Keep the VFR or not

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Roytonlad, May 3, 2006.

1. Roytonlad

Roytonlad New Member

Helo from Vancouver Canada to all Viffers.
    This is probably not the most advantage way to endear myself to the VFR world however I need some balanced feedback on the following question:
    I have owned a 2004 VFR for close to two years but am considering trading it in for a 1200GS.
    Now I know that to say anything negative about a VFR is considered SACRALIGE, so I wont but I have just not enjoyed it as much as most other VFR owners seem to.
    So give me ten good reasons or less why I should keep the VFR :confused:
    I look forward for all constructive opinions :redface:

2. east_coaster

east_coaster New Member

Don't know much about the suzuki 1200 GS, and it's probably a great bike too, but i went with the 2005 VFR for a number of reasons....
    1. It's a honda
    2. It's very comfortable for the long haul
    3. That bitchin' single swingarm
    4. V-tech "whoosh"
    5. They are not a common bike (at least in my region)
    6. Did I mention it's a honda?
    7. All that plastic really does offer good weather protection unlike some of the other more "naked" bikes I've driven through crap weather

etc.etc.etc.--- but hey, I am biased. The 1200 might be more to your liking, and if they ever bumped up the displacement on the vfr I would trade up. Good Luck

3. Roytonlad

Roytonlad New Member

Sorry east coaster I should have been clearer: The 1200GS I am considering is the BMW 1200GS

4. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    I don't know about the GS. I just had an opporunity to spend a few hours riding a GS1150 in Frankfurt Germany and it was less than exciting after riding my VFR for so many years.

Depends on what type of riding you want to do, I suppose.

5. Nite

Nite New Member

Map
    It depends...

... on whether you prefer a Landrover above a sportscar. The 1200GS is a great bike, but it's still comparable to a tractor... oops, I mean a Landrover.:tongue: The Viffer is a fantastic blend of performance, handling and comfort. As such, it's different strokes for different folks.

Also, if you intend on riding the bike everyday to work, bear in mind that the GS is no ballerina. It's top-heavy and just slightly smaller than the Titanic. However, if you intend on roughing it on some dirt roads, the GS is great. Of course, it's way too heavy to take it properly off-road.

I had the same dilemma when I decided on my bike. The VFR just offered so much more bang for your buck if you want a true all-rounder.

6. Roytonlad

Roytonlad New Member

Thank you for your comments, quite helpful and balanced. However, without starting a back and forth debate on the merits of the GS I would like to add this.
    The GS is actually quite a bit lighter that the VFR and performance wise unless you are constently over the 7k rpm on the viffer, which means much greater fuel consumption, is equal to the VFR. Also from what I have read the GS is better than most sport bikes through the twisties.
    I did find after test riding the GS that it is way more comfortable for long distance touring (much more upright seating position) and in fact have found my VFR to be hard on my wrist after a couple of hours. I don know that a lot of people, especialy us "older" guise have to put risers on the viffer to make it more comfortable.
    I would not be having this dilema if Honda had done what most motor bike "experts" have been calling for for the past two years --- lighter, more cc's and more torque Honda! :mad:
    Keep the comments comming, thanks :smile:

Last edited: May 4, 2006
  7. rc74racer

rc74racer New Member

Sounds like what you really need is an FJR1300. It's a bit heavier then the GS and VFR but you'll ever feel it. It's like riding around on a lazy boy that does the 1/4mi in under 11 seconds. It's no doubt faster and has more torque then a VFR but handles every bit as well unless you really push it. It's by far the best upright sport tourer around. The only downside to it is some heat between the legs but i've heard the 06 model took care of some of that. You might also consider the st1300.

8. Roytonlad

Roytonlad New Member

RC51
    Both good suggestion but my bike before the VFR was a ST1300. Great bike on the highway but awful in and around town for me and no off road capablity att all. As I am not very big - 5' 9" in my boots and 150lbs, it was to heavy in town.
    I have considered the FJR and they have dealt with the excessive heat problem for 06 but once agian not realy well suited for around town. And the last few reviews of the FJR i have read have been less than glowing on the handling front.
    One other option would be the new Triumph Sprint ST, as it seems to trump the VFR in all areas. The trouble there is that in this part of the world Vancouver Canada they have very poor dealer representation.
    I guess like most of us we need (read want) at least 3 bkes.

9. terryboyle

terryboyle New Member

Canada
    What do you want to do with it

I just finished reading The Long Way Round about a round the world (almost) trip by Ewan Mcgregor and Charley Boorman on the GS. If it's adventure touring you plan on doing it's hard to imagine you could touch the GS with anything but a KTM. If you are looking for an all around "sensible" bike the VFR is the more likely candidate. You know the horse racing line "horses for courses"

What the heck, hang on to the VFR and buy a used GS and enjoy two of the finest bikes out there!

10. rc74racer

rc74racer New Member

The FJR is much better around town and in the handling department then you think. I rode by buddies 05 pretty hard and it handled everything I threw at it all with an upright position. The only issue I had with it was excessive heat and the fact it's an old man's bike! :biggrin:

The sprint ST is a bike I've been seriously considering as a second bike but right now it's just the RC51 for me having sold my VFR a few months back. I rode with a guy that had a new ST and I was impressed at the acceleration and handling I mean it was no RC but he was going at a pretty good click I sat on it too nice positioning for a sport tourer.

11. Roytonlad

Roytonlad New Member

Terry and RC51
    Thanks for your comments. It would be nice to be able to keep more than one bike, however if I could I have to think it would be the GS and an RC51! So it maybe good by to the VFR
    And by the way RC I am an old guy - 50 plus:eek:

12. maybm59

maybm59 New Member

Map
    If your looking to ride in the dirt pick up a dirt bike, unless your planning to cross the sahara.

13. brianereed

brianereed New Member

My buddy has an '06 gs, and I ride an '02 vfr. We have exchanged bikes for rides more than once. After we switch back, we are both still happy with what we own. For me it's about the power. The motors couldn't be more different. For him it's about the comfort. The gs is very comfortable. Hey, go ahead and trade, I bet you'll be back!

14. russhuber

russhuber New Member

I'm not going to comment on which bike is "better" or which you would rather ride. If you're going to ride far you might consider the dealer network. Reliable though they are, modern motorcycles die with electrical problems you can't fix by the roadside. In North America there are FAR more Honda dealers than BMW dealers. Both my oilheads (a '97 and a '98) needed a tow truck. Russ

15. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Good point Russ. My friend who has a BMR says he loves it until something breaks. Acc to him, they practically rape you at the dealership. Although, I have heard from other BMW owners that they are reliable. I can't imagine them being more reliable than my Honda...so far anyway. On another note, I see you're from Chesterfield. I just moved to Cali by way of Missouri. Born 150 miles down I55 from you in Sikeston. Lived in Columbia for 4 years also so I used to travel by your town going home to visit.

16. russhuber

russhuber New Member

I get to Sikeston, MO 2 or 3 times a year Preregrin. It's hard to beat Lambert's Cafe and 'Throwed Rolls'! I sure don't take I-55 to get there though! Russ