lubing an o-ring chain.

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by TheUnnamed11, May 6, 2010.

1. TheUnnamed11

TheUnnamed11 Banned

The package for my new o-ring chain says it should be lubed every 150 - 300 miles

anything special i should know about this? special o-ring safe lube?

2. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

Any bike parts counter will have any number of adequate products. If that's not to your liking, go to any ACE Hardware & buy DuPont Teflon Multi-Use spray lubricant. Just make sure it says "O-Ring Safe" on the can. It's $4 a can & will last about 6 months if used once a week.

DuPont Teflon Chain Saver - DuPont Teflon Chain Lube - webBikeWorld

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane: :usa2:

3. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I just grab a can at the bike shop. I really have no preference and change brands nearly every time I buy. Right now, I am using a can of white lithium grease that said it would work on o-ring chain and it was cheap... It doesn't seem to fling any more than any of the others I have tried...

4. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    That's what I'm using now. Got tired of all the grease from other chain grease products. Big plus is it doesn't attract dirt and junk from the road. It's actually self cleaning.

5. park800

park800 New Member

Map
    I'm a fan of the Motul products. Their chain cleaner is o-ring safe and cuts through the crap so fast and requires no effort.

6. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Whatever you decide, here's my thoughts:

Lube the chain when its warm - i.e. after a ride.
    Lube it after it gets wet (rain or washing the bike).

I've also noticed a big difference in the amount that slings off if I give it adequate time to set, i.e. after a ride, lube it, and let it sit overnight.

7. ddpemberton

ddpemberton New Member

Just got my first VFR. How do I tell if what I have on it is an o-ring chain or not? It's a 2001 with 10k and probably the original chain.

8. paul.miner

paul.miner New Member

Wherever two plates contact each other, there should be an o-ring between them. When I changed my horribly worn chain/sprockets on my Katana last year (partially due to misalignment), I took some close-up pictures in which you can clearly see where the o-rings are. They are pretty badly damaged though, and some of the o-rings are even missing: Sprockets and chain, September 2009

9. RedDukeRider

RedDukeRider New Member

Dupont is actually making an chain specific version of their Teflon spray now. The stuff you are referring to comes in a blue can. The chain specific stuff comes in a yellow can. They are probably one and the same product - just different packaging.

I'm in the process of installing new chain and sprockets on my 6th Gen now. First thing I did with the new DID chain is thoroughly clean it with kerosene. Last night I placed the clean chain in a throw away aluminum baking pan and thoroughly sprayed it with the Dupont Teflon spray from the yellow can. Let it sit overnight and then clean off the excess with a dry rag.

I'm convinced that lube that is so sticky it holds dirt and grit particles to a chain is a big factor in them wearing out sooner. Ever notice that earthmoving equipment runs their chains and rollers dry? If they were greased up they would hold dirt and wear out even quicker.

The Dupont Teflon spray claims it is a dry lubricant and doesn't attract dirt and grit. A lot of boards have people raving about the stuff.

10. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

You are correct, the two products are exactly the same. Buy whatever one is cheaper. As long as it say "O-Ring Safe", you're golden.

KC-10 FE out...

11. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Hmm, you have piqued my interest. Where would one find this teflon spray? Is this a walmart thing, a home depot thing, a kragen's kind of thing, or a bed bath and beyond cooking spray section thing?

12. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

ACE Hardware is the place to get this stuff the cheapest. I use the stuff on everything from my bike chain to my garage door rollers.

KC-10 FE out...

13. TheUnnamed11

TheUnnamed11 Banned

funny you mention the garage rollers. i was thinking of mine as i was reading your post. dumb thing locks up when it gets cold. iv no idea how to fix it. ima give this stuff a try.

14. CBR600F4i

CBR600F4i New Member

You might want to read this: webBikeWorld

I've been using ProGold MFR chain lube. About $8 a can. It's probably really close to the Dupont stuff you guys are talking about, I'll try that next time I need some since it's cheaper and probably easier to find. I have a 1/2 mile dusty stone driveway, so the greasy or tacky lubes don't work, they just collect dust and cause wear.

15. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    Reg I bought the Dupont stuff at Lowes for just under $5. I was deciding between the Dupont and the MFR. Once I found out the price and local availability of MFR I went Dupont. This stuff reminds me of a Honda chain lube I used at one point that never attracted dirt. That chain lasted about 17k miles. It would have gone more but the bike sat and the chain (Tsubaki) rusted cause I didn't lube it prior to setting.
    The next chain (RK) I used Suzuki chain lube grease. It attracted everything but hot women. It only lasted about 11k. The dirt killed it. Chewed up the O-rings. The Dupont stuff doesn't attract dirt so far,400 miles. My new chain I went back to Tsubaki. I'm shooting for 20k this time.

16. dizzy

dizzy New Member

Map
    Exactly right. I might add I throw on a set of latex gloves, grab an old grease rag, hold it over the chain and turn the wheel by hand to wipe off the excess.

17. 2lane

2lane New Member

18. hoss8640

hoss8640 New Member

United States
    Map
    I checked ACE Hardware yesterday and they had nothing. They had not even heard of the Dupont spray. So going to check the other stores Lowes, Menards, etc....

19. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    Lowe's has it. The original formula, the blue can, is also the same product as this bicycle lube. Finish Line Teflon-Plus Dry Lubricant - 8-oz. Aerosol at REI.com

[​IMG]

20. hoss8640

hoss8640 New Member

United States
    Map
    Nice thanks for the info!!