Just got the carbs cleaned...wow!

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Army86VFR750, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Army86VFR750

Army86VFR750 New Member

Well, I had some time on vacation, and the local forcast called for days of rain, so I took my bike down to the local bike guru, and for 300.00, he took the bike apart, dissassembled the carbs, cleaned, reassembled, and synced. Man, they were dirty inside! Well, I figured since I wouldn't be home, and was already torn down, he might as well check the valve lash. And, since he had to remove the radiator, service the cooling too. Lash was good, but the cooling system had some mud in it, along with the cooling tank. This might explain the overheating the PO had in heavy traffic. I had him change the oil with Honda Pro, a new filter, and somenew NGKs. Cleaned the Uni filter, new fuel filter, new breather hose which had a split in it.

Total bill, 500.00. With almost 62,000 miles, she runs like a new bike again.

He did say, "keep an eye on your tire pressure, I checked them, and you had 25 in the front, and 10 in the rear. I put air in them for you" As we were talking, I looked down and saw a piece of metal in the rear tire....another 60.00 to remove and repair. I'll get to that next week...:mad:

Until then...it's raining it's ass off.

We went to the Toyo Tires Nationals NHRA qualifying today, got to see the half of the first round through alcohol funny cars, and it started raining. No luck 3 hours later, so we bailed.

2. xtravbx

xtravbx New Member

Sounds like a good time!

I need to clean my carbs out - I think I may try and tackle it on my own to save money. I'm gonna check the valves and put new plugs in then, too.