Just picked up a 1984 Honda Interceptor 700

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by SportriderBryan, Aug 22, 2006.

1. SportriderBryan

SportriderBryan New Member

2. jchag1718

jchag1718 New Member

Congrats Bryan and welcome aboard. You shouldn't experience any problems other that age related maintenance stuff. If the bike has low mileage and it wasn't hammered on too bad you should be okay. The only historical problem with the 1st gen V-4 was the top end oiling (not enough volume and pressure up to the cams). It didn't happen on all of 'em and it wasn't engines going kaboom. More like premature cam wear. If your bike survived like mine did, then it probably never developed the problem. To be on the safe side, let the bike warm-up good before you ride. You can check out The V-4 Pages here at http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/~rblander/moto_long.html alot of good info on the 1st gen V-4's. Enjoy the ride. Later.

3. CharlieT

CharlieT New Member

Map
    I've had my '84 VF700F for about 10yrs now. Fewer problems than many other bikes I've had. Always let her warm up, keep an eye on the oil levels and change freq.......other words, take care of it like any other bike. Other than the usual stuff like brake pads, tires, etc. Have never had to do a thing to mine....just ride it!

4. MontanaHigh

MontanaHigh New Member

When I bought my 85, the first thing I did was changed all the fluids, including fork oil. The one thing that I forgot about was the fuel filter. It's not too expensive and only takes about an hour to replace.