I Rented A Harley

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by KC-10 FE, Apr 22, 2009.

1. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HOLD THE FREAKING PRESSES...

Yes, everyone read that correctly, Mr. KC-10 FE (who hates HD with a passion) did in fact rent a Hardly-Does-Run moorsickle.

Why the hell would I do that you ask?

It's rather simple. The rental place had exactly one "sport bike", a Kawasaki Ninja 650R. One of the guys I went riding with has never ridden a big heavy cruiser so I told him he could take the Ninja & I would rent the hog. You notice I'm not smiling in the pics? That's because you can't smile when you're a biker bad ass.

The bike I rented was a "Heritage Softtail Classic". What that means or how it racks/stacks in the HD heirarchy is beyond me & I really couldn't care.

Highs:
    This thing actually had a pretty good clutch.
    Pistons the size of V8 truck engine pistons make low speed crawling simple.
    HD accesory windshield snaps on & off in less than 10 seconds & is the perfect height for my 6' frame.
    Standard bags come in handy (no locks however).
    Once under way, the vibration is less aparent but my hands still fell asleep after about 2 hours.
    It IS NOT possible to miss shifts on the bike I rented. If you hit the lever, it shifted.

Lows:
    How much time do you have?
    This bike DOES NOT like to change direction at any speed.
    The seating position is terrible.
    The contraption shakes like a paint mixer.
    Cornering clearance? Who needs cornering clearance?
    Pretty lousy MPG. I got about 35MPG & the highest we ever got up to was 65MPH for about 30 seconds.
    This thing is DONE above 65MPH. I actually felt unsafe riding this thing about 60MPH, it is that dynamically unsound.
    Even with a 4" thick seat, my back & butt were hurting after about 2 hours. I blame the La-Z-Boy seating position place all my weight on my tail bone.
    Stupid turn signal switches, one on each side.
    No lower wind protection.
    The sidestand is infuriating. Every time I parked the bike, I couldn't tell if the stand was in the proper position.

Conclusion:
    No matter how much I didn't like the bike, I had a blast. I got to ride on a tropical island with 2 great coworkers. Not a bad way to spend a day off.
    These things are 1000% about "image" & not "riding". If you actually believe a HD is a good bike to ride, you are a complete moron.
    There are far better machines you could spend nearly $20000 on.

The place we rented from is called Cruisin' Hawaii & is a member of the Eagle Riders franchise. I paid $180 for the bike & the insurance. I feel the rental fee is ridiculously overpriced but I've always wanted to rent a bike on Hawaii & this was the first time I was on a crew with anyone else with the M endorsement. So, the 3 of us rented bikes & rode about 255 miles around Oahu. We went to the Dole Pineapple Plantation, cruised the North Shore, rode to Hanauma Bay & finally hit the main drag in downtown Waikiki before returning the bikes. I would like to point out there are idiot cagers by the bushel on Oahu. I also absolutely HATED riding with an open face $30 "Skid Lid".

Harley-Davidson® Motorcycle Rentals, Honda Motorcycle Rentals, Motorcycle Tours, & Powersport Rentals - EagleRider Motorcycle Rentals

Before anyone comments, I am fully aware that jeans & a t shirt IS NOT adequate riding gear. I had no alternative since no place on Oahu actually has any gear so it was either not ride or ride with less than adequate protection. Nothing happened to me but that doesn't change the fact that I should have been wearing better stuff.

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane: :usa2:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  2. 15dollar

15dollar New Member

Map
    You would have been better off on the black Ultra Glide pictured or a Dyna or even a Sportster. The Soft-Tail is probably the worst handling HD. Glad you had fun, none the less.

3. Blackcloud

Blackcloud New Member

Map
    I had a black rubber mounted 2004 883 Sportster. I put 10000 miles on it. Sold that for 06 Concours, which in turn became my 06 VFR. The Sporty was fun it handled ok and stop light to stop light it could beat my buddies Electra Glide hands down. I agree about the image thing which is completely ridiculous. Some of my freinds ride Harleys but there still my freinds hahaha. I heard that Harley makes more money from their clothes, shoes, doodads, underwear, shoestrings, toothpicks, etc, than from the bikes?

4. 300shooter

300shooter New Member

So really, how "cool" did you feel?
    I think your sense of fashion needs some work tough, maybe a spiked german helmet and a sleeveless black leather vest would have given you more of the "biker' mystique. Oh , and don't forget to hold your breath and cross your arms on your chest to show off your big muscles too........:biggrin:

5. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    KC:

When I see you on July 20 at the track; you will face your punishment of "twenty kicks to the bean bag".

You have judged and sentanced accordingly!

:tclaw:

:wedgie:

On the bright side you almost look cool...almost...

BZ

6. two4one

two4one New Member

United States
    Map
    Well you fared better than I did both times I rented a Harley. Each time I took it back early.

7. two4one

two4one New Member

United States
    Map
    You're doing Thunderbolt corrrect?

8. 300shooter

300shooter New Member

At least you got to send it back when you were done for the day. In a moment of blind stupidity I went and BOUGHT, a 2001 fatboy, kept it for one year , god what a disappointing excuse for a bike. Yet another bad decision driven by my incurable need for pu$$y.

9. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Yes sir!

You coming Two?

Hey, I have new screen prints and one you may like. Remember the TZ250 you where batteling? Have a nice design of John on his TZ blazing up the tarmac at Barber. When i print some shirts up, I'll post up!

BZ

10. Lgn001

Lgn001 Member

United States
    Map
    So have you ordered one yet?

11. two4one

two4one New Member

United States
    Map
    I have nothing planned for July at this point <whistling>.

You mean John Tirado? I just saw him about 10 days ago. He had to drop off a baxley at my place for another friend. Good guy!

12. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Yeah LOL!

I didn't know you knew who he was.

The design turned out nice. I love the two-stroke bikes and thought his would be perfect for a shirt. The honey bear he has mounted on the side cracks me up.

Sounds like you'll be coming out to play then:wink:

13. MrJoelieC

MrJoelieC New Member

Map
    Thank you for this... I'm printing your review out and hanging it on my cafateria bullitin board for the Harly guys I work with to read....ROFL

14. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    its ok... even the best slip........once........ I'm with BZ one swift kick to the bean bag

15. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

I think it's safe to say every guy has fallen into this trap at least once in their lives.

I'll make sure I wear a cup on 20 July. You mean I'm not cool? I'm not a biker bad ass?

Glad to be of service. :thumbsup:

Not in this lifetime. The only HD I even remotely like the looks of is called the Road Glide. From what the faithful tell me, it is one of the most hated HD's by the faithful. :confused:

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane: :usa2:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  16. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    LOL!

The Road Glide is one of the most "comfortable" Harleys for touring. All the MSF Coaches I know who have bought one loved it, and that is why they bought it too, so they could ride for hours without pain.

So it only makes sense if it was made for function over form the faithfull would hate it!

As a side note, looking forward to the 20th KC!

BZ

17. HondaTech

HondaTech New Member

Do you feel the sudden urge to add leather fringe/frilly shit to your VFR so you can have a bit of the Harley lifestyle with you? Right about the time I saw a Harley Davidson lunchbox I recognized they had ceased being a motorcycle company and started being a marketing and merchandising company.

Harley Davidson- the fastest way to convert gasoline into noise without the side effect of horsepower

18. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Where are your chaps and leather vest with no shirt on? you really need some coaching on hardley riding. hell you didn't even need that damn helmet... it's Hawaii. You know what would have been funny is if you rented a scooter and kept up with your buddies on the harley and ninja on that! over on maui theres a road they call the road to hana or some such that would be a blast to ride a sportbike or even sporty scooter on but you can see marks from harley parts draggin in the asphalt on curves (at least that what I decided they were from).

19. MrDen

MrDen New Member

I don't care who ya are, that's funny right there!

20. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map

you gotta go with the assless chaps....you'd be a tough guy on a harley..no one would mess with you