Import a VFR800X Crossrunner to U.S.A.?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by LegendMotorsports, Aug 29, 2022.

1. LegendMotorsports

LegendMotorsports New Member

United States
    Map
    Has anyone imported a VFR800x to the U.S.? I really enjoy my Vtec's but like the idea of the upright riding position of the Crossrunner as I'm getting older.
    Has anyone gotten a European model to pass US EPA standards?
    Or does anyone know if they comply with California emission requirements?
    Even if it would not pass EPA emission standards I'd be interested in knowing the approximate cost of bringing one over from U.K.. Maybe not as a Running vehicle, but a complete one, maybe disassembled.
    I'd appreciate input from anyone with experience in vehicle import/exports.
    Thanks

2. vfrgiving

vfrgiving New Member

Police version handlebar kits are available for 2002-2007 VFRs. I haven't done one on a 6th gen, but I've installed a few kits for 98-01's. Riding position becomes standard upright. It's my favorite VFR modification.

02-05 RC46 without ABS
    https://japan.webike.net/products/2076760.html

06-07 RC45 with ABS
    https://japan.webike.net/products/2076726.html

I would inquire with their (Webike's) customer service regarding bike specifics before ordering.

Here's a Cycle Ergo comparison I did between the Police handlebar kit installed (5th gen) and a Crossrunner.
    5thcross.jpg

3. LegendMotorsports

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the input. I'm familiar with the ergo website.

4. LegendMotorsports

United States
    Map
    I was not familiar with the police bars set up. I might like that. More pull back than my big Helibars. There would still be a difference in hip and knee angles. Honestly, I think maybe I just feel cheated that the 800X was not offered in the U.S. and I'd like to have one. It's a different bike with the same power plant. I see used ones for sale in U.K. but have no experience in bringing a vehicle into the country. I thought I'd ask here first before attempting to bring one over and running into unforeseen issues.

5. vfrgiving

vfrgiving New Member

That image I posted of the 5th gen vs cross runner is with the stock foot pegs. I have Knight Design lower foot pegs installed as well that drop the feet 1 - 3/8 inches. Increase knee and hip angles a bit. You can punch that value in the ergo site to see the results. I think I also show the foot peg values in the handlebar thread over in the 5th gen forum.

LegendMotorsports likes this.
  6. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    Check with the government before attempting to import...... chances are if it's not a production model for the US market, you can't import it.... I'd love to have one and can't import to Canada either!!
    Example, CBF1000 was sold in Canada and Europe, but you can't import one to the US. A friend tried who was moving from here to there and they told him under no circumstances could he import it.

7. vfrgiving

vfrgiving New Member

Unless there's some back channel means I've never heard of, I think the long running standard for importing foreign vehicles into the states officially is it has to wait 25 years.

So in 2022 the newest vehicle you could import would be a 1997 model year.

I'm guessing California has their own smog standards that would get added on to the 25 year rule as well. Maybe not for bikes though?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2022
  8. LegendMotorsports

United States
    Map
    I'd appreciate input from anyone with experience in vehicle import/exports.
    Thanks[/QUOTE]
    Thank you all for the input. All helpful info.
    I'm still curious how much just the shipping would cost to get a bike from UK to US.
    Like if it were just a track bike?
    It would only require proof of ownership to come into the U.S. but would not be street legal.

9. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    If I happened to get an X in the states for "Closed Course Competition Only", I'd rock a VFR800F plate on there no problem.

10. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    OK If you believe Google estimates then I have just obtained an indicative shipping cost (excluding customs etc) of around 600GBP to move a vfr800X from London to San Diego. There are then a heap of extra costs to factor in, including preparing the bike for shipping (draining liquids) and then securely crating it up in a suitable shipping container. Air freight is faster but roughly 10x the cost of sea freight.

Inherently to make it road legal you will probably need to change stuff - the UK/European Euro 4 spec engine and emissions may well be fine as it is basically the same as a 2014 VFR800F model but things like E type approved bulbs may need to be replaced with USA spec bulbs and this may mean some rewiring as would the indicators need to comply with USA rules.

Before you waste a lot of time on this idea I suggest you research the big question - whether or not the USA has any form of IVA (individual vehicle approval) process similar to that in the UK system described here ...
    https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-approval/individual-vehicle-approval

or the SVA system operated in the EU.

Hopefully someone in the States will know if such a scheme exists and provide a link to the revelvant process. I suspect that if money is no object (or your name is Jay Leno) then it will always be possible!

In Europe IVA schemes basically involve paying authorised (expensive) experts to review and inspect an imported vehicle and check that it has been duly modified sufficiently to comply with national rules. Inherently you need to do your homework to identify and fix all mandatory differences or you will end up paying two test costs with the first examination simply producing a list of what is wrong, and then paying for a subsequent check to confirm that everything wrong has been fixed before it can be released from bond.

I suspect you might find it easier to bring in an EU homologated VFR800X as it will have headlights set up to driving on the right side of the road and already has instrument displays covering a range of display options including KPH/MPH and language and fuel options for imperial and US gallons. I have a feeling that a vehicle with UK spec headlights may be more problematic as the dip beam setting is obviously set up to point the wrong way.

Finally I have only briefly tested out a VFR800X and quickly concluded it was far too tall for me even though I liked the potential for a VFR with improved off road performance. It would be a shame to spend a shed load of cash to bring one to the states only to find it was too tall for you to ride happily. If you ever plan to visit the EU or Japan it might be worth arranging a test ride.

Take care ATGATT

SkiMad

Scubalong likes this.
  11. LegendMotorsports

United States
    Map

Thank you. Your contribution is incredibly helpful.
    Budget is a major concern for me. I'd want it to go smoothly with costs known in advance and no chance of problems. Your advice is very helpful to avoid problems. I will look into all of this and update the post as I learn or manage to progress in this effort. Thank you

12. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    I would not wish to advise against trying to snag a 2nd gen VFR800X as it does get plenty of brilliant write ups like this - provided you are tall enough..

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/honda/crossrunner-800/2015/

However if funds are tight then I think that once you start adding in all the customs dues and transportation hassles it would make it unviable, and you may be better off looking at roughly equivalent models already available in the States like the Yamaha Tracer or BMW F900XR.

13. Billy Jack

Billy Jack New Member

I know the big draw of the vfr series has been the v4 but if you can live with more power, less weight, better chassis, brakes etc and don’t mind a liter inline four then I would look really hard at this one.

1DA132C5-9F8E-4331-A414-84A56F6B89F5.png 4191485C-A6C1-4112-B12F-98DA6BC0D19F.jpeg