Knocking Sound

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by CaptGarvin, Apr 23, 2018.

1. CaptGarvin

CaptGarvin New Member

United States
    Map
    2002 with 35k miles for months can hear a sporadic hollow knock sound at low speed, almost like something knocking on the fairing, regardless of engine rpm the knocking only speeds up as the bike does. Thought might be chain slapping, but I keep chain adjusted, and sounds more from engine. Rebuilt cam chain tensioners, even though my sound is nothing like what I hear on YouTube videos of that problem. No change. Ordering a Barrett carbon fiber clutch kit and wonder if any clutch parts could be making sound and what to look for ( other than some of my kids marbles I can’t find) Had since new and have factory service manual.
    Anyone with that experience? Have nice Tail of the Dragon by Drone video
    “Tail of the Dragon by Drone”

2. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I will put money on a CCT. Camchain tensioner. Although videos show you can rebuild them by turning the spring to a different point it's not a cure. Just replace with Honda standard item along with the gasket and forget about them for another 35,000m.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  3. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Agreed, except. Don't worry about it for another 170,000 km like I have.

4. CaptGarvin

CaptGarvin New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks, i feel they are still suspect also except for the sound and frequency, it doesnt accelerate with the engine, only the speed of the bike. Installing clutch anyway and then go back with new cct’s if still knocks, what a horrible repair job the first time around, but would have no other bike

5. vVertigo

vVertigo New Member

United States
    Found the problem, replaced tires, rotors and pads 8 months ago and thought the chain had less miles than it turns out, that and the chain slider was eat up and fell off. The hollow sporadic knock sound at low speed was chain slapping the hollow swing arm. Operator/Mechanic error, have to pull swing arm just to get slider on!?

Lint likes this.