Jump Starter for bike

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Expvet, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Expvet

Expvet New Member

United States
    Map
    Would using something like this (picture attached) to jump start the bike be dangerous on a 6th gen? It is a 500 amp with 1000 amp peak jump starter. I know about the compact lithium ones but am looking for something that could also start my car (V6 Accord) and when needed supply some temporary power for a power tool via an inverter. Hear a lot of back and forth about too much power for a motorcycle battery.

Stanley.jpg

2. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    A jump pack is just a battery. IMO this would be no different than jump starting a bike with a car battery (CAR NOT RUNNING). I hate to say something I've done more than once without damaging a bike. The average car battery is around 500-550 cold cranking amps. That 500/1000a rating is probably very optimistic. That pack might be able to deliver the rating under certain conditions. I think it would be fine.

I'd be more concerned about a $100 jump pack being able to start your car if the battery was completely dead than damaging your bike.

3. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    I used one these crank the VF750 before starting it. One has to remember the provides a potential of 12.4 volts, the current delivered will depend the load applied. The CCA is the estimated maxload it can handle. Just sitting there the battery will measure aprox 12.4 volts dc, 0 amperes.