"Ive got the black crud paw"

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by diVeFR, Mar 26, 2013.

1. diVeFR

diVeFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Need some help guys. Ill be going to the Austin Moto GP and I would like to represent the VFR as a great looking bike. (not that it isnt.) I guess from all the chain lube that I have been useing (PJ1 clear) and road grime the crap has stuck to my rear rim. Is there anything out there that will help take off this crap. Elbow grease and soap seems to have little effect. Also is there anything I can put on the rim to make future cleaning easier. TIA

photo 1.jpg photo 2.jpg

2. brdbluz

brdbluz New Member

United States
    Map
    Have you tried undiluted Simple Green? That works pretty well for me.

3. diVeFR

diVeFR New Member

United States
    Map
    No. Ive used Dawn dish soap (takes grease away) and the standard road grime car wash stuff but its never been really satifactorally cleaned. I dont want to pressure wash the bike or the wheels and there is a product called "bug be gone" but that crap doesnt seem to wash off easily and that stuff feels greasy. A guy I know recommended mineral spirits or even gasoline but I really dont think Im heading that route. ( this is the same guy who would give you advice on how to shave with a belt sander...and mean it)

4. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I swear by that Dupont Chain Cleaner. It really dissolves the grime really good. Once you have saturated the chain while running, you may need to work on that rear sprocket a but with a stiff brush. Then rinse with water from a hose or wipe off. If you put some cardboard or something underneath your bike while it is on the centre stand, then bike in 1st gear and the tire rolling at idle speed, spray that stuff on until the can is empty. Remember there are moving parts here so be careful. Use that red tube for the end of the nozzle.

WD40 works well the same way but no two people seem to agree on if you should use that stuff or not. The chain cleaner is formulated to use for this purpose. While you are getting that cleaner, pick up yourself some DuPont Chain Saver lube. It is really clean stuff and dried fast. Avcailable at Walmart in USA. Not Canada. I have to ride down there to get this stuff.

Sorry. Checked again and it appears you were talking about the wheel. Same thing. This stuff sprayed on a rag works on the rims too. So does WD40.

5. Maggot

Maggot New Member

United States
    Map
    I agree with Randy. DuPont Chain Saver and Chain Cleaner are the best. Chain Cleaner will evaporate pretty quickly but it will be best to rinse it off the wheel and tire.

6. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    a little bit of kerosene will take that off in no time. Or brake cleaner, the one with tetrachloride not the NON-CHLORINATED one. Or you could use your own nail polish remover.............................

7. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    All the above should work although nail polish remover could be expensive in more than one way - especially when she finds out...

Best bet is a large can of aerosol brake cleaner (only use outdoors!) - tetrachlorethyl versions are no longer sold in the EU but I guess may still be in USA - anyway its essentially a heavy duty de-greaser so both types should do the job.

Put bike on centre stand and remove rear wheel for best access. (Wear rubber gloves or your skin will be stained for days). With the wheel out the way you will see that gunk gets everywhere and seeks to really build up around the kick stand. Anyway spray a small section, step away from fumes and wait for it to penetrate the grime. Then wipe away with lint free cloth. Expect to go through heaps of cloth cleaning the mess. Even stubbon stuff does come off eventually. But really stuck on gunk may require careful application of a scraper or using an old toothbrush and elbow grease, with repeat applications of brake cleanser.

When you are done - probably best to lube the chain especially if it got any of the cleaning products on it.

8. CRFan1

CRFan1 New Member

United States
    Map
    WD-40 is the ticket....I have used it for YEARS and it Takes chain lube off so easy it amazes me every time I use it, lol! I use it at least once a week and have done so on all my bikes for over 20 years. Cheap, effective and you can get it anywhere. :)

9. Mohawk

Mohawk New Member

Which ever you use, be careful NOT to get it on the rear tyre. That's why I prefer parrafin/red diesel/kerosene use an old towel or thick cloth, pour on some agent & rub the wheel, it dissolves the crud very quickly & the thick cloth catches the crud. The spray types will end up on your tyres & then they will need cleaned after the crud cleaning is done ! Either way make sure your tyres are free from contamination before riding again !

10. CRFan1

CRFan1 New Member

United States
    Map
    Exactly....my method is to spray the WD40 on an old towel and than wipe the rim. Do not spray directly on the rim or it WILL get on the tire :)

11. rbednar

rbednar New Member

United States
    Map
    +1 to all the above - and have an old stiff brush handy to help get to those corners and work the grime loose

12. diVeFR

diVeFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks everyone.... I will work on the wheels this weekend and post pics.

13. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    Well it would appear that you have numerous suggestions on how to clean the wheel and remove the chain lube (personally, I use the same chain lube you do and I use a bit of WD40 sprayed on one of those terry cloth wax applicator sponges to apply the WD40 and it works great). Whenever I lube the chain, I spray the lube on and use a shop towel to wipe off the excess. If I do the chain lube at home I will put the bike on the center stand and run it in gear for a minute after wiping off the excess and let a bit of the chain lube fling off. Then I will shut her down and wipe any chain lube off the wheel. As for making it easier to clean next time, I like to apply a coat of some automotive wax to the rear rim every once in a while and that usually makes cleaning the rim a bit easier the next time (OK, I have OCD tendancies and I like to THINK it makes cleaning the wheels easier afterward).

14. DCS

DCS New Member

Map
    Whatever you choose to use, spray just enough on a rag and wipe the wheel.

If you spray the wheel, there is no way to keep overspray off the bead area.

Lots of the aforementioned chemicals would probably have some kind of unintended effect on the bead if they seeped into the wheel/tire crack.

15. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    WD40.....always use it.....wipe shit off the wipe resadue

16. diVeFR

diVeFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Wholly crap!!! WTF is WD 40 made of???? Broken dreams and small children's tears???? This stuff is amazing!!! So I took the challenge on to clean my rear wheel and rear sprocket. I listen to everyones advice on this forum and I want to give everyone a heart filled thanks for their advice. The bike looks outstanding! To preface this I just want everyone to know that yes I am a clean person and I do give the VFR a Great cleaning every chance I get. I just wasn't educated about WD 40 as a cleaning solvent. ( I have know of lots of "cleaning solvents" from brake and electrical cleaners to gas and turpentine. I am in a business that has frowned upon any use of a chemical hydrocarbon as a cleaner on any vessels that I have worked on offshore.)

I give the VFR a cleaning about once a week when I actively ride it..but my results have never been this apparent or as good.
    photo 1.JPG
    photo 2.JPG

OMG she looks great! Thanks again to everyones advice!

17. rbednar

rbednar New Member

United States
    Map
    Looks good! Those chlorinated solvents sure do come in handy for greasey dirt, etc. Just make sure you lube up your chain after you are done as the wd-40 will remove the "good" lube from your chain as well. The problem is that once you start cleaning, it's hard to stop! You will find places you never imagined dirt would get into, and feel compelled to clean those, too. Welcome indeed to the madness that is VFR ownership

18. Maggot

Maggot New Member

United States
    Map
    Quite frankly WD-40 is mostly Kerosene. Spray it on a piece of cardboard. Come back ten minutes later and you will see there isn't much left after the kerosene evaporates. That's why it is such a good cleaner. Not the best lube though.

Do this cardboard test with any lube or chain lube and the residue left will give you a good indication of the composition of the actual lube after the solvents have evaporated. This is also why you let chain lube soak in before you ride.

19. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    The ingredients in WD40 are a well kept secret. It is commonly thought to contain fish oil but I think that is largely a myth. It was designed to be a rust prevention and degreaser so this would explain its great effectiveness on what you are trying to do here. But according to "Live Science" WD40 does not contain kerosene either. But, for all I know with my limited chemical expertise, it could have a base made from my favorite single malt, and that right there, would be a crime against humanity.

20. Maggot

Maggot New Member

United States
    Map
    Fish Oil........... Are you thinking Rustoleum paint? Ever see any rusty fish? LOL