I think I'm gettting screwed. Maybe.

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Chicken Little, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Chicken Little

Chicken Little New Member

I am in New Mexico in the middle of a record breaking downpour, about as far away from a Honda dealership as you can get.

Bike is a 2003 with 12k on it. No problems. Wiring update supposedly done by previous owner. Battery fully charged when I left the house 3 hours before.

At 80mph, battery indicator on dash briefly flashes, bike dies, no dash reading, nothing but a buzz at the front end. No lights, will not restart, blah, blah, blah.

Towed to distant Honda shop, I catch ride home so I can go to work on Monday.

Dealership calls, says wiring update has not been done after all. They have ordered new wiring harness and will be there in 7 days. I ask them to check R/R, stator, and battery status. They say they want to start with the wiring harness and go from there. I explain all the known electric problems and ask what if the wiring harness doesn't fix this- do I have to wait another 7 days for you to get the other parts? They say yes, they can't check the R/R or the stator without the upgraded wiring harness, and yes, the battery is dead. DOES THIS MAKE SENSE? If I have to explain the electrical troubleshooting to them, I don't think I want them messing with it. And, to top it off, I get the classic "we'll take care of you, Mame."

If the thing was sitting in my garage, I'd take care of it. I got stuck 350 miles from home, and now I am at their mercy. I am about to loose it, rent a trailer, and go get that piece of Honda crap.

Ok, it's not like I don't love the bike...

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  2. chomper

chomper New Member

United States
    Map
    it makes sense to me. if theres a bad connection due to blue connector failing its hard to check other components. if the service recall was done part of the recall procedure calls for a punch mark to be applied adjacent to vin # (10mm below and 10mm to left of vin # ) after repair is done. in order for dealer to get parts or get paid they have to submit vin # Honda's only going to do recall once per bike.

3. IrrerD

IrrerD New Member

Chomper is right. Go to or call your local Honda dealer and ask them to submit your vin on their IN (Interactive Network) under "Unit Identification". If the recall was done (by an authorized Honda service agent), it'll be noted there.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  4. madduxca

madduxca New Member

mine took a month to get finished. they orderes 3 rounds of crap. a little rediculouse. i would call the american honda cust. serv. line and see what they say.

5. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    there's a good shop in Deming that might be better......

simply unplugging the section of wiring under suspicion should enable them to test stator and R/R

6. Chicken Little

I do all my business with Deming, when I need help. I think they are the best shop I have run across. I just got stuck 250 miles east in record breaking rain. Couldn't have gotten to Deming if I wanted to, the roads were closed.

The dealership called yesterday and wiring harness is in, they will hook it up on Tuesday, and I went ahead and added the upgraded 06' R/R. I must say, they have been very communicative with me, and seem to be treating me and the bike as a priority. My doubts are fading. Will update in a few days.

7. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    That shop gave me EXTRAORDINARY SERVICE early on a Sunday morning while i was crosssing on the Interstate westbound on my RC 31 and i noticed that the outer lock clip was missing from my chain's masterlink.......

Shop owner found what i needed in 5 minutes, no charge, and offered to help me install clip if i wanted!!

I forgot the name of the shop, but why not give them a THANKS and boost here!!

8. Chicken Little

Ok! For all you guys riding I-10 in New Mexico, you have not 1, but 2 great shops to choose from- Deming Cycle and Alamogordo Cycle. They are within 250 miles of each other heading East/West. I can tell you for sure that the boys at Alamogordo prefer their beer in bottles that don't have twist off caps! If that Honda is fixed like I think it is, they get a case from me.

9. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Your bike's gonna glow in the dark........