a lot can be said over that smooth Bird engine. But maybe one day Honda will wake up and get creative again. But just where you know, my dream bike is a VFR 1000.

6. BusaSamurai

BusaSamurai New Member

I would be in for one ...

7. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Like Skid, it would depend on how it came out. If it just seemed more touring oriented, I would shy away from it as the ST has that covered... If it went too sporty, I'd go for one of the bikes that have been covering that ground for years. I would need it to be pretty much the same weight as now or less, I would like updated suspension, brakes, SSSA,

8. quema

quema New Member

I would rather a VFR 250 or 400 :)

9. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    You need two versions, one with ergos and storage etc (long range cruise missle), and the other stripped down with rearsets and agressive handling (race bred chassis). I will take the latter.

10. jchag1718

jchag1718 New Member

Gear driven cams, 1000cc's, twin-spar frame, single-sided swing-arm...Are you kidding...Hell yes!

11. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    you know the more I think about it, the less I think I'd buy anything they offerred. I like the one I have, and it's paid for. that's a hell of a combo right there, and kind of a catch 22 for Honda. they have built an excellent bike and a LOT of us put many miles on these things (I'm over 40000 myself) so why buy a new one. The ones we have last forever. They have to make hellacious improvements to get us to give up our old ones. Then again, it seems like about half the VFR owners on here have 2 instead of one so I guess there is that repeat buyer business. I told my wife after she gets used to riding if she likes, we can look at a bigger VFR for her, but she likes the idea of the 500 for now. Personally I like the small bikes, too. You just can't buy a new one that's small anymore.

12. quema

quema New Member

reg71,

It's like inflation, everyone keeps buying (and making) bigger bikes. Don't get me wrong here, I like power. But, there is a lot of fun to be had flogging a smaller bike (that can take it), and they are so easy in the twisties. But if I buy a small bike, I must not be able to handle the power right?

America (or the world now I guess)... Bigger IS better. I would still like to get my hands on a nice VTR 400 or even a 250 (I still like my wife's old ninja 250 (though, she hated it!)).

13. ajmadison

ajmadison New Member

If Honda basically put a 1Kcc V four in the big CBR chassis, put Interceptor plastics and Interceptor like ergos, I would be put for that. Or they could put the current one on 'Jenny Craig' and I'd be interested in that. Mere displacement is not what I'm worried about w/this model.

14. grinder

grinder New Member

I don't think I would. I would like a bit more bottom end and a bit better wind protection on a long ride but if I were to go that way I would probably just go for the ST as it is a hell of a bike too. However I sure like the way the extra valves kick in on the VFR and its easier to ride in the twisties. Hmmmmm maybe I need both? Do you think the wife would go for it?

15. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    It depend on the direction of the bike - If it has the 6th gen touring bias - no thanks.(you might as well buy a FJR1300) If it has the 5th gen sport bias - hell yes! -

There have been rumors of a V-5 bike from honda - some say it will be a full motoGP replica, some say it will be a sport bias VFR bike, if its the viffer - sign me up.

16. KrautBurner

KrautBurner New Member

if I could have had my bike in a Litre virsion,
    I would have gone for it...

as for the "Blackbird"
    it's an 1100cc (CBR1100XX)
    it's an awesome bike,
    I used to hate sportbikes,
    it was the first (over 600cc) full ferring bike I ever rode.
    and I loved it, I didn't expect to like it at all,
    but was plesantly surprised.
    it's a friends bike, we all call it the cadillac (in comperison to the group that rides with him....(Ducati Monster sport 750, Bandit 600, triumph TT600, CBR1000RR, and an older Ninja 6))

I would have loved one, but they are hard to find around here.

17. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    I rode a CBR1000RR and it blew me away - so I considered mounting VFR800 5th gen body on it. (still do) It would be incredible. Maybe someday - I need to start another project bike right now like I need another hole in my head.

md

18. cornercarver

cornercarver New Member

United States
    Map
    I love the looks and updated chassis of the 6th gen but MUST have the gear driven cams and lighter weight of the 5th gen.

IF a 1000cc v-4 was gear driven cammed without an increase in weight I would consider plunking down some hard earned scratch but I would keep my 5th gen.

I am looking for a salvage/beater 4th gen to turn into a track bike. I shouldn't have sold my '94.

As others have said, I also love the lighter bikes for serious canyon carving duty. If Honda was to offer a VFR-500F I would keep the 5th gen for touring duty. :smile:

19. Paul04vfr

Paul04vfr New Member

for me if you just put the v-5 in my bike (6th gen) i'd buy it

20. WVFR

WVFR New Member

I would rather they lighten up the existing bike and stroke it to 900cc to give it more grunt.