I'm getting REALLY PISS.... UPSET!

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by joshbea6, Mar 24, 2009.

1. joshbea6

joshbea6 New Member

United States
    Map
    Ok, this is REALLY starting to get frustrating.

Here is the scoop. I sent an email to the guy in Cleveland with the bike with the information for the shop that I want him to take the bike to on Sunday. I also called him and left a message telling him that I sent him an email.

It is now Tuesday and no contact from him.

To further matters on my bike search, I went to a local dealership where they have a 2002 VFR800 on a rebuilt title for the same price (7K miles on the clock, asking $3995). I have seen this bike before and here is how the conversation went with the dealership:

I asked to hear the bike run. Response was we keep no batteries in the bikes, and don't start them unless the "numbers" work and we are guaranteed that you are going to actually buy the bike. I didn't get to hear the bike run last year when I went in to look at it either, said they winterized the bike. This dealership also dyno's the bikes, so I asked to see the dyno readout for the bike. We don't keep the dyno sheets unless there is something wrong with the bike to verify that we have fixed it. I then just for my own laughs, told the guy, ok, lets talk numbers so I can hear the bike run. His first attempt at numbers was the asking price. I started to laugh. I told him that I was going to offer him $3k to $3200 for the bike and he said that he couldn't do that. So I left.

There is a dealership in Cleveland that has a 2006 VFR NEW, no miles. They are asking $7800 for it. I told them that I would like to make them an offer, and they basically laughed at me and told me that they had no ability to move on their price.

I talked to a dealership in Seattle, Washington that has a CLEAN title 2005 VFR with 20K miles on it with some scratched up fairings. They are asking $4800 for it. I asked if they would be willing to do $4800 out the door (meaning including tax, tags, and title), and they said that they had no room to move on that price.

I talked to a local dealership (about 25 miles from me) to see if they had any 2007 or older VFR's. They lied to me and said that they did, and when I asked for which years they had, they told me to look at the website. I did, and there are NO VFR's on their site outside of the 2009 models.

Does NOBODY want to sell me a VFR?

I thought that in this economy where nobody is getting ANY money, that someone would be interested in selling me a bike...

Apparently not. And I'm starting to get VERY at this WHOLE PROCESS!

2. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    Lgn001 (a member here) is selling his 07 RWB. He is in Cali though.

3. Fizz

Fizz New Member

Map
    Solution: Stop talking to dealers.

4. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    I am flabbergasted Josh. I figured that the dealers would have been dropping to their knees begging for your business now. I am surprised that you are looking at Seattle when you in are in OH though.

I will say that many dealers I have heard will no longer have a VFR on the showroom floor as they are very slow movers (CBR's R1's, Gixxer's outsell them tenfold), and they will have to order one for you.

Can I ask why you are not looking at buying from an individual? Many dealers try and screw you anyways. There is a guy on there who is now selling his 07 for 7-8k.

5. joshbea6

joshbea6 New Member

United States
    Map
    Here is what I am looking at here guys.

I don't have very deep pockets, so I need to keep my purchase price below $6K at the most, and this needs to cover tax, tags, title and $500 for insurance, so that puts price for the bike at somewhere in the $5K range. I have not seen many if ANY 6th gen's for $5K or less, and I want a 6th gen.

I am also looking at private individuals, but there are not many that are even listing their VFR's for that kind of price range. Heck I've seen people even here on the boards listing their 2002's for about $7K. I mean COME ON!! a 7 year old bike for $7000?!?! Who are you trying to kid?

6. hondajt

hondajt New Member

"There is a dealership in Cleveland that has a 2006 VFR NEW, no miles. They are asking $7800 for it. I told them that I would like to make them an offer, and they basically laughed at me and told me that they had no ability to move on their price."

Buy it for that price. Its a steal.

7. Rev

Rev New Member

what's the name of the seattle dealership

8. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Are you looking at dealerships because you can get financing? 5k is going to be a hell of a lot more than 5k by the time they get done with you. Crashed bikes? Salvage titles? No way Jose'!!

The El Grande Chingon dealer in Seattle went tits up of recent. They blamed it on icy streets. LOL..

For valuation use one of several "bluebooks".

9. abnviffer

abnviffer New Member

Map
    I would have to agree. I bought my '06 in the beginning of '07 from a dealer with 2 miles on it for 9000 out the door. Best deal I could find around here.

10. IA-Mike

IA-Mike New Member

11. VifferDude

VifferDude New Member

If it makes you feel any better I paid $16k for mine new ('08) here in Australia. an '02 with low miles would easy fetch $10k.

12. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Ebay is your friend! heres the bike i bought a few months back:

eBay Motors: Honda : VFR800 (item 250361723807 end time Feb-01-09 11:27:22 PST)

i was able to talk him down to $6500 cash off ebay and in person. it was one of the best decisions ive ever made! he owns a shop called ride it like a bandit in miami. i was surprised he was a really nice guy. he drove with me all over miami to 2 different tag agencies and translated for me.( no one speaks english in miami lol)

13. joner7777

joner7777 New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I paid £2.600 for mine.5th gen, 1 owner,7000 miles, year2000,as new.
    The guy wanted £3.500 but i found out he was desperate to pay his tax bill which had to be paid in 5 days and he was outta work (credit crunch) so he took my offer.
    Find someone who NEEDS the dosh, they will drop!
    Dealers will say (yes sir we have a vfr) but no they have not ,they will trade buy in to match a order! and probably earn 1 k out of you!

14. joshbea6

joshbea6 New Member

United States
    Map
    Name of the Seattle Dealership is I-90 Motorsports.

15. birdman7389

birdman7389 New Member

I have not listed or posted mine yet, but I have an '05 Red non-abs with 20K, never down, no scratches or flaws. I will sell to the first guy with $5500. Keep looking, not everyone is stubborn :)

16. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    I agree...for a NEW bike that is a good price. Very good.

17. Action

Action New Member

United States
    Map
    Would you consider a 5th gen? It would be easier to find in your price range (LINK). You would get a bike with some advantages like gear driven cams and no cat. But if you like the 6th gen bikes keep looking, I think your best bet would be a private seller. Posting here is a good idea too, lots of members notice VFR's that most people overlook. Good Luck in your search.

Action

PS - I know nothing about the bike in the link. I just check craigslist a couple of times a week for fun.

18. ken98043

ken98043 New Member

I bought my 2004 VFR in Febuary for $5,000 off of Craigslist in Seattle. It had 3086 miles. It is a great bike.

19. monk69

monk69 New Member

"If it makes you feel any better I paid $16k for mine new ('08) here in Australia. an '02 with low miles would easy fetch $10k."
    While you're trying to make us Yanks feel better,how much is a gallon of gas there.....Monk

20. ken98043

ken98043 New Member

Last weekend I paid $2.39 a gallon in Lynnwood.