installed f4I shock on '99 vfr

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by druggrepp, Feb 17, 2008.

1. druggrepp

druggrepp New Member

Hey,
    I saw how to do this on vfrd site and at 250lb 6'1" my rear shock was kaput at 26k.
    I bought a 2006 cbr f4I shock with nitrogen cartidge off Ebay for $75 with 200 miles on it. It had rebound AND compression adjustments.
    The guys advise I took said 20 minutes. No way.
    It took 2 hrs to do it right. The f4i shock is just a tad shorter so I stacked large washers on the top brkt bolt.
    I will ride today and let you know.
    Instead of hiding the nitro reservoir on the battery box, I ran the hose out left side and hid it inside left rear plastic. It is 6 inches from Reg rec.
    Also the most I can get out of my bike is 150mph with a K&N and a slipon Vance and Hines.
    I read the 2006 will go 170mph. That would be much better.

2. druggrepp

druggrepp New Member

First ride with new shock

I rode my '99 vfr today wit f4I rear nitrogen shock and what a HUGE difference!
    It rides like a new bike. The corners where it wallowed before it is very steady and the bumps that used to make me lift my fat butt off the seat, now just get absorbed.
    Worth every penny. I will place pics on soon.

3. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    cool, I'd like to see the pics. thats much cheaper than buying a new aftermarket shock.

4. mikeym

mikeym New Member

++++1

Can you post pictures and a link to the page you were looking at on the VFRD site? If all works out right I'll be picking up a VFR with roughly 27k on it and stock suspension this Saturday.

I'd like to do the CBR600 shock conversion if I can do it... Looks inexpensive.

However I'm slightly worried about the "washers" etc... sounds jerry rigged.

~mikeym

5. Taz

Taz New Member

6. mikeym

mikeym New Member

that could do it!

I still need a link and a write up. I see a 929 shock conversion but no CBR600... shrugs...

~mikeym

7. druggrepp

druggrepp New Member

VFRD pics of shock install

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=32986

One thing I did notice though is that is IS lower in the back, even with the washers{spacers} to get enough thread on the top shock brkt bolt under gas tank, I couldn't use as many spacers as i like.
    It rides great and handles even better, so I am going to pull top brkt, weld a longer bolt to it and add more spacers to get the height right.
    Also lots of riders said a cbr 929 shock would work even better cause the spring is heavier than f4I.
    Nitrogen cartridge makes all the difference.

8. druggrepp

druggrepp New Member

F4i rear shock mod

Well. I did it and pulled the top shock brkt and welded an 1 1/2 " longer bolt to top of it.
    Then since I weigh 250, I put 1" of spacers on the welded bolt and reinstalled.
    Perfecto!. The rear is just the right height, the new shock rides twice as nice but not overly soft.
    To do this:
    1 put bike on ctrstand
    2 pull seat, remove 2 rear gas tank bolts, put 2" block of wood to hold tank hi enough for you to get top shock nut off.
    3 Remove top shock nut, remove all 3 bolts off bottom of shock.
    4 remove old shock out bottom of swingarm, you may have to remove top shock brkt to get out.
    5 Put new shock in place and secure nitrogen reservoir in left seat cowl area.

9. Wabbit1961

Wabbit1961 New Member

Map
    You work WAY too hard...

The 929 fits in as a direct replacement, and can be had, like yours was, on Ebay from a wreck being parted out. From what I read on VFRD it's either the 929 or the F4i front forks that are identical to the VFR in length and diameter, and the internals can be swapped out without changing your original forks. Again, Ebay for a parted out bike, buy the forks, trash the tubes, and use the internals. Even better, buy a new set of Progressive springs to put in with the new internals.

Stan

10. druggrepp

druggrepp New Member

f4i shock tried out at speed

Today is the first time that i have gotten to wring out my '99 vffr since I put the 4fi shock on the back. i also aldded 1/4 turn more preload in front.
    Unfreaking believable! I rode 200 miles with a friend on his new Buell1200 and smoked him in the corners.
    It turns in great, no more wallowing, it actually handles like a sporbike now instead of a tired vffr.
    I stayed above 90-100mph through the same corners that felt safe at 80before. I actually raised the back up 1" over stock which is why i added more front preload. This is my 7th sportbike and while I do miss the power of a liter bike, the vffr just rides right on through and I can actually get back on the power much sooner in the turn because of the flat torque, Something I would never do on my Cbr 929.
    This is actually starting to turn out to be quite a fun little bike.