Is 58k Miles to much?

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by WillyTheeKid, May 29, 2012.

1. WillyTheeKid

WillyTheeKid New Member

Hi All

New Member from New Zealand, been riding for 30yrs (I don't even drive cars, so my bikes are my only form of transport)

I am currently in the process of obtaining a 96 VFR750, its in very good condition, had all the usual maintenance done and has been lightly used for the last 2yrs due to the current owner breaking his back! and he finds it hard to ride...hence it has sat in storage for 2yrs with the occasional run but regular start ups etc.
    I am swappnig him for my 25k 2001 midnightstar (yeah yeah...a bloody cruiser!), I have only had the crusier for 3-4 months and purchased it due to having to sell my VERY sexy 95 1100 guzzi sport...after a drunk driver sideswiped me last winter and left me with a shattered shoulder. (I did manage to save the bike from getting damaged tho :cool:)

Understandably the guzzi clippons played havoc with my damaged shoulder, and riding her was just leaving me crying on the side of the road after 100 kilometers of rding...so my "PhatGirl" had to go :Cry:

....I thought a nice comfy crusier would be the answer :nono: WRONG!...hate the bloody thing! (great bike etc, but just not me...at all!)

So I am now considering a swap with a mate of mine, My 1600cc midnight star for his 96 VFR750. (I want to see him back on two wheels, and I want to be able to hook into a courner with out leaving half the bike behind!)

The VFR comes with the pillion handles and elusive rear cowl, has just had the front brake disks replaced (total brake rebuild...lines, pads, disks etc..they had worn out), and the bike will have a full service with new battery, fluids and tyres....mecahnically, its sweet! (No smoke etc, sounds strong)

My ONLY concern is the high millage....58500 miles.

Ive had a high milage VFR400 before, and the damn thing just wouldn't die!...just kept on screaming around the race track, season after season.

I would like the VFR communitys view please, should I go for it ? (I have always wanted this model VFR)....or should I be concerned about the high millage and seek out a better one? (they don't come up for sale very often in NZ...another reason why I am looking at grabing this one)

I don't have any pics to share of the actual bike, but its just like this one with the red wheels etc.

...thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    Aside from the usual minor electrical gremlins the VFR engine is one of the most reliable I know of. Assuming all scheduled maintenance was done she should still have many more miles left in her. My only concern would be parts availability when the time comes to replace something. In terms of retail value I would guess that your bike that you plan on trading is worth significant more than the VRF. Is this an even swap??

Rollin

3. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    +1 with Rollin
    Mileage............:crazy: they can go over 100K miles if maintain them well :)

4. Apittslife

Apittslife New Member

Map
    It is a honda, Hell the cages go for 300,000 + Hard Miles!
    My Uncle has an 88 Goldwing with 120.000 miles on it, & she still runs sweet. My Aunt would rather Ride the GW then the Harley Road King they also have.

5. WillyTheeKid

WillyTheeKid New Member

Thanks for the reassurance everyone :)

My VFR400 had huge millage and just kept going & going.
    I have checked out part availability in NZ, and that's not a problem (except for cowls and pillion grab rails...getting hard to find and price's are very high!)
    Yup, my mate is getting the better deal out of this swap, but at least it means hes back on two wheels and I get a VFR that Ive always wanted (love the 95-97 styling etc...the whole VFR range is one of the best bikes ever made in my opinion)

Looks like I will go ahead with the swap, thanks again for confirming what I already suspected....millage...not a problem ;)

Promise to post some pics once I pick it up in 4 weeks time

6. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Mines gots better with age, 21 years old and rides as good or better than the day me boughts it. 78,000 miles

7. 4thGenVFR

4thGenVFR New Member

Map
    83,000 on my 95 and it runs like a Swiss Watch ! Basically the VFR engine is a small Honda car engine rolling on 2 wheels , lol .

8. FoothillRyder

FoothillRyder New Member

My VFR only has about 40K on her, and I figure she's just about fully broken in. Not that it's a direct comparison; but my V65 Sabre (VF1100S) went 156K for me, then was ridden across the US by her new owner and she's still going strong. Maintain 'em and they'll go a whole lot of miles.

and welcome to the zoo! :cool:

9. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    Bought mine with 65k. Runs strong and smooth. Great engine. If it's had good maintenance it should be good for a lot more miles.

Jose

10. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Sheesh, I have a Swiss watch I bought back in early ninties and it has more maintenance papers than my freaking Viffer!!!

Documentation is important weather your talking about vee-hickles or even wrist-watches ; )

11. WillyTheeKid

WillyTheeKid New Member

Pics as promised (sorry for the delay, been a busy few weeks)

Bike has scrubbed up nicely (had nearly 3yrs of storage dirt & grease to be removed)
    Has a scott auto chain oiler, tail tidy unit, new front disks & pads, new set of michelin power pilots, new battery, upgraded R/R, bubble screen, new oil & coolant etc and has just been stripped down, cleaned, tuned and had all the joints & bearings re-greased :)

She's a bit rough under the plastics due to sitting for so long, but apart from a rusted exhaust system and faulty speedo PCB (fixed that allready tho), the bike is in very good condition
    Goes like a cut cat and handles beautifully! , been using her for everyday transport and so far not a problem since the strip down & electrical repairs :)
    ...I thought my nc30 was a good wee bike, but this one is certainly worthy of the "Bike of the year" title it once owned (shes a keeper!, and a great replacement for my 95 guzzi sport)

DSCF5387%20%28800x600%29.jpg
    DSCF5373%20%28800x600%29.jpg
    DSCF5381%20%28800x600%29.jpg
    DSCF5385%20%28800x600%29.jpg