Iridium Spark Plugs - 6th Gen

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by stewartj239, Dec 20, 2009.

1. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    I went to my local bike shop yesterday to get some replacement plugs for my '07. The bike has the NGK IMR9B-9H iridium plugs. They didn't have them in stock, but I was informed that they will cost around $16 per plug for a grand total of $64. That seems a bit much to me for spark plugs. Has anybody found an alternate / cheaper plug? If I have to spend the money, I will, but I want to make sure that I'm not missing something here. Is this in line with what others have paid for new plugs?

2. rufussrgnt

rufussrgnt New Member

Map
    How many miles do you have on your bike? The IMR9B-9H's typically live a LONG time. The VFR800 maintenance schedule doesn't call for replacement until 32,000 miles.

3. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    I know it calls for replacement at 32K but it also askes for you to inspect at 16K and replace if needed. I swapped at 20K and used the Denso IUH27. It is an alternate for the 6th gen. Goolge it. You should find they are about $10.

you will see listed VNH27Z but there is no such product not even on Denso's site. The IUH27 covers the 781cc 1998 - 2003 but 2002-03 are 6th gen bikes.

Denso Reference: http://www.globaldenso.com/cgi-bin/...earch&filename=mc-75.txt&name=&engine=&FF=350 <<--Link

The above link lists 2006-2002 VFR 800/ABS

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  4. vfr2k2

vfr2k2 New Member

Plugs

Check this out...
    http://vfrworld.com/forums/introductions/13664-iridium-spark-plugs.html
    Some very good input from members on plugs.

You want to powder coat your wheels,
    change sprockets and install a speedo healer,
    but when it comes to plugs....you want to ?????

I'd go with the OEM recommendations...just buy at the right price!
    $64 over 32,000 miles more or less....back in the day......

There are some important caveats when installing the iridium plugs....re gapping and installation....check with the manufactruer and follow their instructions.

Nuff said!

5. Meatloaf

Meatloaf New Member

United States
    Map
    Wow, I don't think that I've ever heard anyone say it better. So many of us say we treat our bikes like garage queens. They get premium gas, they get washed weekly or more, polished, all sorts of addons, coverd up, brought in the house, etc. However when it comes down to it, some don't take the proper care where it counts, maintenance. Don't skimp on the plugs, sprockets, chain, oil, filters, or tires. You're bike will love you much longer if you take care of her on the inside instead of the outside.

$65 over 32k miles? I'll take it hapilly and just be very happy that there aren't 2 plugs per cylinder like many of the V-Twins I've worked on.

6. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    Guys - as I said above, if I need to spend the money, I will. I just want to make sure I'm not getting hosed and that the iridium plugs are what I must put in the bike. I have 3 other bikes that I keep in tip-top shape and I can buy a set of plugs for the price of just one of the iridum plugs. No cutting corners here, I don't believe in it. However, I will question expenses that at least initially seem out of whack.

7. MrDen

MrDen New Member

Sixteen bux per plug is pretty much in line for the irridium plugs.

8. TimRav

TimRav New Member

+1. You can sometimes get them a little cheaper via ebay, but $16 is still a fair price IMO.

Stewart - I have a set of original 6th gen plugs I removed last year that should have at least 5k-6k life left in them. (Replaced them while chasing down an electrical gremlin, but the problem wasn't the plugs.) Yours for the price of shipping. PM me if interested.

9. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the offer TimRav. Since I've got the tank off and the plugs out, I think I'll just go ahead and replace them. The price seems to be what others are paying. I'll replace the air cleaner while I'm in there as well. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

10. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    OK

I guess no Internet shoppers in this thread..... Or Denso takers here ....

11. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    You're right that the manual does list the Denso VNH27Z as an optional plug, but their site shows that the IUH27 is for our bike (as you noted). Thanks for the heads up. I'm heading to the shop on Wednesday and will see what he can get them for.

12. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    < $10 online.... NGK are about $11 online amazon I think.

13. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Price isn't the only indicator of quality. While it is often true that you "get what you pay for," we aren't talking the difference between a $2.50 plug vs. a $16.00 plug.

If pill recommends looking into another plug, it's worth checking out on your own. I haven't seen one person chime in that the alternative plug was inferior for any other reason than it didn't come factory.

Do some of you also recommend that you only buy the the tire that came on the bike or is it ok to shop that around?

- :eek: I see a few posts showed up while I was adding mine

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  14. Keager

Keager Member

United States
    Map
    A lot of auto parts stores have the same plug. And a whole lot cheaper.

15. betarace

betarace New Member

16. digitallyhip

digitallyhip New Member

Canada
    $34.95 for four.

I don't know about US shipping, but CDN shipping and insurance is $7.20 ($5 shipping and $2.20 for insurance).

He says he has two sets.

17. Keager

Keager Member

United States
    Map
    Amazon sells just about everything.

18. vfr2k2

vfr2k2 New Member

Spin Doctors?

:smile:Hello tinkerinWstuff

Interesting comments. And really so very true. I whole heartedly agee with most. But not all.

May we review the thread.

stewartj239 says $64 seems a bit much....for spark plugs...anybody found an alternate / cheaper plug? A good and fair question...often asked....there is always a cheaper alternate?
    rufussrgnt adds great comments re oem maintenace shedule timeline....
    bitterpil suggests the Denso IUH27...the other oem (HONDA) recommended plug.....still iridium...cheaper? maybe....and a recommended timeline...and a link...what could be better
    vfr2k2 says check out what other members have said in the past regarding plug replacement...most agree to stick with iridium...norcalboy suggests Denso....vfr2k2 says "go with OEM recommendations ((HONDA) (which if you check the manual states the NGK and Denso numbers elsewhere alluded to in this thread))... just buy at the right price! Now I might have said rudely...don't buy at the dealer....or local bbike shop which has to order them anyway... but said instead I suggested ..."just buy them at the right price"...satisfy yourself...the right price for some is different from what it might be for others....some like to shop local...some consider only the bottom line.....to each their own...who am I to suggest where one should buy or shop?
    I then. very foolishly I suppose, said that $64 over 32000 miles.......who am I to equate price to value, what is reasonable of not?....I aplologise.
    stewartj239 says if he needs to spend the money he will......remember.....I said to buy at the right price....no recommendtions.....his choice
    Then....Some comments about what the market is indicating....fair of not......opinions....
    bitterpil alludes to internet shopping...or Denso......good on him or her.......the more choices the merrier
    stewartj239......read his Honda manual....and wow bitterpil is right.......HONDA (oem if I'm not mistaken) recommends Denso....(hot damn!)....I'm heading to the shop on Wednesday
    bitterpil gives an online price.....good on him or her
    whereupon tinkerinWstuff gives his opinions of how he reads and interprets the thread and opinions of others as is right so to do and questions his understanding of same. I applaud your statements and concede that I agree with most of your comments. You quote "you get what you pay for". I don't see the reference in this thread. No one talked about a $13.50 price difference. I think that "pil" made a great reference. No one chimed in that the alternate plug was inferior....., I assume since that was never implied or stated. As for the tire statement....? May I ask if you would not give some credence to the oem (HONDA) recommendations that the size specified be adhered to. How, from the thread content, would you even consider that "some" would suggest buying only the tire that came on the bike".
    The balance talk about price.....and as I said from the onset......."just buy at the right price"
    If you believe that I am advocating anything other than what I have stated may I suggest you re read the thread..take your time it's in English.:smil:smile:e:
    Best of the Season

19. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    holy wall-o-words.
    Hey man, have another coffee and take 'er easy. I just offered an opinion like every one else and I didn't believe that I was attacking anyone specifically.

OP asked for alternatives,

pill offered an alternative,

others jumped in offering an opinion to the affect of "spend the money, only the best" or something like that and everyone ignored pill's recommended alternative.

Look at the timestamp and you'll see that my post showed up 20minutes after the prior 2. So I offered my statement after the OP came back and acknowledged pill's alternative and I added the little caveat (acknowledged in the edit) that two more posts were added when I was typing my opinion.

So, in summary, I agree that a person shouldn't cheap out and buy inferior parts. My statement is to say that just because mother honda says to use one particular part, that doesn't mean it's the ONLY quality part on the market.

Therefore, I attempted to use a tire analolgy. Honda recommends a tire but many people here choose to use a different one - not based on price, but based on quaility. OEM's frequently "recommend" a part based on a contract they obtain from a supplier, not because it's the only supplier that meets quality standards but because they met a combination of a quality AND price standard for the OEM's BUILD of the product. The price contracted by the OEM isn't close to what the end user pays for replacements but now they are the "recommended" part for the life of that product....

And now I'm rambling - my whole point is that alternatives may be OK, just do your homework and that a person should never buy based on price alone. Expensive doesn't always mean best and affordable doesn't always mean cheap. :thumbsup:

Cheers!

20. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    WOW!

I agree. I didn't think Tink was calling anyone out specifically. I understand that there were some comments in the thread that mentioned sticking with OEM recommendations and just spend the money (to paraphrase). I under stand the tire analogy even though it was poorly executed.

Basically Honda recommends several things.
    Oil, Spark Plugs tires to name a few. The OEM Tires analogy wsa that honda does more than recommend tire size etc. They list three brands and model numbers that should be used when replacing tires. Much like the spark plug P/Ns. Unfortunately some of the MFG's change the parts without notice.

Anyway, thanks to both. Since I didn't get beat up too bad in this thread for trying to help.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009