Hurricane Police Bar kit for 6th gen

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by James Brookshaw, Aug 14, 2023.

1. James Brookshaw

James Brookshaw New Member

United Kingdom
    Hi everyone, been looking on weblike but can't find any information and emailed them but nothing. Just wondered if anyone knew what was happening regarding availability of the Police bike bar kit for the 6th gens as ive got helipads but there still hurting my hands.

Cheers in advance

2. Wogsy

Wogsy New Member

Australia
    I did a handlebar conversion using Renthal bars that I'm thrilled with if you're interested. Let me know and I'll post pics and parts list.

Mine also had a clip-on riser that I wasn't satisfied with in terms of height.

3. bmart

bmart Insider

United States
    Map
    Post details and pics, please.

4. Wogsy

Wogsy New Member

Australia
    So I was starting with Moto CNC clip on risers. With boots on I'm 6'2". This caused lower back pain and wrist pain if riding more than an hour likely due to my stature, shoulder width, arm length etc. I decided to convert to a handlebar. I decided to use a Moto CNC 43mm Superbike Streetfighter Vario Handlebar Riser Kit in silver. I paired this with a Renthal 7/8in. Road Handlebar, in Gray, with a Medium Bend (755-01-GR). I was able to use the stock throttle, clutch, and brake lines.

I used Motorcycle Bar End Weights SILVER for 22mm 7/8 inch Handlebars inc. Renthal found on ebay. Oxford bar ends at the following link do not fit! https://www.oxfordproducts.com.au/collections/bar-ends/products/oxox593 .

1.jpg

As per pic 1, I ended up keeping part of the riser installed to raise the bar bracket even higher. The bar risers would normally sit flat on the top yoke, but it adds a little more height this way. I am sure you can make it fit without this extra rise. Though I did not test it.

2.jpg 3.jpg

The bars are significantly wider than stock. Though not wider than the bike so filtering is unaffected. You must leave a gap between the grips and the break/clutch mounts as per pic 2 and 3. This allows you to go from lock to lock without hitting the windscreen mounts. Break and clutch mount angle is still very natural, and both are operable normally without difficulty, despite the gap.

4.jpg

The front brake line was rerouted as seen in pic 4. Otherwise it was far too tight in its ideal mounting position. The loose cable ties are there to stop pinching in the steering stops.

5.jpg

The throttle was re routed to exit above the frame rather than under it (pic 5), giving ample slack. The fuel tank does not sit flush with the frame, allowing wiring to pass through without pinching.

6.jpg

Pic 6 shows the bars installed with the clips-ons still in their original place. Note that the bars are not in their final position in this image. I had not adjusted them to clear the windscreen yet, and they are sitting flush with the yoke in this pic, there is no 25mm spacer under them. Therefore the bars would have an additional 25mm of rise in their final position.

7.jpg

Pic 7 shows everything installed with the fairing back on. I switched the bar ends after this pic was taken. The fairing is removed in the previous pics as I am in the process of removing a HID "upgrade" that a previous owned did (+ I am diagnosing another issue).

I came off a 3rd gen SV650. This riding position is more akin to that but with more leg room. With this handlebar mod I feel like I can properly ride the bike, it fits me well now.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

5. bmart

bmart Insider

United States
    Map
    Interesting choice and nice write up! Doesn't moving the levers in so much on the bars make braking/clutch use unorthodox?

6. Wogsy

Wogsy New Member

Australia
    Not at all. I usually use four fingers on my brake, and two would be even easier due to the leverage if you hold closer to the end of the bar 2.1 2.1.jpg 1.1.jpg . The clutch reaches the end of the bar entirely 1.1. See the pics for my final bar ends too.

7. bmart

bmart Insider

United States
    Map
    Gotcha. Four fingers is a lot! I use 1 or 2.