Leathers vs jeans and T's...you decide.

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by reg71, Mar 17, 2012.

1. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    So my wife was roaming around on facebook as is the thing nowadays and she told me of an interesting post. She said a friend of a friend posting something about riding somewhere in Colorado recently. Coincedentally enough one of the places she mentioned going, my wife and I had been a few years ago. But, I digress. The point of this message is irony.

Here's a screencap of post #1 that my wife noted:
    [​IMG]
    Now I should point out that I do not know this person, but I assume that if you post something on facebook you don't mind people seeing it. That's part of that agreement when you click yes on facebook anyway is that you give up rights to your photos. The message she typed about losing the leathers was what made my skin crawl being a rider myself.

Any guesses as to what's coming? Note the date above...

Post #2:
    [​IMG]

Ouch. Well, it looks like the weather got better. Now this is one of those things that's funny, but not in the haha kind of way. Son of a bitch that looks like it hurts. No matter how many times you see it happen or hear people tell you sometimes you have to learn the hard way.

[​IMG]
    Well, this just makes me want to put on my leathers all the time thank you very much. Hopefully at least one new rider will read this and start wearing gear. If just one person gets to avoid this because of her pain, then at least that's something.

Poor gal. I hope she does alright, and I hope she spreads the word that wearing the proper gear is a must on a bike. Damn.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  2. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    that is irony

first batch of 70's we've seen all season and bikes are EVERYWHERE. No rain yet and roads are dirty, fair weather riders are rusty, etc.

3. ZEN biker

ZEN biker New Member

ATGATT! its just that simple, I feel sorry for her that she had to experience an accident, but I do hope she joins the cause and preaches from the ATGATT bible.

4. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I bet if you get her on a bike again that she wears a full face helmet

5. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    ATGATT and full face helmet. Same goes for my daughter when she starts riding with me. Some say "you dress for the crash, not the ride".

I agree with that in the most positive of ways and ALWAYS enjoy my time in the saddle.

Jose

6. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    I hope the girl is OK. I'd never wish that upon anyone.

When I was a kid in my late teens and early 20's, I didn't believe in gear. Laid down the 'GPz 750 once, but wasn't bad. After my 10+ year hiatus, then picking up the VFR, I started with just the helmet, jacket, gloves thing. Didn't take long hanging around here to see the importance of gear. Now its ATGATT. I don't even ride down to the local convenience store 2 miles away without all of it.

7. stoops

stoops New Member

United States
    If you don't want leathers, armored textile works great, and will keep you cooler than you think

8. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Anyone give any thought to the fact that she is in ICU, all fucked up, wearing a cervical collar, and by her own admissions has not yet had her neck cleared, yet she is posting somehow, probably texting on her cell phone. Was someone doing that when she crashed. Or was she trying to do that while riding. Put the phone away and get better so you can get back on the bike and ride.....keerist

9. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    She will never ride again is my bet, best time of her life lost on poor choice of gear. Seen it over and over again.

10. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    That's a damn shame.

Full face helmet for the win. I have always worn a FF helmet, but it didn't hit me how wise this is until I went through the MSF course with my wife a year ago. The instructor told us of a guy that lost his his jaw during an accident on the freeway. He face planted and it was ground completely off.

11. JTC

JTC New Member

United States
    Map
  12. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
  13. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    OMG..................That is scary:faint2:

14. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I'm not going to look at that link. I have seen much the same in person I am sure.

I agree with all the above who said she probably won't ride. She will probably join with her "I told you so-ers" in the motorcycle riding is dangerous and you are just lucky you aren't dead mantras they want to shout at all of us.

I get so sick of the non-believers. There is a large population of motorcycle riders who believe in enjoying the sport responsibly, but we just don't yell as loud as the ones who crash and burn due to their own negligence then start preaching the gospel of the evil motorcycle.

15. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    As an ICU nurse I am sure you did seen them all.

16. Apittslife

Apittslife New Member

Map
    In another post I wrote about my face plant, so I won't go over it again. :tongue:
    I won't say I will never ride without one, but I sure hope I will always wear one!
    I concur, she will most-likely never ride again, unless she has friends & family that ride, & pretty much make her get back in the saddle.

Paul

17. pacemaker

pacemaker New Member

Map
    Ouch!
    I've got that much bike gear, spent a small fortune on it. Summer/Winter/Wet & Friggin Cold. I see a lot of bike riders (to many) & now heaps of scooter riders, wearing street clothes & helmet (only because its mandatory). No gloves & bugger all for foot wear. Makes me angry for a lot of reasons, it's so easy to get road gear that still looks good & quite literally can save your arse. But I guess a lot of riders wouldn't want to be caught dead in it.

18. Metallican525

Metallican525 New Member

Map
    Yeah, allthough "ditchin the leathers" definately wouldn't have been in her best interest, investing in a good full face helmet probably would have had her limping away pissed off instead of in ICU. I'll look like a power ranger all day thank you very fucking much, have fun in ICU with you skin graft poster child ways.

I, in no way shape or form, wish any bad on her or any other rider that chooses not to wear proper gear. Please pass along well wishes to her, and make sure you give her some ATGATT therapy too!! Don't let her quit and start running her mouth about how "dangerous them damn motorcikles are". I feel that we as riders, motorcyclists, bikers(ack), etc have a responsibility to correct people that it ain't as dangerous as some would make it out to be. Proper gear, proper training, and not riding like a jackass can prevent most accidents.

19. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Damn what a shame, hate to see this crap when it can be avoided. what a lesson, bet she doesn't ride again and if so, bet she' won't have trouble putting on the right gear, Just gives me the willies when I see those with out a helmet or a half shell people? Gezzz,

Every time I see this stuff it brings me back to a moment in time in just how lucky I was and just how close it could have gone really bad.

[​IMG]

20. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    Sad.