Just bought a 1st Gen project bike - Anybody else in Virginia?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Pops, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Pops

Pops New Member

Hi guys and gals. My name's Butch, I live in Stephenson, VA USA and I just bought my first Interceptor. Got it cheap since it hasn't been run in a while, so now I've got something to keep my mind and hands occupied over the cold Virginia winter. Hopefully, I'll have it in rideable shape by spring.
    I've had a number of bikes thru the years (most of 'em before marriage and kids) but now the boys are off to college so I've got time (and a little spare $$$) to get back on a bike! I'll probably be here frequently looking to get info and tips on care and feeding of my VF.
    I'll try to get some pics up soon, but believe me, it's not much to look at right now! Previous owner left it parked it out in the elements and it shows.

2. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    :worthless:

Make sure you get gud close-ups of all the corrosion and shit, cause we all get off on that stuff!!! (I think I can take the liberty of tawking for other pipples on this here site!)

3. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    If you bought into the VF universe of problems, you didn't school yourself here first.

They're all going cheap, for very good reasons.

:welcome: We'll all be happy to help, no matter what year your Honda.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  4. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Notice dah Squirrel sed, "VF Universe of Problems." not VFR...Total glass is half empty guy, I on the other hand have a way of seeing dah glass as half full...WTF am I tawking about??? Sawwy, No mis-alian-ramblings here buddy...Next Carb Cleaning 101 :tongue:

5. Twitchy at times

Twitchy at times New Member

Map
    Welcome aboard, man.
    Keep us posted of the progress using pics and narrative!
    I'm now a little pensive of riding my VFKR hard for fear that something will break and be irreplaceable!

6. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    I have some engine parts and a front fender in fair shape if needed but a pic is required.

7. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
  8. Pops

Pops New Member

Thanks for the welcome, and especially for the link, I'm sure it will come in handy shortly. I'll have pics up later today. In the meantime, just imagine a stock 83 750 that hasn't had a bath in over a year, that hasn't had a garage to sleep in, that's been tipped over on both sides, that's had various fluid leaks unattended to for quite a while....are you starting to get the picture? I know, you're probably thinking "Good grief, is this guy some sort of masochist that he'd buy this wreck?" Truth is, I bought it as a project to keep busy over the winter. If it's rideable come spring that'll be a bonus. My goal isn't to have a show quality restoration - just to have something clean and cool that I'm not embarrassed to ride, something I can tear into and enjoy the learning process. I get tremendous satisfaction from rescueing bikes that have been forgotten by their owners. My last two were like that - I rescued an 88 Hawk GT that was left parked outside unridden for over a year. Last bike was a 79 Yamaha triple that was left under a deck for a long time. In both cases I was able to clean them up, fix whatever was broken, ride them for a season and sell them for healthy profit. All along learning alot about what makes bikes tick. I have the time, patience and tools - what I don't have is a big budget!

9. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    NT650 was a nice bike, I owned one for a short time, wana forget it. If it only rode as good as my old EX500 I woulda kept it. :smile: Wrenching is fun huh.

Good luck on your voyage, its the trip not only the destination that counts.

10. hoganth

hoganth New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey Pops, welcome to the forum. I too have a 1983 vf750f project bike. Purchased a year ago and it has kept me occupied with repairs and the like. Also, keeps me from just sitting on the porch watching the grass grow. You will find a lot of help on this forum. If you need anything, parts, sources, help, etc. please ask.
    P.S.
    One thing you gotta have on this forum is "PICTURES". I will be posting a starter repair saga soon as I get my camera working properly to upload the pictures.

11. Pops

Pops New Member

Okay, but remember - you asked for it!
    Now, if I can figure out how to post pics here....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  12. pgcorky

pgcorky New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey Butch! Awful looking new ride! Just what you wanted! I know you don't want to start with cosmetics, but consider swapping the gray duct tape for red... :smile: In any case, I'm not too far away and would love to come have a look at your project once we get past the crazy season. My VFR is a little newer - 2003 - but gawd I love these bikes old and new (except for the brand new version).