Laid 5th gen down at 130 μm/hr

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by ndemarco, Jun 28, 2024 at 4:32 AM.

1. ndemarco

ndemarco New Member

United States
    I just dropped my 5th gen in the driveway. After 20 years of riding 5th gen VFRs, my luck ran out. This is my 2nd 5th gen VFR. The first was a 1998, and I rode that for thousands of miles before I found this mint 2001 with 3,000 miles for an absolute steal! It had a so-and-so exhaust + a Power Commander. I transferred both to the '98 and sold it. After the sale, I had extra money in my pocket.

Getting back to today, my son and I were going for a short ride to get lunch. He's got a minty '82 Honda 450, and we were swapping bikes for the ride. I started the viffer and backed it out of the garage for him. I didn't push the kickstand far enough out beyond its midpoint. I had turned away from the running bike when I heard a crrruuuunnnch sound.

My son immediately tried to pick it up, and I shouted NO! At this point, there was no reason to be hasty, I explained. We both got a good purchase on some strong bits, and we lifted her back on her wheels. The damage turned out to be unbelievably minimal - the only way it would have been better would have been a fall in the grass. We collected the glass bits from the driveway, and headed off to have a great lunch.

The damage was surprisingly minimal. My left mirror glass shattered. The mirror housing is scratched up, but ok. Otherwise, anything that sticks out has a few scratches, and the shift lever is bent in a bit - nothing too serious.

My VFR is/was in mint condition. I only have 14,000 miles on it and it runs like I pilfered it from the showroom last night. I've owned other bikes before and with this model, and none has come close as an all-rounder. The silky smooth power delivery, the sewing machine sound, the riding position, the lack of vibration - all are amazing. This one did come with a Seargent seat, so I can say the OEM seat must have been designed by a eunuch. Ouch.

I've been a longtime lurker here. If anyone has a good left side OEM mirror for a 99-2001, I'd be pleased to make a purchase. This mirror doesn't have the rubbery condom covering the stalk.

I'm having trouble uploading pics, so that'll be a later edit.

bmart likes this.
  2. ndemarco

ndemarco New Member

United States
    Photos - it could have been a lot worse.

Attached Files:

Rodin likes this.
  3. One Ida 31

One Ida 31 Insider

United States
    Visalia in the People's Republic of Kalifornia
    Map
  4. Rodin

Rodin New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Glad it was a minimal one. Hope it stays as your only one for many years to come.