KEY WON'T WORK?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by John carnahan, Oct 15, 2018.

1. John carnahan

John carnahan New Member

United States
    Map
    Got insurance and tags this morning and ready to finally ride the new 91 VFR750. The Ign. key has been a little bit problematic but now it will not turn. At least 15 min. of wiggling and not quite bending to no avail.

Is there a way to obtain a new key? Maybe have one cut with same profile but slightly bigger? Can one be obtained from Honda?

Oh well,

Thanks,

Jack

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I've had this happen on my 5 Gen, I found that I had to move the key around a little and I was able to get it to move. It seemed to happen mostly when the steering lock was engaged but since I predominately use it on the track now m ore, I didn't usually lock it now. It still happens from time to time but I'm able to wiggle the key to get it to work. I also had a key made a while ago, I was able to obtain it from a local locksmith but have since "misplaced" it so I'm stuck with the original key.

3. John carnahan

John carnahan New Member

United States
    Map
    I've gotten it to work but very unreliable. Managed to get the switch off and found the key code.... "CXX" and the local Honda dealer can make another one. Switches are not available so I may have to buy a "good" one on Ebay.

Jack

4. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    If I remember correctly, bottom of switch comes off easily. Should be able to clean contacts an lube.

5. PhoenixOO10

PhoenixOO10 New Member

United States
    Map
    Make sure your key is not bent or twisted at all. My key was slightly twisted in mt pocket and wouldn't turn in the ignition. There is a little tool you can buy to clean out the keyhole. Good luck!

6. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Try rubbing a good quantity of pencil lead on your key. Or spray a little graphite in there and work it a bit with your key. Best lube for locks you will ever find. Then immediately go out and get a spare key. I carry a spare with me every time I go out on an over night tour. If I was ever to loose one, I would be getting a new one cut before I cracked a beer. Not when I got home.

7. John carnahan

John carnahan New Member

United States
    Map
    Good advice. When I called the dealer he also suggested graphite....didn't think about a pencil. Put some gun oil in the switch and it helped. Rode it to the dealer and he cut a new key that works perfect. I'll keep the old one for the spare.(should have got two but I didn't have another $13.50)

Thanks,

Jack

PS did I mention I really like the VFR:D

8. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    If the original was damaged at some point, I would not keep it as a spare. For 13 bucks, go get another key cut soon as you can. The pencil trick I uses so often I loose count. Especially on hinges and locks, both automobile and the house door lock. The nice thing about the pencil, it does not attract dirt and crud, because it is a dry lube. Basically it forms into miniscule graphite balls. The softer the pencil lead, the better. I use a construction pencil. It has quite soft graphite.

9. John carnahan

John carnahan New Member

United States
    Map
    Well emergency spare hanging in the key box at home. Yes I'll get another new key. Thanks,

Jack

34468 Randy likes this.
  10. Cycleman1

Cycleman1 New Member

Canada
    Often if the bike is kept outside, some WD40 down the key hole works wonders. Also don't push down on the key, just turn it.

11. Blackslide

Blackslide New Member

Finland
    Not to pee into your cereals, but I've found out (the hard way), that WD40 and the likes promote lock wear and/or dirt buildup in locks. Also "lock anti-freeze", etc. only remove lubrication from locks and replace it with dirt over time.

I've been using graphite in normal locks, gun oil in winter and in very bad situations, new engine oil. Those have worked a lot better.

If you keep bike outdoors, some cover on the bike is a must..

Riding on the storm