Ignition barrel switch wires

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Ventura01, Jul 4, 2022.

1. Ventura01

Ventura01 New Member

Australia
    Hi all,
    I had an issue with the wiring from my ignition barrel. When bike was running and you moved the steering it would stall. If you jiggled the wiring by hand, it would stall. Dangerous and unreliable! Today I pulled the top yoke with ignition out, pulled the nose off to get behind dash and unplug.
    At the ignition barrel I removed the zip tie fastening the cables to the side of the barrel and cut the black cover back to see two cables hanging by a hair of copper wire each.
    I am having issues finding a new barrel should, I get these wires repaired or is it a matter of time before the repair breaks down?

2. Grum

Grum New Member

Australia
    Looks like you found the fault. Properly resolder the wires to the switch, see how it goes, probably nothing wrong with the switch internals.

3. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

This is a relatively simple fix. I had a similar situation with my RVF400.

The bottom half of the key switch was cracked and the soldering around the wires was corroded.

[​IMG]

I bought a generic new switch that was model specific, plug and play. You can source these by just doing a search on EBay, etc.

[​IMG]

Get the correct torx security bit and remove the three screws to separate the key tumbler from the actual switch.

[​IMG]

Take the new half of the switch and mount it to your existing tumbler (top half). I just bought three new screws from Honda at $2.30 each.

[​IMG]

This fix will allow you to use your original keys in the tumbler and have a new switch and wiring. Make sure that you have the zip tie attaching the harness to the assembly so it won't pull the wires out again.

4. Ventura01

Ventura01 New Member

Australia
    NorcalBoy, that is great. I must say even finding the switch unit you replaced is difficult. I'll look again. The last thing I wanted was a new key ignition with a different key for fuel and the seat.
    I worked out how to attach pics with this app thing I'm using and now are attached. Pretty serious wear, but twenty years old... Screenshot_20220704-180530-326.jpg IMG_20220704_174932781.jpg IMG_20220704_174630000.jpg

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

5. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Here is the switch on Ebay - $29 bucks

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184689134945?hash=item2b00548d61:g:dCQAAOSwZF5cpo2K

Once you look at the back of your old switch, you will see the three security screws (they are visible in your pictures), take the three screws out and the switch will separate from the tumbler, do the same to the new switch, take the bottom half of the new switch and just screw it to the back of your existing tumbler. The wiring and connectors should just be plug and play into the existing wiring harness. Yes, it is Chinese, but you will only be using half of it.