Lots of questions, new tyre choice, quieter screen, worthwhile brake upgrade - advice please.

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by J800VFR, Dec 15, 2016.

1. J800VFR

J800VFR New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Hi,

I'm about to spend a bit of hard earned cash on my VFFR800 FiX (2000).

The bikes in good condition, only done just over 30,000 miles.

I already have some worthwhile upgrades fitted, including:

Ohlins monoshock
    Maxton re-valved forks
    Carbon fibre hugger
    LED lights
    Harris adjustable rearsets
    Handlbar risers
    Hinged levers
    Remus Stainless steel exhaust & muffler
    Scott Oiler

QUESTION 1 - Tyre choice:

Currently I'm running Bridgestone BT023 Sports/Touring which are OK but getting a bit worn after 6,000 miles, especially the rear.

A lot of my riding is motorway, but prefer bendy roads and am also planning to do more touring in 2017, so want the best tyre offering a balance of good grip, dry and wet weather, and good wear rate longevity.

What are you all using?
    How good is the grip in both dry & wet?
    How has it affected the handling (good and bad)?
    What mileage are you getting, especially the rear?

QUESTION 2 - Screen choice:

I have a double bubble screen, but it creates a lot of wind noise and turbulence, even with good earplugs.
    What's a good screen to reduce noise?
    Should I return it to original or is there a better aftermarket product?

QUESTION 3 - Dem's der brakes :) :

I'd like to sharpen up the brakes and there are several options I'm considering.

Option 1
    New pads - Whats the best pads for normal / fast road riding (not track days) which bite well in wet & dry and won't fade or grind down the disc rotors too quickly?

Option 2
    New pads and also new braided brake hoses (such s Goodrich).
    The existing hoses are the originals so almost 17 years old, so new lines would probably be worthwhile.
    What hose kits are out there which are good quality, designed for this model of bike and sensibly priced (and available in the UK)?

Option 3
    All the above but radically changing the entire braking system, by removing the Honda/Nissin calipers, disabling the DCBS and fitting alternative calipers from another sports bike (but with matching mounting bracket points).

Obviously this will require a new set of appropriate hoses to match; however this raises the following questions:

1. Has anyone already done this successfully?
    2. Was the change worthwhile?
    3. What alternative calipers were used (from what bike, make model & year?)
    4. Was the original VFR rear brake caliper retained or also replaced (after the DCBS is closed off)?

Any and all helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

Other options I'm considering are the fitting of either the DynoJet Power Commander or the Rapid Bike kit with optional Lambda Sensor