Lighting issues 1986 VFR 700F

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Chad Royer, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Chad Royer

Chad Royer New Member

United States
    Hello,
    I recently bought the bike I always wanted when I was a kid but couldn't afford. The 86 VFR. It is in pretty decent shape and after having the carbs cleaned out it runs like a champ. However, I am having an issue where the rear running light, spedo, tach and license plate lights do not work. I have checked all the fuses and they are fine. I know the rear running light does work because when you put the key in the ignition and lock the forks the running light comes on. I can click it one more time to the left after that and it goes off and still locks the forks. Also, the rear brake light doesn't not come on when I use the front brake. Has anyone run into a similar issue like that? I am thinking its a bad ignition switch but am not that mechanically inclined. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. chuntera

chuntera New Member

United States
    Map
    Sounds like a loose wire connector or a bare wire is contacting the frame when turning forks.
    Electrical problems require patience and troubleshooting.
    To help track down problem circuit, you can try pulling fuses one at a time to see if the remaining lights come on.

3. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Unplug the ignition and jump the red and red/black wires on the harness side, essentially "hot-wiring" the bike, and eliminating the ignition as a possible problem for testing.

4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    touch the 2 front brake light switch wires together to test the bulb and switch. for other lights you need to check connections and be certain the bulbs aren't blown.

try switching fuses around. you might need to inspect the bottom of the fuse assembly for loose or overheated connections. for the license plate light inspect connections/plugs in the tail section.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  5. Chad Royer

Chad Royer New Member

United States
    Thank you for the suggestions. Those are things I wouldn't have thought of. I'll run through them and update if I get it working. Thank you!!!