Long Lasting Tires?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by im944, Oct 10, 2006.

1. im944

im944 New Member

Map
    Alright guys, it is time for a new rear tire. I thought I was going to make it til winter, but 5000 miles in 3 months really wears tires. I have Metzelers on it now and I think they feel great when I am in the twisties, but they only have 5000 and the rear is toast. Front isn't much better. Are they softer than other tires or is 5000 really all I can expect from any motorcycle tire on a VFR. I am sure the VFR's extra weight doesn't help any. Let me know you guy's opinion. I ride a lot of highway miles and wouldn't mind giving up a little bit of performance for a little harder tire.

Thanks

2. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight Well-Known Member

United States
    Map
    Hey im944. Obviously everyone has their personal preference as well as experience with many brands of tires. Some will suggest the Pilot Road or Pilot Power's mad by Michelin. I personally have no experience with the PP's, but I do have teh new Dunlop Qualifiers (they replace the D208 in the line up). I put the rear on first and it has some where around 4000 miles on it and looks near new. The front was put on nearly a month ago and I do not know the mileage off the top of my head, probably somewhere between 1000 and 2000 miles. I will look when I get home. So far these tires have been great. The rear has onloy slipped once and it was like 46 degrees out and I was going like 10 mph turning from one street to another. I do not feel it was the tire not holding, just me having the bike layed over too far.

3. SLOav8r

SLOav8r New Member

Got the Pilot Road's on mine. Coming on 3000 miles and they're just now showing some ware. Been doing mostly highway miles, but they do me just fine in the twisties.

Being that it's California and I live on the coast, I haven't tried them out on wet roads. Not that I've been avoiding rain, but it just hasn't happened.

4. jev.

jev. over there

United States
    I had avon st's on my 99 and when my dunlops wear out on my 06 I'll be replacing them with avons as well. When I sold my 99, I had @6000 miles on my avons and had used up @50% of the tread. The compound is a little harder,but they handled better than the softer compound dunlops that were on it before, and they lasted alot longer.

5. im944

im944 New Member

Map
    Yeah, I was kind of leaning towards the Michelins. I run Michelins on my cars because there is no comparison in quality to other brands. I speak from experience as I worked in a tire shop for a couple of summers. Never did bike tires though. Thanks for the info.
    So the Dunlops are a softer tire that provide great grip but don't last as long?

6. WVFR

WVFR New Member

The stock Bridgestone 020s on my '06 have held up very well. 5000 miles and more wear on the sides then in the middle. I'll easily get 10,000+ miles out of these and I have not treated them nicely. Tires are not Pilot Power good in the twisties but seem to be decent. The trouble with these tires is that they wear too slowly - the wife won't let me replace them till they are worn out...

7. Kevin_70

Kevin_70 New Member

I've got the same Bridgstone 020s on my '06 and have been pleasantly surprised. Like was stated, I'm betting at least 10k out of them based on wear so far.

8. canib

canib New Member

Map
    Are those the Bridgestone Batlax's you're talking about? I have those on my '06 and my rear end slides all over the place. Do Pilot Powers stick better?

9. malcster

malcster New Member

Map
    I'm on pilot powers and there the stickiest I've been on.I hear they are soft and wear quicker than others but mine are holding up fine,I love to stick,and willing to replace them more often for the perfomance they offer

10. Kevin_70

Kevin_70 New Member

Yeah, I believe they are. From what I've read, Pilot Powers are a much softer compound = much stickier. My next set will either be those or the Conti Attacks based on the reviews I've read here, but I'm not all that concerned with longevity.

11. NYMBYSS

NYMBYSS New Member

United States
    conti road attacks are a great choice,or sport attacks they both are great choices for new rubber with great wear,excellent traction from both with neutral steering from the tires themselves,a great bargain indeed!!!!!

12. tbones86

tbones86 New Member

Map
    I run Bridgestone Battlax's on my 86' I was impressed with the handling of the tires so I've stuck with them. But I'm not happy with how quickly my new rear is wearing, I ride mainly straight boring highway miles commuting. I've put about 4000 miles on since July when the tire was put on & its below 50% in the middle. But I've come to conclude that speed equals tire wear as I frequently run over 130 on about a 10 mile hilly stretch through a county forest area because there are not side roads for johny law to sit on.:biggrin:

13. tater

tater New Member

Map
    Here's a new on me: Talking to the local Honda guy, the reason VFR's (all things being equal) burn thru tires quicker is because of the pulsations of the V-4 engine transmits thru the chassis to the tires. Twins & inline 4's (all things...) are more gentle pounding on tire wear. I bought into this phenomenon - has anyone heard of same? (I wonder what BMW boxers do or Triumph triples?)

PS: How can there be such a tremendous difference on tire wear (besides manufacturers compounds and models, riding styles). I'm reading anywhere from 2,500 to 10,000. I'm checking air pressure (36 psi) before every ride and no matter what brand - I can't get over 3,500 miles. I'm 63, average skills. Thoughts/comments???

Gonna get some Dunlop 220's next - 25% on sale/ longer wear (we'll see).

Switching to my non-perforated riding jacket in western Colorado now.

14. im944

im944 New Member

Map
    Just ordered a 180/55/17 Michelin Pilot Power. It's going on, on Monday. I will give you an update on what I think about it. I am sure I am going to be surprised with the improved handling no matter what tire because my Metzeler Z6 was pretty squared off. I figure my Metzeler was a pretty well performing tire and I didn't want to give up the performance. I figured I will try the best and if they wear extremely quickly and I am not super impressed than I may try the Michelin Roads or Dunlop 220's, or maybe the Conti's you guys have been talking about. Oh, I paid $150 for the tire. They originally quoted me $180 and I told them that was too much and they came down to $150. Told me they retailed for $205, which after checking some prices I don't believe.
    I am not sure I believe the vibration through the frame thing, although I think it may contribute a little bit, but I think the main issue is the extra weight of a VFR when most sportbike tires are designed for a 400 lb. bike.
    Weight + Speed = Tire Wear

15. jev.

jev. over there

United States

16. malcster

malcster New Member

Map
    Sounds like people talk to too many honda salesmen.How does an I4 not wear tires quicker than a vfr?Makes no sense!What's he trying to sell you?Mileage and performance,feel it for yourself,what's it all about?what is the compromise?If you can feel it get stickey,if not go for mileage and save a penny.I get 3-4000miles off a rear tire,always wonder if I should be changing front at the same time,to match rubber,my front lasts around 6000.Buy it and try it,it's all fun.10,000 miles?1 tire?You must ride teflon roads.VFRs Rule!I4's?I'm not a teenager anymore,also I like to ride more than 1 hour.This site rocks!THANK'S MICHAEL!

17. Hopsterman

Hopsterman New Member

Australia
    Map
    Pulsations do wear tyres

Pulsations do wear tyres

But we are talking big thumper low revving torquey single cylinders. (dirt bikes).

I would think it wouldnt affect a v4 at all .

18. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

I can't comment on how long they last since I only have 850 miles on them but I can give an enthusiastic recommendation to the Continental Road Attack. I flogged them unmerciful on the Dragon, Cherohala, BRPW, etc... and they impressed me on every turn. As a side bonus, I can't park my bike for 5 minutes without people asking about what kind of tires I have. Good looks are not something one would associate with motorcycle tires but the Road Attack are cool looking to say the least. I will go so far as to say the Road Attack should be the OEM for the VFR, they're that good.

I can also say that a long lasting tire is not always a good thing. I got 6500 miles out of Dunlop D204k's & until I mounted the Road Attack's, I never knew just how good my bike handles. The D204 are just plain lousy. I wouldn't put them on a riding lawn mower.

KC-10 FE out...

19. Hopsterman

Hopsterman New Member

Australia
    Map
    When tyres get worn

They all handle awfull when they get worn, you notice a big difference with a new set, so isnt it funny how whan you get a new set, they seem to be muchbetter than the old set.

However, by the sound of things, I cant wait till me dunlop 204s wear out.

20. Hopsterman

Hopsterman New Member

Australia
    Map
    Engine braking wears tyres

Perhaps its the engine braking?