I want to replace my RR this winter on my 2007 RWB VFR 800

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by 25thVFR800, Aug 31, 2017.

1. 25thVFR800

25thVFR800 New Member

Canada
    Map
    I've had my VFR for about 3 months and I can honestly say that I am a VFR nut.
    I love the way it looks, sounds and that VTEC rush.
    Plenty fast and smoked a camaro SS the other day.
    I have changed to full synthetic. put in a new air filter and changed out the clutch and brake fluid.
    It has 13,000 miles.
    The bike runs mint and is where I want it.
    One thing that makes my head spin is all the RR talk and eventual failure.
    I Am thinking of replacing it even though I have no issues. My mechanic said don't fix what ain't broke but I don't want to be at side of road one of these days and do not want to ruin my stator or battery.
    After much research I'm thinking of swapping out my RR for one from:
    Rick's Motorsport Electrics
    Has anyone bought from Ricks and once installed do I ever have to worry about thr RR again.
    Beauty pic of my beast below. Always attracts a crowd at my local bike hangout on the weekends.
    Thanks in advance. IMG_4510.jpg

2. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    The only acceptable R/R replacement anymore is from - www.roadstercycle.com --

btw - I dont know what is going on, but there have been some premature stator failures on '06s and '07s.

May I suggest for now is add a digital voltmeter to watch the health of your system. There are plenty of cheap options on ebay or amazon.

Scubalong and thtanner like this.
  3. 25thVFR800

25thVFR800 New Member

Canada
    Map
    Hi, roadstercycle seems more work than Ricks electric which is plug in and you are good to go.
    Thxs

4. thtanner

thtanner New Member

United States
    Map
    Your response leads me to ask you a single, two worded question: So what?!

Rick's stuff sucks. Electrosport sucks. Even OEM replacement R/Rs suck.

The only acceptable replacement is the type sold at www.roadstercycle.com - you can piece the same kit together separately - buy a FH020AA used off ebay (search for used FZ-09 / MT-09 regulators - usually $40 CAD.) You can get the connectors @ easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/R-R_Connectors/r-r_connectors.html

Don't buy Ricks garbage.

Diving Pete likes this.
  5. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Before spending any money on an RR from Ricks, you just might want to read post #37 on this thread ...

http://vfrworld.com/threads/how-to-fix-common-regulator-stator-failures.39277/page-2

There are others in a similar vein.

The cheap solution is to buy and then adapt a Yamaha FH020AA to work with the VFR loom. A more expensive (but plug and play) solution is to order up a ready to install version from roadstercycle.

Think of it as preventative maintenance - It's not a matter of IF, but WHEN, your OEM RR will fail. Every spring this forum tends to be littered with posts about bikes suffering charging system faults - mostly down to faulty RRs and the consequential damage they have done to stators, batteries and loom connections can be well more than a decent RR from roadstercycle.com.

SkiMad

6. dbuzz77

dbuzz77 New Member

Canada
    Map
    this is getting confusing for us new VFR readers. a lot of people seem to go with the vfrness for preventative and now something else. shouldn't your factory r/r work a long time with upgraded wiring? it's gotta be the bad wiring that puts strain on the factory parts. which way do we go then?

7. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Technically the wiring is a big part of failure BUT the OEM RR is not what it could/should be, hence the recommendation of going with the ones from RoadsterCycle. The VFRness was created before the RR improvements were more commonly being used, nothing wrong with going with one or the other but ultimately the RR should be upgraded, as well as the connections between the Stator and RR! This is one place that has hit both my VFRs.

Here's my 6 Gen connector...
    [​IMG]

And my 5 Gen connector...
    [​IMG]

8. dbuzz77

dbuzz77 New Member

Canada
    Map
    so a vfrness as preventative to keep factory parts working, then a mosfet r/r if the factory one goes?

9. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    OOTV has got it right - To me VFRness is a blind alley if your VFR has a decent loom fitted. Yes some of the earlier VFR gens had worryingly thin wiring choice - and this was THOUGHT to be causing charging system issues - so along came VFRness as a way of doubling up on the charging system wiring. Sadly charging problems continued to be reported by owners including some who had fitted a VFRness.

The why's and wherefore's of this issue have been pretty much done to death over many pages in the enormous thread I linked to above. My guess is the underlying issue is that unlike Triumph (who arranged a full free recall and replacement of faulty RR's) Mr H had no incentive to deal with the issue - see post # 48 and #184.

Suffice to say by the time the 2006+ vtecs were made the loom was much improved - but they still suffered charging system issues - mostly down to RR failures. My RR failed catastrophically on a very hot day taking out the stator and blowing all 4 headlight bulbs - so the total cost was considerably more than the cost of a decent Shindengen RR from roadstercycle posted across the pond.

If prevention is what you want fit a decent Shindengen RR then replace the RR to stator connector with shrink wrapped soldered joints and your bike will probably outlast you. I would not bother with VFRness.

SkiMad

10. OOTV

OOTV Insider

IMO, better to just update the factory RR with a new MOSFET RR and upgraded wiring and forget about it. Once the process of degradation has started, it's only a matter of time before failure. The Stator will also eventually give up the ghost and usually it goes faster once the RR starts to fail. They essentially cook themselves inside the engine. If you're really concerned about saving money and wait for the inevitable, then yes, grab a VFRness and wait for RR failure would be the other option.

Here's my 6 Gen stator, assume its demise was sped up by the Stator/RR connector failure
    [​IMG]

mello dude likes this.
  11. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    And to add no plugs solder directly to the stator wires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thtanner likes this.
  12. Laker

Laker New Member

Canada
    Map
    Nice bike! All great info here. The Super Mosfet Kit from Roadstercycle is high quality and an easy install. Good luck.

13. dannll

dannll New Member

United States
    Map
    With my previous gen 5 VFRs and other bikes i upgraded to a Mosfet/Shindengen rectifier. On this 2007 6th gen i see that the current location of the rectifier is too confined for mounting the larger Mosfet type.....for those who have converted your 6th gen where did you mount the rectifier?

14. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    [​IMG]

15. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    I assume you are asking about the new SH847 series R/R? --- I laser cut plates to mount that R/R on the 6th gen as a tryout. I need testers for this since I dont have a 6th gen available. - Any one game? I'm at 75/25 it will be ok... But its possible that it wont work. It would mount the same way as the plate below.

Also made new batch of flip plates for the FH020aa -- mounts perfect in the stock position as below. Claim yours today...
    [​IMG][​IMG]

CHASETV likes this.
  16. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Hey Duccmann - anyway you could spot check the mount hole dimensions on your R/R? - I heard it was 100mm.. should be easy to spot check that I'm good on that..

Thxz!

17. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    [​IMG]
    Here ya go MELLOW

18. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Didn't have a metric ruler? ;)

mello dude likes this.