It's Dead Jim! Carnage from Road Debris - Squeamish Beware

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Rocker1500, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Rocker1500

Rocker1500 New Member

United States
    So I was riding into work Tuesday (65 mile commute) and halfway there, on I-495 (Capital Beltway, Inner Loop, Northbound, in a construction zone) some debris came out of nowhere and ruined my beautiful bike.

Since the insurance (Geico) are being jerks about the whole thing, I need to buy a new engine and install it myself. Am I correct in assuming any 5th gen engine will work in any 5th gen bike? I have a 98, will an 01 work? How big of a PITA is the engine swap? Do I need any special tools or stands?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    Man, that must have been a shock! And dumping all your oil right in front of your rear tire, what fun.

Dunno about engine changes but I would think an '01 would fit okay. I'd be hitting Partzilla and checking part numbers and such. One heck of a project, but at least it's near the end of the riding season, in many places anyway.

Good luck, and post some pics of the progress.

3. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    No comprehensive insurance?

4. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    I'm just an old country doctor Spock but I would think that any 5th gen engine would fit just fine. That is one horrible mess of a crankcase. I am glad that no one has yet recommended you patch it was JBWeld.

5. Keager

Keager Member

United States
    Map
    If it was something from the construction company's equipment, they would also be liable. In laws business has insurance for just that sort of thing. Hard to prove, but....

6. Rocker1500

Rocker1500 New Member

United States
    I do have comprehensive insurance on this bike but Geico claims that it's collision. I think that's bull because I have no idea where it came from and definitely could not avoid it. Proving the construction/highway dept. liable is something I just thought of.

It happened where there was no shoulder. If I had tried to stop right away I probably would've been killed. So I kept the revs low and the old girl soldiered on another half-quarter mile to an off-ramp, where I was able to kill the engine and see the extent of how screwed I was.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  7. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Talk to your insurance commission. Do you have an idea or recollection of what it was that you hit? Is there any other damage on the bike from the incident. Are you speaking directly with a rep from Geico or some faceless person named Ed or Jane from Mumbai? Did you purchase your insurance direct or through a broker?

Your engine is toast. My guess is that if you find an engine that fits it will be from a wrecked bike. A new engine from Honda may be more than the whole bike is worth and much like the hypothetical assembly of a bike from parts in cost. There is a classic example on doing this with a Chevrolet. Not so classic is building a sort of Harley from one of the aftermarket catalogs.

Your fairing is also part of the deal. An OEM part is not going to match. Red paint fades.

You may want to add some searching around for a new insurer too. By the time you get done you will be the dude in the black hat and they (the insurer) will be the guys in the white headgear.

8. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    That's rough, the Hwy is full of crap around here too and potholes on side roads

9. Badbilly

United States
    SOW adds greatly to the crap on the roads in Maine.

10. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    Ya , I take a shit right in the pothole. Anything goes wrong-BB did it.

11. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Reg and Slovfr swap out the engine in couple days.
    Sorry for your mishalf good luck fixing her up. Glad you are ok :thumb:

12. Badbilly

United States

This lowers John Lennon's "Why don't we do it in the Road" to a hole new level.

13. diVeFR

diVeFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Man could you imagine if that piece would have hit you instead of the bike....Sucks that it happened at all. I used to live up there and your right....if you would have stopped you would have gotten ran over by those beltway maniacs. Good luck with the swap out, and really good luck trying to get anything from Geico.

14. BWeiss

BWeiss Johnny Partseed

United States
    Map
    While any motor 98-01 should (in theory) physically fit, in 2000 (so for the 00 and 01 motors) they added cat converters. I don't know how this will effect a motor swap since there may be additional sensors or plugs elsewhere on the motor that a 98-99 motor may not have. This also may effect the way the ecu runs the motor.

I have no idea if this is an issue or not, but something to think about. Anyone else know for sure?

15. marriedman

marriedman New Member

United States
    Map
    Damn! The only differences between 98 - 99 & 00 - 01 would be the exhaust and the ECU fuel injection. 00-01 has closed loop mode where as the 98 & 99 did not. Everything else should be the same. So if you are talking about just the block, you should be ok for a direct swap.

Oh, just make sure you don't get a California model engine. The cams are different on them and they are lacking in punch so I am told.

16. marriedman

marriedman New Member

United States
    Map
    lol, BWeiss and I are thinking along the same lines.

17. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Where are you? I have an extra 5th gen engine from a 98 that had about 50-60k on it when I swapped. It needs a heli-coil in one cylinder, though.

18. VIFFER RIDER

VIFFER RIDER New Member

United States
    Map
    Thats happened to me before on my 08 Suzuki GSXR...only difference is i lost my front brakes when this happened, and i didnt realize it until i was doing nearly 75 when i went to exit and realized my front brakes bottoms out and does not stop. I barely made the 20mph curve using only the rear brake. Needless to say i almost shat myself on the turn.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    No kidding. Those underwear would have to go to the recycle bin... Or to Long's house. He's into that sort of thing.

20. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I would suggest that most insurers would take the position that if you struck any object that was stationary on the road, it is a collision therefore comprehensive would not apply. So if you are hitting an exhaust pipe and muffler for instance, it obviously had just come off the car in front of you and was still bouncing around on the roadway when after gallant attempts to avoid hitting it, you struck it dead center while it was still bouncing.