I'm never wearing this Shoei again!

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by 2007VFR, Apr 8, 2013.

1. 2007VFR

2007VFR New Member

I have previously expressed my dis-like and dis-pleasure with this crummy pin-lock shield system, but the thing has got me truly pissed off now. I've had some useless products in my life, but this helmet takes the cake. I have tried a new insert, painstakingly installed it and adjusted the eccentric pins, and if you look at the picture you'll see what I have every day riding to work. It's pathetic. An email to the company yielded nothing....not even a response at all.
    And the 2nd picture is how I took my frustration out on the insert....this helmet will NEVER go on my head again. If anybody is interested make me a reasonable offer. I'm going back to my trusted and FOG FREE Suomy Troy Bayliss replica....screw this Shoei.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  2. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    Wait are you mad at the helmet or the pnlock system. Because shoie doent make that system. It is licensed. Can you just get a non pinlock face shield and keep the helmet?

3. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Sorry for your bad experience.............Is it the pin lock or the helmet that having problem fitting? I know Randy and Jason using the same set up and they are very pleases.

4. zombie

zombie New Member

Canada
    What a sales pitch!!!
    I'll buy that for a dollar!
    Sucks that you are having that much grief with it, have you tried going to an authorized dealer and asking them to install it with a promise that it will work? Might be worth a try.

5. OOTV

OOTV Insider

If you're having trouble with the pin lock, then I would have to agree that the helmet is not the issue. I have to ask as to what issue you were having? I first came across the pin lock when I bought my Schuberth C3 (comes with pin lock visor/lens) and I liked it so much I bought a smoked pin lock lens for my Shoei RF-1100. Both helmets work great with it.

6. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I think you and I have crossed this path before. Maybe someone else. But I have the X twelve Shoei and the pinloc system. I swear by both. I ride (used to anyways) in about as bad weather as anyone here. I have replaced my inloc shields a couple times only because they got so pitted from sand and grit from winter freeway riding.

When I first got my helmet, I had a concern and made contact with Shoei. I could not be happier with the response I got from them. They did not resolve my complaint but their explanation explained to me why that would have been impossible if they wanted to maintain the airflow of the helmet. Anyways I was quite satisfied.

I can;t help but wonder. When you sent them an e-mail, did you blow your top at them? That could cause them to hit the delete button.

Even with an issue I had with Tourmaster where I am totally disappointed with their product, I did get replies from them. There was a short period of time where the rep did not get back to me, But I maintained my cool and kept at it and they replied.

7. 2007VFR

2007VFR New Member

OK let me clarify; It's not possible to get a regular anti-fog shield for this helmet. I have tried at 3 different places. You are stuck with the pin-lock system on this one.
    And no....I am NOT mad at the helmet, the helmet is very nice. But given the fact that the only option is what it has, I will never wear it again. I've had more aggravation than I can take with this thing.

8. 2007VFR

2007VFR New Member

Yes, I kinda blew my top in my email to Shoei. Not in what I would call a disrespectful way, and they should have responded.

Sorry Zombie, a dollar is slightly short of what I had in mind ;)

9. zombie

zombie New Member

Canada
    Lol, too bad. I was hoping it was free shipping too!

10. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    Very few helmets have good anti-fog. You're either stuck with using a treatment or pinlock. While i looked at the pinlock i decided against mostly persinal preference stuff.

If you want a anti fog and dont like pinlock, then take a look at scorpion helmets. they use the same shit that are used for hockey helmet lenses that keeps them fog free.

There was this stuff in a little blue jar if anti fog treatment i got from a ski shop that worked well. It was to keep your goggles from fogging in the cold and high altitudes. Maybe go outside the motorcyle biz for a solution.

I just keep my lens slight cracked using the lever in the helmet taht vents the lens. I have a shoie RF 1100

I hope some if this is helpful

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  11. 2007VFR

2007VFR New Member

I have a Suomy with an anti fog lense, and also an HJC CL13.
    I emailed Shoei again. This time I was slightly nicer, maybe they'll respond. If they don't, then I will call the number.
    I think I will go just try some helmets on....I will try a Scorpion, I've never had one on my head.

12. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    One reason for this is that most, I will exclude myself here, ride in milder dryer weather so the motorcycle helmet manufacturers will design and build their helmets for as much air flow as possible to keep your knoggen cool. Of course, anytime there is a vent, there is a place for moisture to readily get inside the helmet, and this is one huge reason for the fogging. Along with your breathing too of course. My Sharke helmet was not too bad at all, but that was not the best helmet for me, though I got three or four good years out of it.

This kinda surprises me cause if you watch how some of them play, you would think the inside of their visors were painted black! LOL.

Was never aware of this stuff but good to know. I used to use dish washing liquid on the inside. Once you got used to the "slightly smudgy view, that worked fabulous for me. Only had to re-apply every five or so 100 mile commutes in down pours. But I don't do that anymore.

13. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    I wonder if shave cream would work... Kinda like a shower mirror. Hahahahaha.

14. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Actually I tried that too. ANd tooth past, bar soap, shampoo. But found the dish soap the best. But the shave cream did work.

15. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    This looks to be the same shit... Pardon the pun. Cat Crap

16. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    I think you gave me the info on this before and from what I could find out, they no longer make that stuff. Unless someone started it up again.

17. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    Looks like REI and a couple other joints carry it.

Google cat shit... I mean cat crap.

18. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Still curious as to what the issue is/was. There are many users of the Pin Lock system and many swear by it. As I mentioned before, my Schuberth came with it and it worked so well for me, that I bought it for my Shoei (RF-1100) and both are performing flawlessly. Not trying to make the OP feel bad, but knowing what the issue is may help others with the same or similar issue.

Shoei CW-1 Pinlock Visor Review - Motorcycle USA
    Pinlock Anti Fog Visor - webBikeWorld

19. 2007VFR

2007VFR New Member

I posted pictures with the very first post....look at them and you will see the issue.

20. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I see what appears to be a broken up lens and your helmet. You did not explain how it got like that. Did the lens suddenly explode into pieces? Where you wearing the helmet with the lens installed and it broke apart while riding? Were you trying to install it and it broke into pieces? Get what I'm asking?