Inexpensive, reliable replacement fuel pump for 95?

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by Gary Rhode, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Gary Rhode

Gary Rhode New Member

United States
    Can anyone recommend a replacement fuel pump for my '95? Prices seem to range from $10 to $175 and reviews vary wildly.

Help from fellow riders would be appreciated.

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Nothing from China is good advice on fuel pumps. if you do try the lowest price, buy 2 or 3 at the same time cuz you'll be needinem soon.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2019
  3. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

inexpensive and reliable are mutually exclusive. For certain items, you can't beat OEM.

4. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Good, fast, cheap. Pick any two.

5. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    try a salvage yard or used parts emporium as the same basic fuel pump (Mitsubishi) was used by Honda, Yamaha, and Kawi + others on bikes between 1985 and 1997, and working used pumps are better quality than any replacement and also available for reasonable $$.

the only adaptations that might be needed are simple wiring and hose adjustments for your bike. for example, the carbed ZX-7 i usta own

Zhouse.jpg

had the same pump but the hose outlets were angled differently from the VFR but adaptable to any use. minor electrckal plug and wiring mods might be needed if switching a pump from one bike brand to another.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2019
  6. OOTV

OOTV Insider

In my effort to find a replacement fuel pump for my 01, I spoke with fellow VFRWorld member sfdownhill, as he just went through this process. He had found that a company named Caltric had OEM style replacements and that he was able to find and buy via Amazon. He also said that he put a Caltric pump in a friends Yamaha and it's been running fine for 2 years now. Not sure if this company actually makes them or just sources them, sounds like the latter. Anyway, I'm in the middle of doing a gas tank swap and will be installing one of their fuel pumps. Based on the look and design, they appear to be identical but cannot say for sure where it's manufactured.

Here is a link to the Caltric website and for the fuel pump on your bike. Cheers

http://www.caltric.com/index.php/motorcycles/honda-vfr750f-interceptor-1995-intank-fuel-pump.html