Lessening the crouch for distance riding

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by G1200RS, Jun 16, 2016.

1. G1200RS

G1200RS New Member

United States
    About to buy a new Gen8 DLX, have test-ridden one, and am thinking about mods. I am 5'-8" tall with a 29-inch inseam.

I'll ride it with the seat in the low position, and want to do lowered pegs. I also want to raise the bars. I know of the aftermarket parts that do both. Knight Design for the pegs, and Moto Pumps for the risers.

The Givi +3 screen seems like the one, but I don't know how it will improve the wind protection as compared to the Puig.

All in all, do these three things, low pegs, high bars, and taller screen make sense for the long-distance rider? I rode an ST1100 for a long time, which had me in a position I found very comfortable, and am now on a BMW R1200GS, which is like sitting full upright, arms wide.

2. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

Awesome! Congrats WHEN it happens. ;)

Sounds like you are on the right track for potential changes. Though I've made no mods to any of my motos including my 06 Viffer...well, I had to shave the seat down so I could at least tippie toe the moto.

I've ridden a couple huge trips with the last one just shy of 7,000 miles on the Viffer. I was completely comfortable. I'm 5'3" with 28" inseam.

The only mod I am doing after the recent trip is a new windscreen: MRA Vario.
    The stock screen has the wind cutting up my neck. Bugs fly in my helmet via the chin area and my friend couldn't hear me through the itercom.

Maybe hold off on some of those mods. Give yourself some adequate riding time to assess your comfort on the moto.

3. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    I like the idea of hopping on the way it is and give it a go, VFRs are unique in there own way and it could be you need to get use to it vs. change what it does. I get the personal bits. but give it a go you might just like it. if not, have you looked at the CTX 1300, an updated version of the ST1300. Honda did a major make over, and have to say they did good on this one.

4. ALAN553

ALAN553 New Member

United States
    Map
    Just did the 1.25 " risers, and actually felt better with seat in higher position.. not as much flexion in the knees and hips, yea the wind is certainly stronger than on the ST...but that bike weighed almost 700 lbs...trade offs...

5. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    I installed Knight Designed pegs, which makes the riding position much more comfortable. Also added the smaller bar risers from member "Motopumps" (less expensive than Honda, same thing)
    [​IMG]
    Pegs will require re-adjustments to rear brake and shifter levers.

6. G1200RS

G1200RS New Member

United States
    One rider commented on the Knight pegs, saying he wish he had gotten the rubber-topped ones.

7. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    I have not had any problems, love them. They were the only ones available at the time when the bike was new, there maybe other manufactures now.

8. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    I agree completely with this reply or, just get a Goldwing. A stock VFR is a GREAT motorcycle. IMHO, when people start modifying one, it's mostly all downhill. You're buying the wrong bike.

9. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Just because I am a few years older than you and my knees don't bend like they used doesn't mean I am going to buy a fucking goldwing.

Mike Rennie likes this.
  10. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    You don't know how old I am, you know nothing about my knees, and Goldwings are great motorcycles. Having a bad day? Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2016
  11. ALAN553

ALAN553 New Member

United States
    Map

Dam straight

12. G1200RS

G1200RS New Member

United States
    I test-rode a new one this week, taking it onto the interstate for speed, then on some back roads for some turns. On the slabs I took it up to close to 100 mph indicated to see how it felt, and all was fine.

I am OK with the low sportbike jockey crouch, but would use the bike to take occasional long road trips, like linked 500-mile days of mostly interstates at speed limit plus six. When I do that, I stop for a good stretch, hydrate, and 15 minute walkaround every 100 miles or so.

IMHO, the long distance comfort of the bike would be enhanced, for me, with a little less crouch and a little more wind-screening off my upper body. Thus the interest in a bar boost of maybe 5/8", a peg drop, and something more in the way of a windscreen.

Oh, and I'm 72 next month. Took test rides on VFRs every year I rode my ST, from 96 up until moving to CO, where I thought I needed something for the unpaved stuff that I was thinking might be exciting. Have been kind of regretting the R1200GS ever since I got it. It's just not me.

When up in RMNP last week on the 12,000 ft Trail Ridge Road, we ran into a group of riders all in their middle and upper 70s, all on sportbikes, one being a yellow VFR with matching Corbin beetle bags. That is what did it for me. Gonna get the VFR I have always wanted.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  13. A.M

I completely agree with the windscreen needing to be enhanced.
    Excess wind on the body creates more fatigue and noise, even with ear plugs.

I had the chance to ride Jeff's moto for quite a distance, and there was marked difference in the wind hitting at me. I had less noise, no wind in my neck, no bugs flying up into my helmet.

When he was on my moto it was a relief for him though because he liked the airflow on his chest. The days had been hot and humid.

I suppose it depends on what you want at the time. But overall, for long distance, I feel a quality windscreen is a investment that would not be regretted.

I can easily do 800 miles a day. Consecutive days. Usually it's more around 400-600 miles a day. This last trip was the first long one since I've had this moto and I will not go on another huge trip without a new windscreen.

Other than that, the moto is golden for me.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

14. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    I doubt you are older than 72, and the Gold wing is great bike, but it has definite purpose, not anywhere near the VFR. There is a multitude of members here that have made all kinds of mods, I don't think using a set of pegs that make small adjustment in riding position is going downhill.

15. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Yup, I've had a few different windscreens now.

The two best combinations I've had were:

- MRA Vario Touring
    - Givi Touring w/ MRA X-Creen (the larger version)

While the Givi combo gave the most overall protection, it was too hot even with the deflector down. The MRA Vario is a good compromise. Don't expect it to cut all wind noise and wind completely. What it does is simply slow the airflow behind the screen, it does not eliminate it.

As Anne Marie pointed out, it would have been even more punishing riding down #85 in North Dakota with out it. The wind beat the living shit out of me on that godless straight flat stretch of road.

Riding AM's bike was a treat on that really hot muggy day - I really needed the extra airflow across my chest, so it worked out well that I could ride it while diagnosing her electrical issues. :)

16. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    I plan on having my 2014 when I'm 72 and I hope Honda is still making VFR's just like the ones they make now. I would like to see better tire technology. They still have a ways to go. On any kind of forum, bike or car, it's obvious that people mod their vehicles. It's just the way it is. I mod mine everytime I plant my butt on the seat......

17. ALAN553

ALAN553 New Member

United States
    Map
    I am 63 and get it!! If it doesn't fit....than I will make it fit...Honda can't get it perfect for everyone.

18. NormK

NormK New Member

Holy snappin duck eggs Anne Marie 5'3" you are one little pocket rocket, how do your feet reach the ground, one big top heavy machine for you to push around

19. A.M

The feet really don't. Lol

I shaved the seat and cut out inseam wasting foam. That put my toes to the ground and my crotch closer to the tank.

I have to be careful where and how I park the moto, especially if I'm by myself. Even when I'm with a group, I may park separately so I don't get myself in a pickle.

If I park in a gravel or sandy area, I have to dig out an area of traction with my toes before I dismount the moto. That way when I remount there is less chance of slipping.

I ride with my legs hanging down at the side a lot since I don't have to worry about my feet scraping the pavement. Great way to relax my feet and legs on long rides.

I have to consciously extend my feet to touch.

I go slow and steady when maneuvering the moto. I don't rush myself. I may look ridiculous at times, but I stay upright for the most part.

Only one drop so far.

I'm a little spitfire of a gal with an unstoppable spirit. I'm strong physically and mentally.

That Viffer won't beat me.

If he tries, I'll keep riding that ornery boy harder and teach him a lesson.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Mike Rennie likes this.
  20. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    LOL ... it was an "experience" riding your bike with your seat on it. I felt like a circus bear on a tricycle.

I had to laugh reading this and thinking about the couple of times where I played 'tug boat' by helping you back the bike up a few times when we had to park on inclines. Good memories. :)

... and you already ride the piss out of that bike just fine. I've got video to prove it!

I'll try and get some video uploaded one of these days, but my upload rate sucks on rural wireless internet. :(