Kill switch repair

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by pope, Jan 13, 2013.

1. pope

pope New Member

bike: 1986 VFR700

So I finally tracked down what I think is the issue with my '86 700 not starting, the problem being a corroded kill switch.

except after taking it apart to clean, I seem to be missing a part. I have a feeling it is a little metal bit, but I have no way to tell since the service manual simply states "replace as a unit".

have any of you taken apart the kill switch before? maybe you can tell me what I am missing?

20130113_222821.jpg
    overview of the open switch. the clicker part, made up of a spring and a small ball bearing inserted into a groove within the red switch, works perfectly.
    20130113_222834.jpg
    spring that I damn near lost taking apart the switch. I didn't get a chance to see where it came from, but I think I know where.
    20130113_222852.jpg
    close up of the switch. I have a feeling the previously-mentioned spring is placed in the top indentation, and a metal plate is put on top of that.
    20130113_223040.jpg
    the freshly cleaned contacts.

There is a 20 dollar killswitch on ebay right now, but if I could know the dimensions/material of the missing part it would be much cheaper to replace it on my own. anyone have experience?

2. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    Later model switch gear is a straight replacement with no mods and you ditch the starter switch that is prone to failure as a bonus. Run a gen 5 on mine.

3. pope

pope New Member

Alright, I found a slightly cheaper gen 4 and it is on its way - hopefully this works.

thanks for the heads up!