Luggage Rack for 2nd Gen. (With Pics!)

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by zPix87, May 6, 2012.

1. zPix87

zPix87 New Member

So I needed a final project for my metals class, and I've always wanted a small luggage rack on the back of my bike. I wanted a rack that I could strap a small bag to, one that wouldn't look too unnatural on the bike, and I wanted it to be removable. Using a lathe and a CNC Plasma cutter, here's what I came up with!

I started by turning some steel pieces on the lathe that would fit into the sub frame on the back.
    IMG_0373.jpg

Next, I took some measurements and drew up the sides of the rack on Auto CAD. After a few test pieces of paper, I took the file to our department's CNC Plasma cutter and cut them out.
    IMG_0390.jpg

I originally wanted to make the sides bolt on to the inserts (removability) but after drilling the holes, I realized that welding them on would be better. I'd add my removability to the top plate somehow.
    IMG_0393.jpg

I drew the top plate up in addition to two smaller pieces that would weld to the top plate. The two small pieces will bolt to the sides of the rack, which makes the whole assembly removable like I wanted.

I cut the top and the small plates out, cleaned them up, and drilled all of the holes that were needed to make the bolts hold everything together. I bolted the small plates to the side, and clamped everything up so I could tack the small plates where I needed them to be. This part was difficult as the subframe wasn't really square and even with the tail plastic, so I had to eyeball it to get it close.
    IMG_0428.jpg

After it was tacked up, I unbolted everything and had the plates welded to the top plate. I sandblasted everything (I plan to have it powdercoated) and bolted the finished product to my bike.
    IMG_0431.jpg
    IMG_0432.jpg

I'm more of a woods guy (going to school here to be a wood shop teacher) so I'm pretty pleased with how this project turned out. The rack won't hold much, but it was a fun project!

2. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    nicely done... keep that design in your head.... If it holds up you might be onto something three easy payments of 39.95 and it is all yours.....

3. Apittslife

Apittslife New Member

Map
    :thumbsup:
    Looks nice!

4. FoothillRyder

FoothillRyder New Member

I would consider buying one ....

Just sayin' :cool: