I ruined my rear brake caliper (2002/6th gen.) and need to replace. Will a 2007 caliper fit?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by fpage, Aug 17, 2014.

1. fpage

fpage New Member

Hey guys,

Yesterday, I went to replace the rear brake pads and flush/bleed all brake fluid on my 2002 6th Gen. All went okay, except when removing the rear brake caliper, I mistook the pin bolt (#16 on this diagram) for one of the mounting bolts, and I removed it. No big deal, except...

When I went to reinstall the caliber assembly, I couldn't find a torque value for this bolt. I ended up over-torquing it and completely stripped the threads off the bolt housing, which is part of the main caliper body. First, this seems strange to me -- why would they use a bolt ($10 part) with stronger materials/threads than the housing (a part that costs hundreds)? If something was going to break here, I would have much preferred to ruin/replace the bolt itself.

I'm sure I need a new caliper assembly, and partzilla has it for $230 + shipping -- the best price I can seem to find for OEM. There's also an ebay seller in Long Beach, CA (I'm in Los Angeles) that has this listing up for a rear brake assembly off a 2007 VFR they're parting out. It's over 100 bucks cheaper. My question is: will it fit? It's black, while mine is gold/bronze colored, but other than that they look to be the same. I know the brakes got a redesign in 2005, but I think that it was only a change to the front calipers.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Don't buy them, I have a spare rear caliper I can get you for the cost of shipping, or since you're in LA , swing by pick it up and buy me lunch. It's a 6 Gen caliper and is in good shape, I think it's from an 06. I bought it as a backup in case my other caliper parts didn't come in. I was hanging on to it as a spare, but figured you can make quicker use of it. It actually cost me $60 off of eBay.

3. fpage

fpage New Member

Dude, WOW. That's incredibly generous of you. I'm happy to pay you the $60 you spent, or a REALLY nice lunch, or some combination thereof. I'm PMing you now.

4. Gweglez

Gweglez New Member

Map
    Only thing about buying a black caliper is that it won't be the abs model which the gold one is

5. fpage

fpage New Member

I just looked into this, and the schematics for the caliper itself appear to be identical between the two models. Does the caliper have anything to do with the ABS system? I think it's just the rear wheel speed sensor that delivers the info to the ABS system, which then modulates the hydraulic input to the caliper -- so the caliper isn't directly involved in the function of the ABS. (The color of the caliper, then, would be the only difference.)

If I'm wrong on this, I'd love to be corrected!

6. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    The best way to compare is look up the part number. I am sure the casing are the same except ABS is Gold

7. OOTV

OOTV Insider

The problem with that is, they will have different part numbers due to color. He was able to swing by and pick up the caliper I have so hopefully it all work out and he'll be back on the road soon. Based on looks alone, the caliper looks the same as the one from my 5 Gen too.

8. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Cool glad it work out :thumb: You are the man....

9. fpage

fpage New Member

I'll second that. Thanks OOTV! I'll be doing the swap tomorrow, and I'll let you know how it goes.