Ignition replacement

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Chadnky, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Chadnky

Chadnky New Member

United States
    Hello, I have a 2002 Honda VFR 800 Interceptor however I left the bike parked out in front of my garage last night and when I tried to start it today I could not get the key to go all the way in. I have looked online and its rather cheap to order all new parts however I would like to keep the original Honda key to all the new locks. How hard is it to remove the lock cylinder from the bike? I can't find any videos online and thought about maybe taking it to a locksmith once removed.

2. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    Any chance someone was messing with it and broke something off inside the tumbler?

3. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Disassembling the switch is easy, not much to it, the problem is going to be getting the tumbler released from the tumbler housing. They are snapped in and require a tool to depress the locking mechanism. For obvious reasons, information is limited on tools and approach. I would get the switch assembly out, and separate the tumbler portion and take it to a locksmith, after I call around and talk to a few folks to confirm their ability.