Laguna Seca - World SuperBike Races

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by BumbleBee99, Mar 23, 2014.

1. BumbleBee99

BumbleBee99 New Member

Canada
    Map
    Hello everyone,

So I've already bought my tickets for the World Super Bike races being held at Laguna Seca in July. It will be a great road trip from Victoria BC along the coast of Washington, Oregon and California. I plan to catch some sights going there and back. I'll be staying near the raceway for 4 nights. Does anyone have suggestions for hotels there which are decent, safe and yet still affordable? Also, anyone know from experience if I should get reservations?
    Any suggestions on sights that I must see? Redwoods, Crater Lake, St. Helens are some that I already plan to see.

Thanks o/

2. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    North of Montery there are reasonable motels. Montery proper and South of Monterey the hotels and motels are great but pricy.

Consider networking to split a room with another race goer. Even Randy who is fairly clean. Not to worry too much about hookin up with harledoods, they have phobias about "other" bikes. ;)

Do some homework on joining the Honda Riders Club. Last I looked, all sorts of bennies including bike parking, gear storage, free drinking water, road service ect.

The track is big.. I cannot understand sitting or standing or squatting at one corner for the races. If your riding boots are not made for hoofing it, bring some walking shoes to the track.

Crater Lake is inland some as is Mt. St. Helens. For sheer inspiration, of the three, the Redwoods stand out.

Be well prepared for hot weather

By July along the coast the weather is good for camping. Again homework using the net is good.

Study older maps of the area as opposed to the ad-maps on the net. Try to pick out the old routes before the freeways were built or street that were the old routes through small towns. Some of the smaller burgs have good motels and even hotels at prices half of the one's a block or two off the main drag.

3. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    well, since you'll be there. head south out of monterey a bit and cruise down Rt 1 along the coast line of Big Sur. puts the OR coastline to shame.

4. Badbilly

United States
    Are you suggesting he should skip the views in Coos Bay?

5. Cafox

Cafox New Member

I know you are looking forward to coming to the races, but they are not the top guys. Moto GP said they are not going back to Leguna because the track is old and needs a facelift, and the track is owned by the county instead of a private owner so they are not putting money into it to keep it up to date. I met someone that owns a motorcycle dealership. She said they are mad because they were sending the GSXR's to the races. I will go to the races here in my area of Socal instead of making the trip far up north.
    It will still be a nice trip for you, hope you enjoy.

6. Badbilly

United States

7. BumbleBee99

BumbleBee99 New Member

Canada
    Map
    I've had many people point out to me that there will be no Moto GP but I'm more interested in the Super Bikes. I doubt that I will camp during the trip, I'll just stay in motels/hotels so that I can ride and not worry about finding a place in time to set up a camp. I'm definitely changing out of my gear at the races including the foot wear. As for the hot weather, I hope it's warm :) After spending 7 months in Africa near the equator in 2012 now I find the winters here so cold !!

As for the route, I bought the TomTom app for my iPhone and it has an option for "maximum winding roads" which gives some nice twisty routes :playful:

Does anyone have experience with hotels during the race event? Will they get booked up so should I make a reservation?

Thanks for the comments.

8. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Although it may get "warm" but being close to the ocean sometimes brings in the off shore fog and can be a little chilly in the mornings and evenings. As far as reservations, I have heard from several people that for the MotoGP events, the prices for hotel rooms sky rocketed and it also being during summer time it is likely prices will be higher anyway. I would call around and check pricing or via the Internet and for sure make a reservation. Better safe than sorry, most places have cancellation policies so be sure to get that info just in case your plans change.

Cheers

9. Badbilly

United States
    The closer to the track and Montery the higher the cost and the greater the booking numbers. WSB is a big draw with lots of repeat attendees. Ask for commercial rates wherever you end up. Getting a reservation confirmed reservation now may get you a better rate. This may be a language difference. You will find more motels than hotels in that part of the country. You may find the Honda Riders Club to be of assistance. HRC has/had a staffed storage van and Honda parking near one of the entrance gates.

Can't say aboot the weather for sure. I can almost guarantee no snow. ;)

The track is on the property that was Fort Ord. One side of the story is that the bunch of old Spanish farts wanted even more money after the folks at LS brought the track up to MOTO-GP standards. Between racing and the Olympics it seems like Francisco Franco has relative still in positions of power.

For "fast" check out the one to five lap track records for all vehicles.

10. BWeiss

BWeiss Johnny Partseed

United States
    Map
    The Monterey area is a second home to me, and I've worked and/or spectated MotoGP for the last 7ish years. The mornings are almost always cold and foggy, about low to mid 50s with a solid marine layer overhead if you're in Monterey, but at the track, you're IN that marine layer. That layer starts breaking up anywhere between 9 and 11 am, usually, and the temps skyrocket. The low to mid 50's damp morning, can and does turn into low to mid 90s on occasion, but usually mid to high 80s.

I haven't done the SBK event, but MotoGP traffic is a fucked off nightmare on a bike, and I'm sure on 4 wheels it would give satan nightmares. Definitely ride to and from the event if you can. Again with MotoGP at least, only bikes are allowed at the track, except for some expensive cager tickers, and anyone who drives to the race needs to park at CSUMB and be shuttled in.

I've done plenty of events at Laguna Seca, and practically grew up down there, so if you want anymore info, I'll definitely help you out.

11. BWeiss

BWeiss Johnny Partseed

United States
    Map
    Just read your note about changing out of riding gear at the track. At MotoGP near all the motorbike parking lots, they have free gear check tents put on by the local VA chapter I think. Plan on using that (they're great people and I've never had an issue) and tip them well. It's a good way to know you're gear is being watched over and don't have to lock it to your bike or lug it around.

12. BumbleBee99

BumbleBee99 New Member

Canada
    Map
    :triumphant: I have my hotel booked in Salinas which had some better rates than in Monterey.

13. Badbilly

United States
    Great that other groups have that service. I used Honda because I was a member of the HRC. Another bennie was that Honda had free water in their display area.

The marine layer is much in effect along the entire coast of CA. Aside from the channel islands, there ain't much to stop it.

14. BWeiss

BWeiss Johnny Partseed

United States
    Map
    The channel islands and Santa Cruz. Santa Cruz seems to be immune to the marine layer. Many a times i've driven from 50's in Monterey, to 90's in Santa Cruze, back to the same ole 50's in Monterey, just to find out the layer never lifted.

15. Badbilly

United States
    Salinas is a good bet for lower rates. likely there will be other rides at that same motel/hotel. Just a tip. Do not leave anything on your bike that is easily removed.

What is being said about nightmare exit traffic is true. The track is on the property of an old US Army fort. Entrances and exits are limited.

Read up on the legality of lane splitting and try to find a map of the local area including the exit point from the property.

Don't miss out on the deep fried artichokes either..

16. Badbilly

United States
    Same deal here in Ogeron.. A couple of miles inland in Summer it will be 80 or so and on the coast, socked in with fog and wind and 60.

Born and raised in SoCal. Born on Catalina. Try there for the marine layer in February.. Did some training stuff on San Clemente. Biz stuff in Ventura and school stuff in Santa Barbara.

The geography plays a large part in the climatological effects. Lot of mini banana belts even as far North as Canada.

Right now it's pissing down rain here..

17. BumbleBee99

BumbleBee99 New Member

Canada
    Map
    Unfortunately it appears that there is no Canadian version of the Honda Riders Club. :frown:

18. BumbleBee99

BumbleBee99 New Member

Canada
    Map
    When I purchased my tickets I got a grandstand seat at turn 11, paddock pass and motorcycle parking for all three days. That parking would be at the racetrack grounds would it not? Is the parking there secure?

19. Badbilly

United States
    The racetrack grounds are the old Fort Ord training base. My guess is that you will be moving aboot to see the races from different wiewpoints. Some of the grandstand seats are not as good as advertised when the view is blocked by fence hangers..

Not a clue about "other" parking. The better question would be is this parking you paid for not only secure but is gear storage available. Race venues draw all kinds of folks some even dress in in leathers after driving cars and trucks to the meet and shows..

HRC membership was a suggestion. Since your use would be US based if needed, a query to the main HRC website or an Email might better answer your question. My guess is that there is no discrimination against Canadians except maybe Randy and the McKenzie Brothers and possibly William Shatner if he sings.

20. BWeiss

BWeiss Johnny Partseed

United States
    Map
    It's giant lots at the track at several different turns and surrounded by fellow bikers. Its about as secure as any shopping mall lot, except everyone there loves bikes and haven't heard of a problem with anyone's bike getting messed with. Bikers seem to have each others backs at the track. I don't know about any gear checks near the track side parking, but I've never parked there so didn't really care to look, but I'm sure they're there.