Is wheelie possible?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by pdub06, Jul 14, 2006.

1. pdub06

pdub06 New Member

Map
    I know this probably sounds funny to alot of you. But i was wondering if anyone has wheelied their VFR. If so have you been able to ride it for a good distance?

2. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    yes to wheelie, no to very far.

3. Vlad Impaler

Vlad Impaler New Member

United States
    Map
    Mine has been up about a half dozen times intentionally and probably 50 times unintentionally, particularly accelerating out of tight turns up hill.
    About any bike will raise the front wheel. One of this power/weight will do it easily. Low HP heavy cruisers are the least likely, but if you're willing to punish the crap out of the clutch they'll even lurch the wheel up a bit.
    If you haven't done wheel stands on dirt bikes or thrashed street bikes, I would recommend not learning on your VFR. It's cool, but very un-cool when your clutch is slipping, steering head bearings are loose, body gets trashed in a tip-over, etc. Save Wheel Stand School for the dirt and you will achieve Zen. Now snatch the pebbles from my hand.....

4. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight Well-Known Member

United States
    Map
    I can get mine to wheelie. But the tire has to be up to temp, and I find that at 5k in first gear is a sweet spot. Have i ridden one far, not as far as others that I ride with (they have ZX's, gixxers, and cbr's). But I am waiting on sprockets and chain which hopefully will get here early enough monday that I can change them. Would have had them today but my nieghbor missed the UPS guy. I knew I shoulda put the note on the door to just leave the package.

5. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Yes, easy, takes a bit of throttle clutch work but doable once convident and you know what you're doing. but I'm wondering why you'd want to on this bike? I'm perfectly happy with the front end planted. now if I get an itch, I jump on the 954 now that's a beast that is made for wheelies..

6. WhiteKnight

United States
    Map
    if i only had the money for a cbr to wheelie on................lol

Seriously, 99% of the time I have both wheels on the ground, but I wold not mind having a bike to play on and using the viffer for commuting and the occasional sprint in the twisties.

7. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I'm hoping on making this little VF into a playbike in addition to a learner for my wife. oh, btw, I got married yesterday.

8. pdub06

pdub06 New Member

Map
    reg71 congrats.... vman38 where did you get your sprocket setup from? What size are you going with? I have been looking to get a bigger rear, and smaller front for mine. I am wanting to make this bike into somewhat a sleeper bike. I plan on putting it into the low 10's in the 1/4. Most people see this bike and think that it is big and slow. Thats why I want to maek it quicker, to keep up with the bigger crotch rockets. I dont plan on putting much into it though. I want it to maintain its commuting purpose. I am buying a Busa in Jan. so i will then have the speed I desire. But i still want this one quick. Sorry for the long entry...Thanks for all the ideas.

9. WhiteKnight

United States
    Map
    I went with a Vortex sprocket set, I think it comes with a DID chain, from Sum of All Parts. I kept the stock size front sprocket (16 tooth) and went up from a 43 to a 45 tooth on the back. Doing this will make it a little faster in the get up and go dept and hopefully make it a little easier to raise the front end when I want to, but it will also mean an increase in overall enging rpm at road speed but it should still perform commuting duty with no troubles. I have no problems keeping up with, or catching, crotch rockets with the stock gearing.

10. VFR-Adam

VFR-Adam New Member

Map
    Sprockets, intake, exaust, powercommander, tires

With this combi you WILL wheelie, but I recommend getting a scott steering damper first. I went 2 up in back and 1 tooth down in front - huge difference. When I added StainTune pipes, K&N filter, and Power Commander it was a different bike.

I didn't buy it to be the fastest on the street, just respectable speed is fine. I was the most comfortable riding to MotoGP from Orange County, CA earlier in the month with my buddies on their R1's, Gixers, Etc.

Somday we will get a 1000cc VFR - Honda must add more power to match the FZ1's, Tuono's and K1200R's. My 2 cents.

VFR-Adam (2005 VFR800)
    http://www.theridestop.com

11. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    The 90 to 93 VFR will wheelie...as you can see
    http://vfrworld.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/1138/cat/530

This is what the Vortex sprockets look like on a clean 91VFR
    http://vfrworld.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/1136/cat/530

It does take a bit of effort and a little clutch to get er done but she will do it. How long you hold it up is entirely a factor of your skill at reaching the balance point (which is quite high) and maintaining it there. I grew up on big thumper dirt bikes that love to wheelie so I learned by doing and falling down, doing again etc, till I got it right. Still there is always a chance of loosing it and at 475lbs the VFR is a pig to manhandle if it gets outta shape.

Practice on smaller lighter equipment if you do not have the experience or the VFR will put you in the hospital!

The 98VFR is much lighter and will pull the front up much easier than the older models but not as easy as the CBR's or true race replica machines.

I like to wheelie the VFR and do it almost every ride at some point. Character flaw I guess. I should be slowing down now that I'm north of the big four ohhh.:confused:

Ride hard / Ride safe / stay within your limits/ Have fun!:biggrin:

12. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I think the most fun is to come over a small hill and use the lightening you already have and give it a little extra gogo juice and ride her that way. I don't ride it far at all though, and I'm pretty sure my right fork seal didn't like my last wheelie and I know my ass didn't when it slammed into the cowl. :cool:

13. WhiteKnight

United States
    Map
    I find coming over a rise the easiest w y to get teh front end off the ground. It helps that I am running 16/45 gearing. I can bounce it up in first and depending on ground speed, if I crank the throttle to red line and pop the clutch, I can pull it up in second. haven't been able to ride on more than a car length or two, but I really prefer the twisties to wheelies evne tho wheelies are fun, too.

14. freewheelburner

freewheelburner New Member

United States
    I was just playing with the wheelies this past weekend after a day of Superbike watching and was suprized at how easy it was to wheelie in first gear. I also did the wheelie off a knob at about 70 this was the first time I really tried to wheelie the VFR it was easy!

15. KrautBurner

KrautBurner New Member

I've had my VTEC up,
    but only on accident,

wasn't hard to do when VTEC hit in first/

16. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    We still talking wheelies here? speaking of, any one see superbikes last nigt IMO Lame!!

17. darepoman

darepoman New Member

I do first gear roll ons all the time. About 6k on the tack relax the throttle and then gas it and it comes right up. Couple of hundred feet at best so far but only been playing with it for a couple months now.

Make sure your bike is at normal temp before getting on it. huge difference and not good on the bike when it's cold.

18. Echo3Niner

Echo3Niner New Member

United States
    Map
    Wow, um, lame, every post here...

You wanna see how it's done? How about a 6 mile, standup wheelie?

One of the guy's I ride with in our local sportbike club: YouTube - 6 Mile Wheelie

19. Cundalini

Cundalini New Member

Map
    First and foremost ( sorry to threadjack ) CONGRATS REG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Secondly it looks like you have a 3rd gen.
    As far as I can tell, our bikes ( mine is 3rd gen ) will not power wheelie.
    I am new to sportbikes, and I am happy that I wont accidentaly wheelie.
    Also I am not good at spelling. LOL
    Here is a video of a third gen vfr doing what is called a clutch wheelie.

YouTube - Honda VFR 750F RC36 Wheelie Compilation Great Sound Clip

From what I have read, our third gen bikes have the engine moved slightly forward and a the HP is reduced. Making for a smoother ride ( we dont accidently get a very loose feeling front end under hard acceleration ).

If someone can correct me on this please do, but this is after reading about my bike ALOT in the last month.

My answer would be
    No power wheelie
    definate clutch wheelie
    wont ride a wheelie very long either way, bike is front heavy.
    also IMHO the gen 3 may be a little slow for some ( very fast for me ) but the prettiest VFR.
    ( putting on fire proof suit now cause im sure to get flamed for the last comment )

20. SLOVFR

SLOVFR Member

United States
    Map