Making The Vfr More "touring"

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by bensmizzale, Aug 8, 2013.

1. bensmizzale

bensmizzale New Member

So I am picking up a "new to me" 1999 VFR 800 this weekend and it has had some modifications to make it more touring. I would like to make it as touring as possible. I know some of the things that can be done, but I would like to have a full list of ideas from the community if you all are on board.

I'll start off:
    I know risers can be VERY helpful, but how high and which kind is yet to be determined it seems?

Lowering of the pegs is a little bit of a more complicated procedure (due to the kickstand), but does that make a large difference?

Thank you for welcoming/accepting me to the community here and I hope to give and get support throughout my long life with my VFR

2. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    Here is what I have done to my Y2K to make it more touring and less punishing. The PO installed HeliBars and they are wonderful. I installed a Sargent seat (an Ebay find) after I did too many miles on the stock item. Another great purchase. Lowered the foot pegs with Buell pegs. My knees appreciate this greatly. I have a Cortech tank bag for general riding stuff and a monster set of Chaise Harper soft saddle bags that carry everything I want to carry. I haven't bothered replacing the stock windscreen. I am over 6 feet tall. Nothing I put on there is going to keep the wind off my head. I added a fused, two pole, connection for battery charger that also doubles as a USB charger port while on the road.

That's it.

3. bensmizzale

bensmizzale New Member

Wow! Thank you for the many different ideas!

The pegs may be my next project. I am only 5'7" so I'm not sure if it will be necessary.

I greatly appreciate the specifics (buel pegs, Sargent seat).

Anyone else's thoughts on these mods or others? Any drawbacks or other opinions?

4. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I have a taller windscreen that I switch to occasionally when touring. I think the double bubble I used to have was a better mix between wind block and looks. The Givi touring screen is just kind of weird looking. On the plus side for you, I could be talked out of it for not too many $$.

I ride a Sargent seat. I have tried a Corbin also. I did a review on stock v sargent v corbin a while back. Check it for my opinion.

As far as bags, I have run RK soft luggage on a 3000 mile trip worked fine, but then on another trip down in Baja Mexico I was wishing I had locking bags. I ended up buying locking bags and so now I have full set of Givi luggage for a 5th gen with a wingrack. Works well, ugly as hell. Hard to find. I still have the soft and the hard but hardly use either.

As far as power I mounted actual cigarette lighter style plug. You can plug lots of different stuff into it. I have a little dual USB plug that I put in there and then I can charge my phone and my kindle, etc. while I ride.

Tank bag is pretty much a must. I use a medium sized bag from a california company. I have forgotten the name now but they make pretty good products. I have friends that really like the rapid transit bags and others who like Cobins bags.

Some of my friends tour with just a large tank and tail bag and then you can split lanes without bumpers.

As far as lighting if your are touring, be careful. A 5th gen can have charging issues with the stock R/R. I upgraded to a a Yamaha R1 R/R and haven't had any trouble since but the stock units have been known to have issues, especially if you start loading them down with things like running lights.

5. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Oh, I forgot to mention I have the Heli bars also. I have switched back and forth between them and stock. They do not seem to slow me down in corners at all and I can sit slightly more upright with them. They are a little weird looking to me, though.

6. silverbullet132

silverbullet132 New Member

I put a renthal medium bar on my 2000, sargent seat, full givi hard bags, lowered pegs, zero gravity double bubble windshield. Did a 1000 mile day on it with absolutely 0 issues.

7. Y2Kviffer

Y2Kviffer Insider

United States
    Map
    I'm your height. I tried the bar risers and while they helped, they weren't quite right (they lift only). I sold them and bought the HeliBars, they are MUCH better (they lift up and come back). I tried the Givi sport touring windshield...it is tall and kinda fugly IMO, and it helps, BUT...got terrible handlebar shake above 70 mph. I now have the Zero Gravity ST shield and really like it. Lastly a Sargent seat....OMG....sooooo much better than the stock seat....I can ride all day!! These seats should be OEM :smile:

8. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    I forgot to mention that I just installed a Vista Cruise throttle lock. Long distance touring makes my hand go numb. The throttle lock really helps that. The Buell foot pegs were a recent addition and I love the lower position. It was wadding me up and making my knees quite sore. It feels much better now. I haven't lost much ground clearance but I have dragged my boot a time or two.

9. Keager

Keager Member

United States
    Map
    I am looking to do this as well. What did you connect it to or use to accomplish this?

10. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    I installed a battery charger pig tail directly to the pos and neg poles on the battery. It has a two pronged plug with a handy cap to keep dirt out. It is tucked in and zip tied just above the rear brake linkage. The unit has an inline fuse for safety. I can now use a power socket I found on ebay and a plugin USB adapter.

power-sockit.jpg

11. 89-300ce

89-300ce New Member

Canada
    Map
    I just installed 84 vf1000f bars. Work great.

Attached Files:

12. digitallyhip

digitallyhip New Member

Canada
    Try removing the windscreen altogether. It will lower the blast to your chest and is much quieter.

13. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    I just got back from my Colorado trip and have a few touring items to report. The Vista Cruise throttle lock I installed was both a blessing and a curse. It really gave my hand a rest on those long West Texas hauls but I found that often, while it was engaged, I was fighting it to make small adjustments, keeping the bike at speed over hills. I did this without thinking and at times my hand got really sore. I LOVE the Sargent seat. My knees gave out before my butt. The lowered Buell pegs was really nice as well and didn't hinder good progress in the twisties. The Chaise Harper soft luggage I used worked great. It was a snap to pull the whole rig off and it was a one trip carry to the hotel room. They were easy to organize and keep packed well. I didn't run into any significant rain and so the bags didn't get a soak test. I did have all my clothing and gear packed in zip lock bags so I was ready just in case. I hated not having any hard points to mount the straps for my sleeping bag so I made some, quick and dirty, out of some mild steel and sprayed them black. They fit in the socket the seat cal fit into and they worked great without scratching the paint. I mounted a strap around the sub frame, where the passenger handles would be and attached it was a loop to the mounts.

hook01.jpg hook02.jpg

RllwJoe likes this.
  14. speed-

speed- New Member

United Kingdom
    Hi
    Saw your post ... do the bars just fit with no other mods .....they look perfect

Speed-

15. speed-

speed- New Member

United Kingdom
    Hi
    Saw your post ... do the bars just fit with no other mods .....they look perfect

Speed-

16. mhzpower

mhzpower New Member

Brunei Darussalam
    Map
    What difference do the 84 vf1000f bars make? Any way to compare to the original?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

17. speed-

speed- New Member

United Kingdom
    Hi
    So straight away you can notice the difference.. more upright position and much more relaxed if you are of a certain age ..
    you have to make a few slight adjustments
    1. re route the throttle cables to the inside of the fork leg ..and depending on where and what angle you want the levers(I like mine slightly downwards so the wrists don't bend) you have to trim a little off the hose boss on both the master cylinders (you can do this with a dremel or similar ) without disconnecting the hoses .. you have to move the hoses outwards from their original position to give clearance to angle the levers/master cylinders if you want to do this ..but it is very easy to do ...you will also have to drill 2 new switch peg locators in the bars to allow for clearance against the fairing ...again very easy to do
    again many thanks to VFR benny for the original post

mhzpower likes this.