Insurance for VFR (2003)

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by TSL2112, Jan 28, 2003.

1. TSL2112

TSL2112 New Member

I'm about 4 days away from putting money down on a 2003 VFR, and I'm having problems with insurance. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm 33 with a good driving history, and Progressive (among others) wants over $2,500 per year for full coverage! I'm hoping this isn't normal and that there are others that I don't know about yet...

2. jcm

jcm New Member

I had a quote for full coverage (collision, theft) of about $1200. in a rural part of massachusetts in 2002 for a new 2001 VFR. Since I wasn't financing my bike I had the option of getting just the cumpulsory, which I did for $296. I ride carefully and park carefully, and roll the dice a little. I'd never pay 25% of a vehicle's value per year. Good luck. If you pay even half of that you better ride a lot of miles to get your money's worth.

3. spencerl

spencerl New Member

I just switched to a '98 VFR and found my auto carrier will not insure it. I received an ad from GMAC in my Rider magazine and called for a quote. They were the least expensive of any I checked and includes comp/coll together automatically (of course you cna chose your own deductible to save $)

GMAC's # is 1-800-847-2886.

Good luck,

Spencer

4. rshimmel

rshimmel New Member

I added my 02 VFR to my Farmers auto policy and it's running about $600 per year... I'm in Ventura, at the top end of Southern California.

5. Jake

Jake New Member

I've got State Farm. 16 bucks a month for full coverage on a '98 800Fi. (that's in Northern MN--No traffic and you can only ride about five or six months outta the year and that's reflected in your rates.)

Of course, I have two other vehicles and my house insured with them as well. Plus I've been with them for over 15 years and have had only one collectible accident and not a whole lotta tickets either.

If you stick with State Farm for a long time, you get good rates.

Jake

6. TSL2112

TSL2112 New Member

I really appreciate everyone's comments, and after some research, it's looking like State Farm has the best rates. Thanks for your help! :)

7. Guest

Guest Guest

I pay $380 per year for full coverage on a 2001 VFR in WY (State Farm).

8. kevinw

kevinw New Member

I'm 39 & pay $290 a year for full coverage on my '98 through Progressive.

9. meat_sac

meat_sac New Member

33, one bike accident last year. I have State Farm and pay $250/year for full coverage.

Generally to get lower rates you have to insure a car, house or renters with someone.

I have a car and insurance with State Farm besides my bike.

10. RedRte1

RedRte1 New Member

Hey Meat Sac - good to see you over here!! Ever since Scooter left vfrdiscussion it's not been the same :(

Back on thread - I pay about $400/yr. (full coverage) with Allstate and no other vehicles insured with them. I too have found Progressive to be one of the highest of all carriers - by far.....they quoted me something like $1700/yr.......I just laughed.

later brad aka Interceptor aka RedRte1

11. Old_Codger

Old_Codger New Member

Just insured a new 2003 with State Farm in Oregon.
    Full Coverage, no medical $284.00 a year.

12. master_of_puppets

master_of_puppets New Member

I agree State Farm has one of the best rates the only cach you must insure you car with them as well.

13. RedRocket800

RedRocket800 New Member

This is pretty pathetic. My name is Rick also, and I live in south end of southern California, and I also have a car, and home policy with Farmers, and their rate on my bike sucked ! It was about $ 1300, and I have a clean record.
    Maybe you should PM me your agent's name, and number. >:(

14. Guest

Guest Guest

I just finally got my 2001 VFR I bought two weeks ago covered today. I went through Allstate who has my home and two autos. I thought they were high until I checked everyone else including Daiyland who has my old bike for 150.00 a year. State Farm was pretty reasonable but they want all your business not just a bike. Some State Farm will write cycle only but not thier best rate. I'm 37 clean record paid 226.00 per six months full coverage 25/50/25. I figured we wnat to play we gota pay.

Joe

15. Nailer45

Nailer45 New Member

Insurance cost

I am 41 and have not had a ticket since 1988..I have my 1999 VFR800
    insured through PEKIN Insurance full coverage $214 a year...

16. easyrdr

easyrdr New Member

Map
    98 VFR Central Florida 20k/50k liability, collision, comp $317/year Progressive.
    Underinsurred motorist added would be over$700

17. brian_06328

brian_06328 New Member

United States
    Map
    I pay $14.00 per month for full coverage on my '96 VFR, the rate hasn't changed since I got it in '99. I use State Farm but I have multiple line discounts with vehicle and homeowners through them as well.

18. Dragonrider1

Dragonrider1 New Member

Progressive is one of the most expensive around for insurance companies when it comes to bikes though they are good. As for getting insurance on a bike? State Farm, State Farm, oh, did I mention State Farm? They dont' care what kind of bike it is, they only go by the engine size. The VFR runs me about $20 a month (knoxville, TN, 35 year old single guy in an apartment complex) and it's about $1 more than the R6 which is smaller, but 3 years newer. I have, unfortunately, had to use the claims for theft on a few previous bikes. All were handled very well. My rates are probably a little lower than average as I've had state farm for almost 20 years now, but even those who are new to them seem to come out way ahead.

19. JazonVFR

JazonVFR New Member

I pay $331 every 6 months that w/uninsured thur State Farm, and I'm a first time bike owner. Keep looking for insurance.

20. 2003_VTEC_Rider

2003_VTEC_Rider New Member

Map
    Thought that I would chime in on what I pay for my 2003. I have the same coverage that I do on my cars, and live in one of the highest insurance states in the country (Michigan). I pay about a grand a year, and that is with 100/300/100 Liability and with broad form collision (I don't pay a deductible if someone is at fault for an accident). You want to make sure that when you tell them you have a motorycle, that you give them an accurate account of how often you ride, how many miles, and whether or not you have an alarm, etc.
    In Michigan, we have a really high theft rate, so they hammer you on insurance. Mine even went down because I have my stored in my very secured garage, I checked out progressive when I got mine, and it was crazy expensive.