Maintenance, Do it now, or do it after 400+ mile trip

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Ironhydroxide, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Ironhydroxide

Ironhydroxide New Member

United States
    Map
    So, Just got my 86 up and going, It sat for 7 or so years in a garage, i've gone through the carbs, epoxied the fuel tank, new tires, full fluids changed. checked brakes. etc.

well, i've been riding it for the last couple weeks (total of 1200 miles) and i've noticed that the valve ticking has been getting a bit worse, and the clutch is at the VERY end of the lever travel, if I quick and hard shift it the clutch slips for a bit, then grabs. It hasn't been wanting to start while cold, i'm thinking the emulsion tubes are backwards (front to back).

So, now on to the question. I've got 3 days to get the full maintenance done before the trip (400+ miles). I've already got the new frictions, new clutch springs, case gasket, thermostat, oil. Do I just jump in and do the clutch, the valve adjustment, and dissasemble the carbs again (hoping to find something), hoping that I can get it done and I don't mess anything up before the trip? or do I wait till after the trip to do it all, as it's been quite reliable sans cold starting, for the last 1200 miles?

and any links to any of the following would be greatly appreciated:
    Valve adjustment
    Carb dissasembly/reasembly (propper way to do it)
    Clutch Replacement

2. Metallican525

Metallican525 New Member

Map
    You don't really wanna get stranded do ya?!?!?!? Do the clutch and valve adjustment now. If she starts and runs ok then leave the carbs for later since it's only a cold start issue as you say. My opinoin, YMMV

3. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I wouldn't even think of doing a 400 mile trip on a bike that has sat for that long without a full service. If for no other reason, peace of mind. When I have taken long trips on mine, I have a qualified mechanic go over the bike first. I still broke down in Vegas a year ago. And mine was ridden 100 miles at least, every day until I retired. What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. So did my stator.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank the fine people in Wisconsin for supplying me with a brand new stator within a couple days. OEM was back ordered for God knows how long.

4. Ironhydroxide

Ironhydroxide New Member

United States
    Map
    well, i tore her down this morning after work... Didn't take as long as I thought it would.

Thanks for the input.

5. Ironhydroxide

Ironhydroxide New Member

United States
    Map

Well, she's all back together

Replaced the Clutch, new Clutch springs, adjusted the valves, pulled the carbs, cleaned the carbs (emulsion tubes were correct),Gapped my Plugs, Cleaned my chain, lubed my chain, tensioned my chain, tire pressure checked (that's once a week anyways, but whatever)

MUCH smoother now, she seems to start easier (i'm hoping, i have yet to be able to try from dead cold), revs quicker, and the clutch actually feels like a clutch now. i'm quite happy with this.

6. Metallican525

Metallican525 New Member

Map
    Damn skippy!! Good job Hydro!

7. thekelzer

thekelzer New Member

United States
    Map
    "Should I put the condom on now or after I have sex with the hooker?" Too funny..... OF COURSE DO THE MAINTENANCE!!!!!!!!!