Just low-sided, seems like mostly fairing damage, but could use advice on next steps [PICS]

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by radicaledward, Jan 22, 2014.

1. radicaledward

radicaledward New Member

United States
    Hi all - I've owned my second gen VFR ('86 RC24) for about 6 months now, got it when it had 46,000 miles on it. It was in reasonable condition apart from some cosmetic stuff on the left side. Since then, I've ridden it daily, added at least another 4k miles, and sadly dropped it once when stationary (was still learning to do U -turns), once someone hit it in my parking lot at night ( i can only assume this since I found it on its side in the morning), but I had never dropped it while running. Well, sadly I low-sided a couple weeks back on a slippery road (it had just started to rain). It hurt like a #$%%, but thankfully it was probably at about 15-20 mph so I didn't break any bones, was wearing a helmet, and the damage to the bike seems mostly cosmetic - on left side (which is where it slid along the road for about 15-20 feet following the fall). I rode it back from the crash site to my house (only a couple hundred feet). Since then, I've inspected the damage, and ridden it around a little to see how it runs. I'd like to get it checked out by a mechanic but I'd like to have some idea of what sort of things could need fixing following this type of accident. I know its a general question, but here is what I can offer:

1. Engine seems to run great - I don't seem to be having any kind of issues accelerating, idling, etc. No crazy noises or anything - seems just like it was 6 months ago.
    2. Turning seems wobbly - I dont know if that's just me psychologically freaking out, but I don't feel as stable when turning
    3. I can't tell visually, but the handlebars seem very slightly off (when the bike is turned totally to the left, the horn button hits the fuel tank which it did not do before)

Also, before anyone yells at me for ruining a classic, etc - I don't plan on getting rid of this bike. It's my first bike and I've become obsessed with everything VFR related ever since I got it - I plan on saving up enough money to buying new fairings and getting it professionally restored within the next couple years - total rebuild level

Here are some pictures after the damage (Left side fairing screw tabs are totally done so I had to take it off)
    IMG_20140122_111430.jpg IMG_20140122_111435.jpg IMG_20140122_111452.jpg IMG_20140122_111508.jpg IMG_20140122_111517.jpg IMG_20140122_111531.jpg

2. ftl900

ftl900 New Member

Map
    If your horn button hits the tank, it sounds like you broke your turn stop off. Chances are your forks are a little tweaked as well.

3. radicaledward

radicaledward New Member

United States
  4. radicaledward

radicaledward New Member

United States
    Yeah - you were totally right. Here are pics

IMG_20140122_142126.jpg - missing steering stopper (looks like the metal itself has been snapped right off)
    IMG_20140122_142203.jpg - intact stopper - sort of hard to see from angle.

So it looks like the stopper is part of the frame - how can this be fixed? Does a piece of metal basically need to be welded on?