Looking for VF500 Levers?

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Krakensnackz, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Krakensnackz

Krakensnackz New Member

Map
    Hey guys - as well all know, there's not much in the way of aftermarket for our bikes. However... with some cross-referencing (and ignoring the Ebay seller, who said they did not make a lever that fit), I bit the bullet and picked up a set of the adjustable levers from the2wheels on Ebay.

Yes, they are knock-off Pazzo levers. They are also $33 shipped. And as far as I can tell, they're structurally sound. They look good.... they feel good... they work well... and for someone on a budget, like myself, you can't beat the price.

Here are the ones I purchased:
    the2wheels Adjustable Brake Clutch CNC Lever for Honda VF750S SABRE 1982 - 1986 | eBay

Yep - the ones for the V45 (750) 82-86 Sabre. I got the gold with black adjusters. Little bit of gold just feels retro-ish with the RWB (like the gold wings on the tank). I have my setting at 4 for brake, and 6 for clutch. My hands are a little on the larger side, so I have to have the clutch side adjusted all the way out so I can engage without hitting my fingers. Preferably, I'd like to have it engage sooner... but this is definitely an upgrade over stock. I like the way the shorties look, and considering that I habitually shift/brake with two fingers, they work great.

Here are some pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Up next... some Universal 37mm clip-ons....

2. Metallican525

Metallican525 New Member

Map
    You have no idea how happy you just made me, I didnt't think ANYONE made adjustable levers for the 500, I'm soooooo getting a set of those!! I was gonna get a set for my 800 until I scored the Pazzos. You da MAN!!!!

3. KinG^KaoZ

KinG^KaoZ New Member

4. Metallican525

Metallican525 New Member

Map
    I do very much appreciate the tip and the concern for our saftey, I really do. I belive what the feller on the GSXR forum is talking about does not apply to this particular brake lever, allthough it will make a difference in the clutch lever. He was talking about a plunger and bushing binding and causing braking lockup/failure. These do not have a pushrod and bushing system on the brake side only the clutch. I am also aware of the fact that "billet" is a procedure of manufacturing a part, not the materiel the part is made of. Allthough I can see how some people may not know the difference. While I am definately a student of the "get what cha pay for" school, I do personally know people who have cheap ass levers that work great.

All this being said, when I get them and install them on the bike, I allways grab them in several different spots with both hands, hell pliers if I can do it without marring the finish or the bar, and make a concious effort to make the brake hoses explode. I'm fairly certain that if I can't break the lever when trying to , it is unlikely it will come apart on me while riding and using only one hand at a time on said lever.

5. KinG^KaoZ

KinG^KaoZ New Member

Just make sure they retract fully :) I doubt those levers are made with a cnc milling machine though. I am looking for new cheap levers myself, but im not sure what kind of master cylinders I got. (the bike is made up by all sorts of parts).

6. Krakensnackz

Krakensnackz New Member

Map
    Mine seem to be machined to tolerances similar to those of the OEM levers. Upon reading the Gixxer threads, I also think that in our case, the lever assembly and how it works, is different for the brake side.

That said, just a heads-up - the front brake, with the different leverage applied with the new lever, is touchier.

I can one-finger (woo baby) the front brake now, full-stop - easily.

7. Metallican525

Metallican525 New Member

Map
    Hell yeah! Sounds goooooooooood too me!!!

8. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    there's another thread on these running around for the 800.

many have bought them, including myself, and everyone who chimed in is very pleased.

One riding season almost complete with no complaints so far.

[​IMG]

9. jeremyr62

jeremyr62 New Member

Ireland
    Map
    Yes, my experience also. I have genuine Pazzos and CRGs for two of my bikes and Ebay ones for the VF. Very hard to see the difference in quality in all three sets. I suppose this is just a consequence of the globalisation of manufacturing.

10. krazyderek

krazyderek New Member

Did you just put "V45 (750) 82-86 Sabre" in the note on which bike it was for, or something else? How far "in" towards the grip can you bring them compared to stock?

11. Krakensnackz

Krakensnackz New Member

Map
    Yeah, they have a little picture at the bottom to explain the format they want the note in. You just input a sabre in there (think i jut said 84 sabre v750 or whatever) in the format they request.

The lever action is essentially the same, I can bring both all the way to the handle if I adjust them to do so. I actually wish that they were set up to adjust a little further 'out', because even on 6, the clutch lever almost comes to my knuckles (I two-finger clutch), and any closer and I'd be squishing them every shift. Damn the un-adjustable hydro clutch....

12. Scott S

Scott S New Member

Canada
    Map
    I can't find these levers listed now. I need one that has the adjustable screw at the plunger.

I used a set of aftermarket master cylinders on my '85 VF500F and they actually work great. The issue I'm having is with the brake lever. There's a lot of slop or play between the lever/plunger and lever/switch. Because of that, the plunger doesn't push the lever out enough to close the switch, causing the brake light to stay on.
    I've tried adjusting the switch position, and even added a bit of adhesive backed foam between the lever and switch. I have great feel and great brakes, it's just the interaction between the lever and switch that's causing problems.
    If I could get a brake lever that has the adjustable screw so I could take up some of the distance between the lever and plunger, I feel that would fix the problem.
    I've been quoted $150 to fully restore the stock master (bead blast, powder coat, new sight glass, rebuild kit, etc.). But if I can find a nice set of adjustable levers, I wouldn't have a problem. Ideas?