Make a change

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by jcm, Jan 26, 2003.

1. jcm

jcm New Member

When I look at the number of people who read forum comments (lots)compared to the number of people who reply(very few) it makes me wonder. I know most of the people who enter this site must have a fair amount of motorccyle and VFR knowledge, but they don't seem to be sharing it. Admitedly, this is a pretty new site and many people are reading and posting for the first time. I'd like to see the General forum broken down into subjects, like riding wear, helmets, exhaust, riding technique, mechanical problems, etc. I think you might stimulate more discussion. I think you could also raise an interesting topic like they do on the Motorcycle Online (MO) site. Lastly, I hope you keep the language filter turned off. I think it's offensive and really unnecessary on this kind of site. Do I need to have the word "cockpit" shanged to "thingy pit", or "full of shit" changed to "full of nuts"? Otherwise I think the other 98% of this site is great and I hope it keeps growing.

2. michael

michael Guest

good idea. i will definitely break it down asap. thanks for the suggestion!

michael

3. Tourmeister

Tourmeister New Member

Howdy,

Doh!  :-/

I wish I had read this before you made the changes. One of the things I really liked about this site is that it DOES NOT have so many freaking categories. In concept, it sounds good because people can just go read the stuff the want to know about without having to wade through all the other stuff. However, often times I stumble across a thread that I was not even thinking of reading about and then find it really interesting. But when you have so many categories, it takes a lot of time to go through the whole site to make sure you aren't missing something.

I will admit that previously, you had very few categories and could stand to have a few more. But too many can also be a bad thing.  Maybe there could be fewer?

General discussion
    Off topic non-bike stuff (political, gun control, etc,...)
    Modifications
    Maintenance
    Trip Reports
    Photo Gallery

You get the idea. I'd really like one forum section for all the year models rather than breaking it down by generations. Even though I am not an evil VTEC rider, I still like to hear about what they are doing with their bikes.

I am on about five or six different VFR forums and I really do like this one the best. It just seems to feel right. The others just seem so busy and messy. This one has a nice clean uncluttered look and feel to it.

If you get a chance, check out the HondaVFRclub.com forum. They have an incredible selection of smileys! Some are hilarious. But they have a buttload of forum categories, hehe.

Anyway, I don't mean to sound negative. I really do like your forum. You have done an excellent job.

Oh yeah, regardless of whether you make anymore changes to the number of forums, it would be handy to have a feature that lets you list all the new posts since your last visit. That way you won't have to spend the time running through all the different categories to find the new stuff.

Adios,

4. jcm

jcm New Member

I made the original post that suggested creating categories. I don't know if that had any impact on Michael's change to more cats but I have to agree with Tourmeister's last post. There are too many categories to wade through. I have to say I prefer the way it was. I could easily go to an interesting thread and read the updates. I also agree with him that this is the most user friendly and interesting site. Let's keep it that way. Also, one aspect of other sites I like is that people use their real names. I think this promotes a friendlier and more respectful dialogue - but keep tha GD language filter off. Jeff McQueen

5. spencerl

spencerl New Member

Hey Michael,

I have been looking at this site almost everyday, love it and learn lots from it.

Hover, I tend to agree with Tourmeister and JCM, I think there are too many categories now.

Maybe we can consolidate a few categories by years or generations, instead of topics and years. That you can look at generation 1998-2001 and see whatever was written in that category (body/mechanical, etc)

The separations for items for sale, etc is good left separated.

Just a suggestion.

Thanks,
    Spencer

6. Jake

Jake New Member

:DRe: Make a change

Ditto. WAAAAAY too many categories now. I hate having to click on eight different subjects to find the eight or nine new posts each day.

As the board matures, it may be necessary to add a few more categories, but I'm with Scott in that the thing I liked best about this board was the small number of categories.
    Splitting the board into this many categories this soon will slow its growth and (IMHO) may stifle this board before it has a chance to really take off.

I definitely support the abolition of the language filters though! :D

My $.02USD,
    Jake Harsha

7. Greatbrit

Greatbrit New Member

check out the HondaVFRclub.com forum. They have an incredible selection of smileys! Some are hilarious. But they have a buttload of forum categories, hehe.
    Bet you spent all your time on the iffy pictures thread nudge nudge ;D The trouble with this site is every thing is so organised scared i'll post in the wrong section or sub section.

8. CAMBIS

CAMBIS New Member

here are six very good responses to "too many catagories" 2 1/2 years later? how about the total of all catagories and sub-fit on one page and all threads having a last post of six months be removed. not current not interesting! be the safest on the street and fastest in your dreams!