Is this to much $$ to ask

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by tbones86, May 1, 2007.

1. tbones86

tbones86 New Member

Map
    A co-worker offered to buy my 86' VFR, the bike has 35,xxx miles on it runs strong though the carbs should be gone through. New chain & sprockets, brakes & rear tire in June/July of last year. Bike is equipted w/ a K&N filter, Kerker 4 into 1 exhaust, the tank is dent/damage free the side covers & tail section are in good condition (some stress marks & one broken alignment tab on the side panels. The head light surround is in rough shape( A: because it was when I bought it & B: because I slowly dropped on something in the garage one day when the wife came out & started ragging on me about something so I was pi$$ed & being stupid( bike will come w/ a spare surround that needs minor repair but is in good conditon). The lower fairings were missing when I got the bike I have a brand new set of after market lowers that will go with the bike, all mounts are still attached to the bike w/ the exception of the center stand out bolts which where both snapped off @ the frame so those would have to be made or bought from VFRchuck. Anyway I told this kid I would let him have it for $1400(what I paid for it 2.5 yrs ago ) w/ all the extra parts I have included. He agreed to pay me $1600 if I would take payments( I keep the bike until its paid for). Which means he will also be getting a new front tire as well as I will be having it replaced before my trip @ the end of May. The reason I post this is because another one of my dumb ass stupid as brick career alcoholic @ 21 yr old "I wreck all my stuff cuz' its fun" co workers is going around spouting off how thats way to f'in much for that peice Sh!t. ( this is the guy that has the 84' VF700 I posted was for sale a while back so you can guess what he's up to) I just want to make sure that the price sounds fair to those in the know here; I'm not out to screw anyone but I'm not going to sell it for less than that when I have $300 worth of parts that go along with it & another $5-600 tied up in maintenance items in the short time I've owned it . Especially seeing as how the bike wasn't really for sale to begin with, I really just need a bigger bike(comfort thing for my size) & it was an oppurtunity to sell before I stuck $400 into having the carbs gone through & another $300 + on tires before the end of the summer & then $1000 - 1500 replacing bearings wheel/steering head & swing arm bushings, wave rotors, SS brake & clutch lines etc(not because it needs them just because if I'm going to do it I'm going to do it right) & getting it painted.
    Ok so I'm kind of venting here because I'm slightly pissed @ my backwoods ignorant farmboy buddy(not ripping on anyone else but he is the poster child for that cause). I'd appreciate some feed back on the actual content of the post just to make sure I'm not taking advantage of this kid(20) that wants the bike.

Also bike has no leaks, no drips etc, fork seals where replaced prior to my purchasing of it from a collector who was in the process of restoring it when his 15-16 yr old son became entirely to fond of the bike & he decided to sell it before his son got his licence.

Last edited: May 1, 2007
  2. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Personally, I feel if you are financing the cat, then even if it is a little more it is a financing charge. One of the ways I get bikes for lower $ is by taking a wad of cash and offering to pay them cash money, on the spot. If he thinks it's fair, and you think it's fair, then whomever else can suck off. I would clean it up real nice and make sure she's ready, though cause it is a few bux for a 20 yr old bike. On a side note, are you planning on getting another VFR?

3. hustond

hustond New Member

Your Business

Reg is exactly right. It's no ones business the deal you work out with this dude to buy your bike, friend or no friend. You know what you have in it and what you want for it to be attractive to sell it and he knows what he wants to spend to buy it. Sounds like a deal to me.

I'd tell your friend to bite me if it was me, but I'm kind of up front like that. :biggrin:

4. Rev

Rev New Member

Please, $1400 is a good deal; those things go for $2500 out here and they tend to not be in as good a shape. If I had the cash, I'D buy it. Tell your 'buddy' to f#@k off...

5. tbones86

tbones86 New Member

Map
    Well it depends, I think to get the ergo's I'm looking for I'd have to get a Gen 6 which is going to out of the price range. I've been looking @ Suzuki Bandit 1200's, some early 90's CBR 1000's, 94-96 CB1000's(been on my wish list as long as a VFR), a few Blackbirds(also a bit out of reach)& I've even looked @ a few late 80's early 90's Yamaha Ventures(one of my favorite bikes that I've owned in the past). The wife doesn't really care how much I spend as long as its paid for in cash (easy for her to say seeing as I just spent $12,000 on a newer SUV, cash is a little low after that).

6. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    I don't think 1,400 is unfair.

I agree with Rev, take it at that price or leave it! (Notice I was much more politically correct).

BZ